Poll: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
Religion is the best thing in the world
Religion is alright
indifferent
Religion is pretty terrible
Religion is the most evil thing in the world
Other
[Show Results]

How big of a problem is religion in our world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 07:56 AM
What with islamic terrorism and christian creationists, I was wondering your opinion on how bad (or good) religion is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
I think religions are great! Look at all the things we wouldn't have without them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Religion is pretty terrible out of the options listed. The most evil thing in the world is a cat. Angry

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Religions like many group fulfill people's basic need for a sense of belonging, community, and acceptance. Where it oversteps those bounds, is the harm that it they can do. Telling people what to eat and when. Telling people what the can and can not do sexualy. Telling what to say, think and feel. That is when I feel it becomes harmful.

Now it could be argued and is, that those type of controls can be positive. And in some cases it just may be. Like when you meet one of those people that say "If it wasn'the for my religion i'd go around killing everyone." Those people ether suffer from a mental disorder or don't really mean it. But saying things like that demonstrates two things to me. 1. They've been so brainwashed that the feel if the ever left the group their lives would immediately turn for the worse. 2. They've heard other people use it before and it resonated with them so they feel it will resonate with who ever they'really saying it to.

Most people I know that are believers arn'the religious. And don't give it a second thought. The ones that are very religious the ones that feel this is the only way of life show tremendous signs of brain washing. Repeating mantras, making sure you know what God and what religion they are a part of so their religion gets the credit for there good deed, or act of kindness. Even though it wasn't the religion that did it. It was them.

Religions aren't going anywhere for a long time. You don't mold clay with a sledge hammer. You shape it, adjust it, slowly. Conformity is the only way of destroying any religion. So all we can do is pick little pieces off at a time.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
19-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Anything good that relgion provides can be found in non religious ways. Then all you're left with are the nasty side effects.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
19-11-2016, 10:01 AM
(19-11-2016 08:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think religions are great! Look at all the things we wouldn't have without them.

Gregorian Chants?
19-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Religions are fine. The problem, is the religious.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-11-2016, 11:24 AM
(19-11-2016 08:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think religions are great! Look at all the things we wouldn't have without them.

[Image: DSCN2240.jpg~original]

[Image: DSCN2224.jpg~original]

[Image: DSCN2220.jpg~original]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-11-2016, 11:29 AM
I will add to this list of architectural splendor

[Image: 320135_orig.jpg]

and arguably the forbidden city as well

[Image: forbidden-city-over-view-beijing-china-1288484584.jpg]
19-11-2016, 11:37 AM
It's a symptom more than problem

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post