Poll: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
Religion is the best thing in the world
Religion is alright
indifferent
Religion is pretty terrible
Religion is the most evil thing in the world
Other
[Show Results]

How big of a problem is religion in our world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 02:00 PM
How big of a problem is religion in our world?
It's more than bad as it teach people to disregard this life in the name of some imagined shit called afterlife. Religion is also oppresive and fullnof stupid taboos that sheep want tooo force on others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-11-2016, 03:41 PM
RE: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
Religion exists because it tries to give purpose to humankind. Although philosophy is enough for that.
Instead of looking at all the evil things religion has brought, one could look at the good things it has caused(missionaries, charities,etc)
Although, you could say that charities and ngos would exist without religion. But then, I could argue that evil would exist without religion too.

Religion is something man made up to cope with its problem of the time and it continues to be moulded to be adapted to current times. As far as outdated beliefs go, that is due to stupid people picking and choosing what they want(or what they think is right). It has little to do with the religions themselves. At least that what I think.

So, to answer your question, it is not that big of a problem. Its status hasn't changed in millenia. You must also realize that stupid people have also ALWAYS existed and usually are a minority.
19-11-2016, 03:58 PM
(19-11-2016 11:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Religions are fine. The problem, is the religious.

Just for a change I agtreee with you, OLB!

Religion per se is no worse than deep hero worship or pop fandom. It's how it fucks up some people's minds that is the problem!

Psychopaths will be psychopaths and sociopaths will be sociopaths regardless of whatever they use to rationalise their actions.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
20-11-2016, 11:33 AM
@Underdog

Where I live trying to outlaw abortion or stop euthanasia from being legalized is done on religious ground. So it is far from being a small problem and list does not end at this.

I couldn't care less if religion was about providing sense of purpose. But from where I stand it is nothing more than shit used to force one taboos onto others.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-11-2016, 08:15 PM
(19-11-2016 02:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's more than bad as it teach people to disregard this life in the name of some imagined shit called afterlife. Religion is also oppresive and fullnof stupid taboos that sheep want tooo force on others.

Yup, this pretty much sums up my opinion.
20-11-2016, 08:28 PM
(20-11-2016 11:33 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Where I live trying to outlaw abortion or stop euthanasia from being legalized is done on religious ground. So it is far from being a small problem and list does not end at this.

(19-11-2016 02:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's more than bad as it teach people to disregard this life in the name of some imagined shit called afterlife.

It seems to me Szuchow that you just made a contradictory statement. In one post you claim that the religious are trying to outlaw abortion and euthanasia, which I would consider to be a very deep respect for this life. Yet in your next post you say that religion teaches people to disregard this life.

It is rather odd is it not? That an atheist who does not believe in an afterlife would support the cessation of it, and that the religious who do believe in an afterlife are the most prominent supporters in regards to these two topics.

Yet oddly enough at the same time, many atheists do not support executing of violent and dangerous criminals who have committed atrocious and heinous crimes. Yet many religious are for their execution. It would seem to me then that the religious are more concerned with protecting the community from dangerous criminals more than atheists.
20-11-2016, 08:41 PM
The death penalty doesn't protect the community appreciably better than life imprisonment. I'm opposed to it largely because there are multiple instances of innocent people being framed for crimes. If they aren't executed, they have a chance at freedom someday if the wrongful conviction is overturned.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
20-11-2016, 09:30 PM
(20-11-2016 08:41 PM)Astreja Wrote:  The death penalty doesn't protect the community appreciably better than life imprisonment. I'm opposed to it largely because there are multiple instances of innocent people being framed for crimes. If they aren't executed, they have a chance at freedom someday if the wrongful conviction is overturned.

So you're not against execution, but you are for animal cruelty. Also community infers everyone not just those living on the outside, but for those who have to live on the inside to. Also life imprisonment is a death sentence just a slow one while keeping them caged like an animal. Which by the way would put those on the inside in more harm, animals kept in captivity and isolation often develop behavioral abnormalities which usually include increased aggression. This in term essentially makes violent criminals more susceptible to violent actions than when they went it.

Innocent convictions are the result of how the equation is processed not the equation itself. A dead murderer murders no more.
20-11-2016, 09:54 PM
(20-11-2016 09:30 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So you're not against execution, but you are for animal cruelty.

Animal cruelty? Certainly not. You, however, appear to have little to no problem with collateral damage in the form of innocent people dying.

*heavy sigh* If I could create a machine that captured the energy of hyperbole, it would probably cut the house heating bill in half.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
20-11-2016, 10:33 PM
(20-11-2016 09:54 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 09:30 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So you're not against execution, but you are for animal cruelty.

Animal cruelty? Certainly not. You, however, appear to have little to no problem with collateral damage in the form of innocent people dying.

*heavy sigh* If I could create a machine that captured the energy of hyperbole, it would probably cut the house heating bill in half.

And you appear to have little to no problem with collateral damage in the form of keeping the perpetrators of heinous crimes alive.

Rather no, anything warranting an execution would put the innocent person in with the violent criminals, and you want him to spend the rest of his life inside such an environment? And on top of that, for a crime he didn't even commit? If that isn't cruel I do not know what is.