Poll: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
Religion is the best thing in the world
Religion is alright
indifferent
Religion is pretty terrible
Religion is the most evil thing in the world
Other
[Show Results]

How big of a problem is religion in our world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 10:45 PM
RE: How big of a problem is religion in our world?
I choose My version of cruelty over yours.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2016, 10:48 PM
@C_W

Outlaw abortion and stop euthanasia from being legalized. And it's more about need to control - were it about respect for life then same idiots wanting to rob women of rights would support welfare. That isn't the case, religious nuts care not for life, they only want to force their primitive taboos onto others.

Rest of your post isn't wort commenting.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Most of the conflict in the world right now is religion related.
[+] 1 user Likes SkeptiCal's post
01-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Poll questions insufficient. Unable to respond. In future please be specific.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-01-2017, 07:15 PM
(19-11-2016 07:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  What with islamic terrorism and christian creationists, I was wondering your opinion on how bad (or good) religion is.

Qua religion it is very bad. It is the elevation of mysticism over reason. Faith and force are corollaries of each other. What the world needs right now is rational philosophy. Religion is wrong on metaphysics, epistemology, ethics and ultimately leads to collectivism and authoritarianism. Your question is very timely given what's just happened in Turkey. But your question would be timely on any given day because we seem to always be either a few weeks past the last religion inspired terrorist attack or just a few weeks away from one.

On my view, mysticism is the root of all evil. Who was it that said tat if you can get people to believe absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities? Who ever it was identified the essence of religion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-01-2017, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 07:29 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
As long as people keep their faith to themselves, aren't assholes about it and understand why others might not believe in their faith, I don't see the issue.

03-01-2017, 01:58 AM
(01-01-2017 07:00 PM)SkeptiCal Wrote:  Most of the conflict in the world right now is religion related.

You have some stats to back it up?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-01-2017, 02:07 AM
(01-01-2017 07:00 PM)SkeptiCal Wrote:  Most of the conflict in the world right now is religion related.

Sorry, bud, but most of the conflict in the world right now is greed related. Conflict over resources and who gets to exploit use them.

Historically, almost every conflict can be traced to the same thing. Not joking; read almost any professional military historian writing on this subject.

Religion is just a common means some leaders employ to rile up their people into supporting those greed-conflicts. Recruiting cannon fodder with "but we want their stuff!" can be difficult, y'know.

If you want to see the divide between religion and war-motive, look at the people who conscientiously object to the war on religious grounds, in all of those same conflicts.

Don't get me wrong. I think religious superstition causes many dangerous problems for mankind... but your statement simply doesn't hold water.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson