How bout the good stuff?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2010, 08:34 AM
How bout the good stuff?
To start, this isn't meant to imply we shouldn't discuss the problems in the world. It's just to give a little "perrspective", as I heard a wise man say. It's easy to complain about the things that are wrong. When you talk about the good things you have it's amazing how your mood can completely turn around.

So lets hear it. It's your chance to brag and be proud of the good things in your life!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2010, 09:28 AM
RE: How bout the good stuff?
The internet is working, I have a good book, ice cream and there were 2 positive news today: according to a recent poll, the people still trust the police, and researchers have teached mice to smell bird influenza.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-08-2010, 09:56 AM

I got an 800 on my Biology SAT 2...

I have enough nourishment to provide myself with as many calories as I want...

I have access to fresh water, a roof over my head, and I get to sit around all day browsing around on high speed internet trying to entertain myself over summer vacation.

Sorry, I have given up on optimism. Am I being arrogant because I live in an upper middle class family in an industrialized country? Maybe, but if I didn't take these things for granted, I'd never be able to get on with my life. It is especially bad because it is summer vacation and I really feel like my existence has no purpose. It is those 2 months out of the year where I simply consume, and never produce anything to give back. Maybe my sentiment will be different when I'm back at school and I don't have that much time to just sit around and think about how fucked we are.
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:Am I being arrogant because I live in an upper middle class family in an industrialized country? Maybe

I think your biggest problem is that you're young with too much free time and too much given to you - and I don't mean that as a cut. You are smart enough to know how good you have it, and my sense is you almost resent it. You have an expectation that there has to be more to this life when, in reality, there isn't. This does not make you in any way unique, btw. I think most upper middle class teens all over the world will go through some variation of what you're expressing. I certainly did. You think you know more than you do and expect more than you'll get.

At some point you'll get a job, have to pay rent or mortgage, bills, maybe get married and maybe have kids and with time will have different goals and expectations. You may read that now and think what I'm saying is you will one day settle for less but I don't think that's the case in as much as you'll just want different things out of life. You can believe me or not, and probably not right now.

Which brings me to the topic at hand: as I alluded to in another thread my wife and kids are home from the in-laws and I'm happy to see them, it's a warm but not too hot summer day, I'm off from work this week, everyone is healthy, including my 11 year old dog, my baseball team has just about shat the bed on the season but my pro and college football teams are both still undefeated. I'm caught up on my bills, I'm gainfully employed where many others are not which means I can continue to provide for the people who depend on me to provide for them.

Life is better than I had any right to expect it to be, better than it is for many of the people I know and probably most of the people I don't. While I may bitch and moan from time to time the truth is I've got it really good and have very, very little to complain about.

As a friend of mine likes to say at every opportunity: life is good.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-08-2010, 10:38 AM

I think you have made a great observation. And, I'll admit that my personal life is going great. I guess you can't ask for more, as that is just what the current level of human development offers.

My lack of optimism resides more from the fact that while I may have it great, other people don't. And every day it gets worse, and I don't see it improving.

But I'll take my cynicism outside for some exposure to fresh air. Ummm...

[Image: smileyface.jpg]
25-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:My lack of optimism resides more from the fact that while I may have it great, other people don't. And every day it gets worse, and I don't see it improving.

There are two things I've learned about life: all things are temporary and most the world's misery is not my fault (and, therefore, not my problem). You do what you can and you move on.

The simply fact is that people live better now than they have at any point in history. There are fewer wars, fewer famine, and less misery then at any other point in history. Of course not everything is rosy for all people and, in terms of raw numbers, there are millions of people who do still live in hunger and poverty and places in the world where things really, really suck. But, I don't agree things are not getting at all better. Not for everyone and not all at the same pace, but things are getting better. We've hit an economic blip that has far reaching implications but this, too, is temporary.

Lighten up. School probably starts soon, if it hasn't already. Enjoy the carefree days of limited responsibility and accountability while you still have them. Soon enough you will have your own real problems to deal with. I think that is another of life's certainties, actually.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I wanted to start this thread, but didn't really have time to contribute myself. Now I have a few, so here goes...

It is a perfect day to be outside working in the potato field. The sun is out, it's not too hot, and there's a nice breeze. My potatoes have done extremely well, which means I will be able to feed my family (including three sets of parents, four siblings and their families, and two sets of grandparents) taters for the rest of the year, and hopefully through to next summer. I'll also have some to sell to neighbors, which means extra cash to put towards my daughters horse. (Hope to buy her one next spring).

My wife and two daughters both love me, and we are all healthy. I work hard, but love what I do so much that I usually can't even call it work. I have learned in my short 34 years to appreciate the small things, and to work hard for them. I've learned that money IS important, but what you use it for is even MORE important. How much money you have is only secondary to how well you spend it. I spend more time smiling than I do frowning, and already have crows feet by my eyes from squinting in the warm sun all day, and from laughing often.

Life is good indeed.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I've stopped lying to myself and my family, I haven't been completely ostracized, money's strained but I'm not screwed, I'm freaking living my dream right now, I have a much clearer view on what I want to do with the rest of my life, I learned that I might have a person of similar interests coming over from semi-close to my at-home area who should be fun to meet, I have great friends, I've learned TONS of information in just a few weeks that I completely disregarded in my earlier life, some of my friends trust me enough to come to for advice, and I have 1,600 yen in my pocket right now! =O

Life is good, despite the bad! It's a matter of perspective! Thanks for having a place to show positive perspective, great idea! =D

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2010, 02:26 AM

I recently found a meaning in my life; I started to study a bit instead of wasting 95% of free time on computer games as I used to in the past; I lead quite comfortable life; I don't have to do any heavy work; and - thanks to places like this - I feel that there may yet be some hope for humanity.
30-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, I'm pretty much on cloud nine most of the time Tongue Being an optimist, I can't look at the negatives for very long. But anyways, I just recently finished my summer job and now have free time to read and post on sites like this Tongue I also just moved in with my boyfriend after being separated by long-distance (damn Canada being so big!) for a few years (he's in the army, he doesn't get to choose where he lives). And now I am looking forward to my next year at university with much excitement and nerves. I love school, and I am just ecstatic that I get to read, discuss, and write essays about literature for two semesters Big Grin

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula