How can I discourage proselytizing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 04:43 PM
How can I discourage proselytizing?
Hello all.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle over eager Christians trying to convert me. I'm currently spending a lot of time in the US on business. I need to spend about 3 weeks a month in Alabama overseeing a project. First weekend there I was invited to church. I turned them down saying I didn't believe in a god. Since then I have had various people, many of whom I hadn't met before coming up to me and trying to drag me to church or preaching at me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to stop? I don't want to be rude, I am representing my company after all, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like inq101's post
19-06-2017, 04:49 PM
RE: How can I discourage proselytizing?
Practice your resting bitch face.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 10 users Like Losty's post
19-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Are you in hotels, or are you staying in place long enough to have your own residence to yourself?

If the latter, you can just post a sign saying "no proselytizers" at the property entrance.

If the former, check with the front desk. Ask if they have a policy against door-to-door solicitation of residents.

In either case, violators can be in considerable legal trouble.

Outside of that, for first-time offers, just a simple, blunt "no" is the best option. Don't get into reasons, don't engage. Just draw that line and leave it there. It'll be the difference between a thirty-second exchange and a thirty-minute argument, and it will hurt your business prospects in Alabama less than saying you're an atheist. For ongoing harassment, you may have to draw a harder line.

Try to keep in mind that despite how irritating, harassing, and deep-down obnoxious it is, most of these people are trying to be kind. Church life is a major part of social life and community life in the deep South, especially in a rural area. In social terms, this is akin to inviting you to a potluck or a party. I'm not defending how they're doing it or the poison that comes WITH the potluck, but keeping that in mind might help you keep your temper in check.

If all else fails, go around with headphones on. It'll make it easier to drown out invitations from complete strangers, or just pretend you don't hear them without engaging.

But at the end of the day, it's the American South. Christianity in its most invasive, obnoxious, asshole form is just a fact of life.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
19-06-2017, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2017 05:07 PM by Vera.)
Tell them you've got a migraine and aren't in the mood Rolleyes

I would have suggested telling them you belong to an obscure European religion/denomination, but you already told them you're an atheist.

Maybe suggest you're a vampire and might burst into flames?

Silly jokes aside, this is *exactly* what bugs me so much about religionists (well, among other things) - you are worried about being rude for simply not wanting to be preached at, while what they are doing is orders of magnitude worse and yet it is somehow okay? And they are absolutely incapable of seeing it, too!

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful, was it... But seeing as it is a business trip and you cannot tell them to bugger off...

[Image: imsorryifmyatheismoffends.jpg]

[Image: atheist-cartoon.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 12 users Like Vera's post
19-06-2017, 05:06 PM
(19-06-2017 04:43 PM)inq101 Wrote:  Hello all.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle over eager Christians trying to convert me. I'm currently spending a lot of time in the US on business. I need to spend about 3 weeks a month in Alabama overseeing a project. First weekend there I was invited to church. I turned them down saying I didn't believe in a god. Since then I have had various people, many of whom I hadn't met before coming up to me and trying to drag me to church or preaching at me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to stop? I don't want to be rude, I am representing my company after all, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Oh, you poor thing. Undecided I'm sorry you're going through this religious stupidity. Now you may understand why rational thinking people in the US get their panties in a twist over religious nuts. It drives me crazy too. All I can recommend it that you firmly tell them you're not interested and change the subject..... real fast!

Like....

Them...."If you don't believe in Jesus you'll end up burning in hell for ever!"

You....."I'm not interested." quickly!---> "What's your favorite Alabama style BBQ sauce and do you have any really good recipes?"

Doesn't matter if you hate, hate, hate BBQ sauce, ask them anyway.

Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Dance, is this BBQ sauce the smoked thingy? 'Cause I just tried something my landlady makes, with ketchup and stuff, and something called fumaça (which is like liquefied smell of smoked things Blink ) and it was rather yummy (if probably utterly unhealthy.)

Of course, I love sugar sauces and spice and everything nice(ly seasoned)

[Image: giphy.gif]
See, inq, it totally works!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Ah. You thought you could get them to leave you alone by telling them you don't believe in their god. In fact, it's more like hoping the raccoons will leave your house alone if you feed them. Now you are a pest magnet. Laughat Welcome to 'Murica and the Bible Belt.

While you have to remain civil for business reasons, there are some things you could say:

"Sorry, but I have other plans."
"I really can't fit it into my schedule."
"Oh, is your's the church that has the gay pastor with two husbands? A friend told me to check out his sermons while I was here."

Girl_nails
[+] 8 users Like Rockblossom's post
19-06-2017, 05:25 PM
(19-06-2017 05:19 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  "Sorry, but I have other plans."
"Oh, is your's the church that has the gay pastor with two husbands? A friend told me to check out his sermons while I was here."

One of those isn't likely to get you out of that conversation fast. Guess which one.
19-06-2017, 05:26 PM
(19-06-2017 04:43 PM)inq101 Wrote:  Hello all.

The word is out that there is a soul that needs savin'!

All you can do at this point is continue to say no thank you. You may also mention that it isn't customary to discuss religion (where you are from).

They don't stop, ever...I spend nearly 20 years in the deep south getting the same treatment.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-06-2017, 05:30 PM
(19-06-2017 05:25 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 05:19 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  "Sorry, but I have other plans."

One of those isn't likely to get you out of that conversation fast. Guess which one.
When I lived in Alabama, it worked for me. In fact, the person in question (and all of her friends) tended to give me a wide berth afterward. Yes