How can I discourage proselytizing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 05:31 PM
RE: How can I discourage proselytizing?
Quick subject changes tend to work really well here in the south (limited attention spans and all). I still deal with it every now and then in my neighborhood, but bluntness has worked really well for me and I've somehow managed to not ruffle any feathers by it (I never argue ...just a simple "not interested" does the trick most of the time). My best bud told me a while back that somebody in the neighborhood mentioned my being atheist to him, and he told them that I probably knew the bible better than they did, so trying to "witness" to me was ill-advised.

There was a comedienne that did a really funny routine about this exact thing a few years back ...the whole "thanks for inviting me to join your cult" was pretty hysterical in her comic routine, but in real life it doesn't tend to work out as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grauwyler's post
19-06-2017, 05:33 PM
A knee in the crotch works wonders.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-06-2017, 05:41 PM
(19-06-2017 05:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A knee in the crotch works wonders.....

Tongue

"I don't believe in spanking my kids ...I find that just waving the gun around works a lot better"
-Dennis Leary
19-06-2017, 05:48 PM
(19-06-2017 05:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  Dance, is this BBQ sauce the smoked thingy? 'Cause I just tried something my landlady makes, with ketchup and stuff, and something called fumaça (which is like liquefied smell of smoked things Blink ) and it was rather yummy (if probably utterly unhealthy.)

Of course, I love sugar sauces and spice and everything nice(ly seasoned)

[Image: giphy.gif]
See, inq, it totally works!

Smoked BBQ sauce. Drooling Yummmmmm. Probably causes cancer. Oh, well.

Yeah, all you have to do to anyone from the Southern parts of the US is say "BARBEQUE SAUCE!" and all previous topics are dropped, even if it was Jesus. BBQ sauce takes precedent over all subject matters. It's a religion of it's own down there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Carry a lighter and a deodorant can with you. That way when they tell you about hell, you can exclaim "I am already one with the Flames!" and begin to shoot flame around you.

Alternatively, you just have a policy of saying to these people "business talk only" and walk off if they preach. I don't know how to deal with people so...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
19-06-2017, 05:52 PM
I've never been one to lie so the way I "generally" handle situations like this is just be honest with them (as you have). Thank them for the invite but you would prefer to keep your business relationship exactly that. Tell them that you understand that everyone has a right to believe what they wish (misguided as it may be) but you feel uncomfortable with speaking of religion in a business setting. If they keep on politely request that they stop.

All that said there are some people that you can not rationalize with so at that point in time you just have to do what you have to do. "I don't push my non-belief on you, please don't push your belief system on me". We'll just agree to disagree.

All of this is under the assumption that you are in a business setting representing your business. If it weren't for that... after being polite and that doesn't seem to work then the gloves or off (so to speak). I'm generally tolerant of others to a point. But at some point in time if they keep pressing then I'll destroy them with rational thought. As I've always said. There is no greater fear to a Christian than an informed Atheist.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
19-06-2017, 06:11 PM
(19-06-2017 05:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Smoked BBQ sauce Yummmmmm. Probably causes cancer. Oh, well.

Exactly - oh well. Like I told my editor when he asked me what my retirement plan was - I don't plan to live that long Rolleyes

Quote:Yeah, all you have to do to anyone from the Southern parts of the US is say "BARBEQUE SAUCE!" and all previous topics are dropped, even if it was Jesus. BBQ sauce takes precedent over all subject matters. It's a religion of it's own down there.

And then, just when you is breathing a sigh of relief and is salivating already, they take this out Gasp

[Image: 1859997325.jpg]

Honestly, am *dying* to read it now!

[Image: BBQ-Jesus.jpg]

[Image: jesusbbq.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-06-2017, 06:28 PM
I take it that this is happening with the liaised company's employees? You don't have to take that, but I don't know that you even have a chance to talk to HR, since your are a consultant for your company(?). It's going to stink if this is the case and it messes up your home business. At a hotel/motel, just tell them to push off, that you aren't interested.
19-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

(19-06-2017 04:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Are you in hotels, or are you staying in place long enough to have your own residence to yourself?
Hotel, but most of the time I get approached at work, during lunch, breakfast, etc.

Quote:Try to keep in mind that despite how irritating, harassing, and deep-down obnoxious it is, most of these people are trying to be kind. Church life is a major part of social life and community life in the deep South, especially in a rural area. In social terms, this is akin to inviting you to a potluck or a party. I'm not defending how they're doing it or the poison that comes WITH the potluck, but keeping that in mind might help you keep your temper in check.
Yeah, I worked that out soon enough. One of the reasons I looked up boards like this to try and find help without being rude. I'm likely to be back and forth here for at least another year, so don't want to turn into a social pariah or anything.

(19-06-2017 05:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Oh, you poor thing. Undecided I'm sorry you're going through this religious stupidity. Now you may understand why rational thinking people in the US get their panties in a twist over religious nuts. It drives me crazy too. All I can recommend it that you firmly tell them you're not interested and change the subject..... real fast!

Like....

Them...."If you don't believe in Jesus you'll end up burning in hell for ever!"

You....."I'm not interested." quickly!---> "What's your favorite Alabama style BBQ sauce and do you have any really good recipes?"

Doesn't matter if you hate, hate, hate BBQ sauce, ask them anyway.

Evil_monster
I'll try that out. Thanks.

(19-06-2017 05:19 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Ah. You thought you could get them to leave you alone by telling them you don't believe in their god. In fact, it's more like hoping the raccoons will leave your house alone if you feed them. Now you are a pest magnet. Laughat Welcome to 'Murica and the Bible Belt.
I wish I'd known in advance. I'd have avoided or deflected the subject. Before this my experience of the US was limited to the more touristy areas. New York, California, etc. nothing like this.

(19-06-2017 05:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A knee in the crotch works wonders.....
that might just get me fired. I'll put it down as plan Z.
19-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Hand them some atheist tracts. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post