How can I discourage proselytizing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: How can I discourage proselytizing?
(19-06-2017 07:24 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Hand them some atheist tracts. Smile

I'm worried that might encourage them. Or maybe get me lynched.

I don't mind debating. I just don't want to have to do it 3 times a day. At least, not unless I can get paid for it. What's the going rate for deconverting a southern Baptist? Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 08:07 PM
(19-06-2017 07:51 PM)inq101 Wrote:  

I don't mind debating. I just don't want to have to do it 3 times a day. At least, not unless I can get paid for it. What's the going rate for deconverting a southern Baptist? Wink

> That's the ticket! Say you'll debate them for money. No coin, no discussion. Your time is not free! Thumbsup
19-06-2017, 08:47 PM
(19-06-2017 04:43 PM)inq101 Wrote:  Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to stop? I don't want to be rude, I am representing my company after all, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

If someone is rude to me, I don't mind being rude to them.

My advice is stay calm and smile, be honest, and don't give an inch. You have your rights too.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-06-2017, 09:00 PM
(19-06-2017 07:51 PM)inq101 Wrote:  

Well then, just say, "hey, one debate per day, and so-and-so got in first."

.... it looks like Alabama is a one-party consent state. That means it only requires the consent of one party to a communication for recording that communication to be legal. That means you only need your own permission to record a conversation that you're in. (EDIT: I'm not a legal expert, though, so double-check for yourself.) It might be interesting to just record how many times you get witnessed to in a week, montage it into a video with stats, and put it up on YouTube with some notes about how much time this is taking out of your day and can't you all just let me live my life?

.... okay, actually, THAT will get you lynched.

You have to say "Can't y'all let me live my life".
19-06-2017, 09:02 PM
You could do this :

or just say "Do we HAVE to do this again ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Tell the next one to please stop as you are not interested and ask them to pass the word.

When that doesn't work, profanity is your ally. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Here's an alternative that maybe I missed in the comments so far... why don't you go along?

If a personal anecdote means anything, I can share an experience from when I first moved to Oz... a similar scenario with a colleague who was heavily into the Jesus malarkey.

It being Sydney, religious beliefs rarely came up although some fellow consultants professed to be church-goers or were in the private 'personal beliefs' camp.

But one lady obviously felt the need to save me. She invited me to her church ... in an ingratiating "I hope I'm not offending your beliefs" kinda way ... thus displaying her lack of comprehension, of course.

I said "Thank you, yes, I'd love to. But are you sure you want me there because I'm likely to challenge anything I find incredulous" (or words to that effect).

My plan was to attend, be nice, take notes and offer her a critique afterwards highlighting any logical fallacies and such.

I was nice, I did take notes but also I couldn't help giggling at the silly bits or doing that involuntary "Ha!" ejaculation when it got really absurd.

My colleague and her husband kept looking at me doing that eyebrow thing which is kinda saying "See? aren't you glad you're hearing this?", which just made me giggle more.

Afterwards, I thanked her saying that it's fun to have one's non-beliefs challenged occasionally.

The upshot... my colleague never asked me again. Perhaps she had decided that I was beyond saving or maybe I had triggered some cognitive dissonance that made her uncomfortable or more likely her friends in the congregation had said something to her that made her feel embarrassed.

I've had similar but different experiences in Malaysia too but I've found generally speaking the adherents to Islam tend to be more of the cultural variety rather than the salvation variety, and more curious to hear challenging views even if those views scare them.

tl;dr Go for it and treat it like an anthropological investigation.

Thumbsup

20-06-2017, 01:03 AM
This was specifically for Jehovah's Witnesses, but most of them would work well enough for Christians in general. It probably shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I just couldn't resist. I love this!

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
20-06-2017, 01:18 AM
(19-06-2017 04:43 PM)inq101 Wrote:  First weekend there I was invited to church. I turned them down saying I didn't believe in a god. Since then I have had various people, many of whom I hadn't met before coming up to me and trying to drag me to church or preaching at me...

Can I ask who first invited you to their church, and why they did so? And who exactly are the people still hounding you?

Are they connected with your business interests, as I note you can't afford to be too insulting towards them—presumably as that may adversely affect your commercial relationship?

If they're nothing more than disconnected local bible-bashers, then just tell them in no uncertain terms to "fuck off... please."

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
20-06-2017, 01:26 AM

Seriously though, the civilized way to handle the situation is to endure their treatment. Either squeeze the frustration into a ball and release that at some later point, or do what believers do and go to your happy place while they talk in your general direction.
If they feel like they've done their due diligence, they'll eventually grow tired.

There rarely is a constructive quick-fix for people who don't understand boundaries.
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post