How can I discourage proselytizing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2017, 08:37 AM
RE: How can I discourage proselytizing?
(20-06-2017 02:03 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  "....well in Britain, religion is treated as something very personal and is not discussed at work or socially"

Like those ferrets, the tub of treacle and the uncle we never talk about, who... [Image: eusa_shhh.gif]

Indeed, that's exactly how religiousness should be treated - like a dirty, shameful little secret. Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
20-06-2017, 10:12 AM
(19-06-2017 04:43 PM)inq101 Wrote:  Hello all.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle over eager Christians trying to convert me. I'm currently spending a lot of time in the US on business. I need to spend about 3 weeks a month in Alabama overseeing a project. First weekend there I was invited to church. I turned them down saying I didn't believe in a god. Since then I have had various people, many of whom I hadn't met before coming up to me and trying to drag me to church or preaching at me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to stop? I don't want to be rude, I am representing my company after all, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

depends on the situation. If I am working I just let them talk and I keep moving on with my job. if I am sitting with them just talking, I just say, like they do, I don't believe that.

however, if its time to engage, I list the facts as ask them to tell me the most reasonable conclusion. "goddonit"? really?

Of course, many theists and non-theist are not interested in how to form reasonable conclusions as they are about self justifying a personal bias, need, or emotional filler. i really don't hang with those types.
20-06-2017, 10:14 AM
(20-06-2017 08:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 02:03 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  "....well in Britain, religion is treated as something very personal and is not discussed at work or socially"

Like those ferrets, the tub of treacle and the uncle we never talk about, who... [Image: eusa_shhh.gif]

Indeed, that's exactly how religiousness should be treated - like a dirty, shameful little secret. Yes

hmm, rational. you should be teaching little children everywhere how to handle people that don't think like you. Yes
20-06-2017, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2017 10:23 AM by Vera.)
hmm, dumb. someone should teach you how not to multipost.

Better yet, how to find a place worthy of your contributions.

[Image: stock-illustration-67754045-cartoon-poop.jpg]

Shoo, fly Drinking Beverage

20-06-2017, 10:30 AM
(20-06-2017 10:20 AM)Vera Wrote:  hmm, dumb. someone should teach you how not to multipost.

Better yet, how to find a place worthy of your contributions.

Shoo, fly Drinking Beverage

lmao;

One thing is true. showing your responses to a class and talking about it will teach them how to handle your type of predator. Belief predator that is. theist and non-theists have predation, but we can, using common sense and reason, to sort them out.

just a fact.
20-06-2017, 10:34 AM
If you insist on vomiting your brain (and I use the word extremely loosely. Much like the shit that comes out of it) evacuations upon this place, could you at least master *some* English and a bit of grammar?

Just a kindly request. Drinking Beverage

Inq, meet your first TTA troll, or whatever that poster is. Sorry it had to happen so soon. Luckily, he's the stinky exception, not the rule here.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
20-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I've myself started using "Sorry, but I feel that my religious beliefs, or lack of, are something to keep personal, not public."

It's worked well enough, though I don't really live in the bible belt. Still, I DO get proselityzed to by customers at work, (cashier) and it seems to do the job without being impolite. And if they insist, it makes THEM look rude (not that they, perhaps unintentionally, already are for asking something that personal).

If they persist, I usually tell them upfront that they are making me uncomfortable, that it is a personal subject and they are being obtrusive.

I've never had anyone keep going after that, but I suppose if anyone did I would start debating them. I'm not a strong debater but I feel I can defend myself well eneough and have thrown people into a loop before. Perhaps if met with such resistance, people will stop trying.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
20-06-2017, 11:43 AM

I'm looking for advice on how to handle over eager Christians trying to convert me. I'm currently spending a lot of time in the US on business. I need to spend about 3 weeks a month in Alabama overseeing a project. First weekend there I was invited to church. I turned them down saying I didn't believe in a god. Since then I have had various people, many of whom I hadn't met before coming up to me and trying to drag me to church or preaching at me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to stop? I don't want to be rude, I am representing my company after all, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Ah, a line from one of my favorite movies, The Simple Life Of Noah Dearborne. It's about an old man who lives all alone on a farm and works all the time. Some people are asking him some very personal questions and keeping him from leaving. With a stern look on his face, he says in a gravely voice, "I can tell your folks never taught you one bit of manners". This would be the perfect thing to say if you've said no and they keep pressing you. People in the south, at least where I grew up, are big into manners.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
20-06-2017, 01:24 PM

"Religion is a private matter and one that should be kept that way, thanks."
20-06-2017, 04:39 PM
I never encountered those situations when I was living in France, but since I moved to the Netherlands, I sometime have those proselytizing people in the street trying to give me flyers for their church or community. I usually just say "I don't believe in god", most of the time it's enough to discourage those who try to approach me to talk about god (the fact that I'm very tall, have a stern face, very long hair and a beard probably helps). When I have insisting people, then I give a hint that this is pointless by the tone of my answer : with a tone that shows boredom and latent irritation, you can be sure they won't insist (ok it's not very nice, but trying to answer with a friendly tone will end up with them clinging to you trying to engage a conversation about god, then you'll be indeed bored and irritated, they'll make you lose your time, so better to cut is short).
Also, for jehovah's witnesses (the few that dared knocking at my door when I was living in Belgium) : "I'm not interested, goodbye *closing door*", works pretty well.