How can I ever be at peace with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: How can I ever be at peace with death?
You are supposed to be scared of death while you are in your reproductive age. Preservation of the species and all that.

It gets less scary as you grow old. As your body wears out, death doesn't look so bad anymore. Eventually it will become your friend.

What sucks is not your own death but everybody else's, should you survive them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
12-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I've seen so many friends and family go gracefully. I think of how remarkable they were in life, and how few people are thinking of them any more.
It reminds me to live today and be caring and helpful to others, to have some of that grace. It makes my time have some meaning now, but this does not bring me fear.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
12-03-2016, 11:30 AM
(12-03-2016 09:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  You are supposed to be scared of death while you are in your reproductive age. Preservation of the species and all that.

It gets less scary as you grow old. As your body wears out, death doesn't look so bad anymore. Eventually it will become your friend.

What sucks is not your own death but everybody else's, should you survive them.

Amen brother death does become your friend its certainly mine I'm nearly 49 getting really old now and looking forward to eternal rest / oblivion.
12-03-2016, 11:47 AM
As has been mentioned, it gets easier to accept as you age. Maybe take a walk to burn off that adrenaline from the anxiety. Sorry that you are in this state.
12-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Some ways are to not truly care so deeply about life, the alternative you deal with. Not have a trip or surge out of the ideas of choice or freedom. All those power indulgent ideas that pretty much encourage one to think ones life is deep. It's just a manner of what we are in the moment that will be, not what we will be later on.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-03-2016, 12:02 PM
(12-03-2016 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It doesn't happen very often, but whenever I think about death, it frightens me to the point where I just freeze up and can't do anything for a while. The idea that this short life is it, that I will lose consciousness one day and never regain it, not in one year, not in ten years, not in a billion years... it frightens me so much. As I'm writing this post I'm close to tears because I'm so afraid. I don't want this to be it. This is too short. This isn't enough. Fuck, fuck, fuck, getting a minor panic attack. Sadcryface

Go volunteer at a hospital or care center. Very often, I've seen death to be very natural. When you're much older(surprisingly) you will see it as ''natural", and (can't explain it), something like a ''switch" flips on, and you're ready for it. Some even welcome it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I wish I could offer some words of wisdom but I can't. I am 69 years old and death has never scared me. I have a natural instinct for survival and I've been in life threatening situations many times but the thought of being in another doesn't bother me at all. I'm sorry to have no good advice for you.
12-03-2016, 12:53 PM
(12-03-2016 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It doesn't happen very often, but whenever I think about death, it frightens me to the point where I just freeze up and can't do anything for a while. The idea that this short life is it, that I will lose consciousness one day and never regain it, not in one year, not in ten years, not in a billion years... it frightens me so much. As I'm writing this post I'm close to tears because I'm so afraid. I don't want this to be it. This is too short. This isn't enough. Fuck, fuck, fuck, getting a minor panic attack. Sadcryface

Well, all you have to do is give your heart to God Jr. and rest in the belief that you will be with Him forever and ever. No problem. Believe that until they turn out the lights and life will be easier for you. Billions have!
12-03-2016, 01:53 PM

It is an individual thing, people are afraid of heights and spiders and I am afraid of flying and heights. There words for every type of phobia anyone can have.

The only comforting thing I can say is that it will feel exactly the same after you die as is did before you were born. There is no fictional heaven to be bribed with or fictional hell to be tortured with. The only reasonable fear is missing your loved ones and or prolonged pain. Outside that seems needless to fret over something you cant stop and will happen to everyone at some point.

But, it is equally absurd though for humans to go around saying they are not afraid of death in certain contexts. If you are willing to murder and die over an absurdity like Germans being the chosen people, or slamming planes into buildings because you think Allah is real, those are really stupid reasons to risk your life over.

It is also stupid in regards to bar fights or even guns or drinking and driving. Everyone thinks they know the outcome and may think they are a lawyer and end up in prison or dead because of selection bias and sample rate error.

The truth is that on average worldwide 50 million humans die from everything at every age, stillborn, childhood disease, natural disaster, crime and war and old age. Certainly humans can and should seek ways to reduce harm and extend life, but the ride always ends no matter what. It is would be just as silly to fret over the death of a tree or cockroach or bacteria.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
12-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Be at peace with it? I fucking embrace it. The alternative scares the shit outta me.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post