How can I ever be at peace with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2016, 08:39 PM
RE: How can I ever be at peace with death?
(12-03-2016 07:11 PM)julep Wrote:  I was really afraid of childbirth. I had lots of panic attacks contemplating it. And childbirth was awful, but I got through it. I don't like the idea of death, either, but at that point I'm figuring the body's going to do what it's going to do. When I wake up at 4 a.m. and think, I'm going to die someday, I try just to say yes to that thought and then put it away as best as I can. It takes too much energy to wall off thoughts of death, better to let the thought come and fade. Obsessing about death one way or the other just makes the life I have more annoying. I already have bills, politics, and a family to do that, so I put the idea of death in the corner as much as possible.

This is another good take on it. I used to obsess on a lot of stuff, but it gets to the point where it's just too much, and you have to realize that it can't own your life, that you do, and basically ignore it. Shit happens. I ride my bike all over the place for exercise. People drive stupid; you just have to watch out for them. I'm not going to let other people's stupid ruin my day...until someone stupid does. Until that day, I will do what I want. Hell, I could be killed by a meteorite. It better have good aim, I'm not in one place all that long.

Really intelligent people think about a lot of things, and are anxious a lot. Don't let the things you think about ruin your life, just because a lot of them could lead to your demise. A shit ton of them will end up not ending your life, and you will have spent way too much time cringing in a dark corner of your mind. I've been there, and acknowledging that I didn't believe in a god made a world of difference.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Yeah we need to focus on life. I saw a big band today and may end up playing in a 17 piece orchestra. And I'm near death. But the show today was fun and I'd enjoy it on the day. All there is is now. Now after now after......

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
13-03-2016, 08:32 AM
The idea of not existing I'm fine with. I'm somewhat disappointed by the fact that I might not live long enough either to see us reach a Star Trek like society or for a catastrophic collapse to send us back to the stone age, both of which would be awesome, but not so disappointed that I obsess over it.

The actual moment of death, however, is something I've given a lot of thought to over the years. I was 19 the first time someone tried to take my life. Theirs was taken instead, though not by me. I was not yet in a combat role at the time, which was probably a good thing, because I completely froze up. The whole dear with the headlights in its eyes kind of thing :/ It caused me do a lot of self reflection on my mortality at what was probably an earlier age than most, but for similar reasons as what others have mentioned.

There were two things that bothered me. First, the concept of dying (not to be confused with the state of being dead), and second, my realization of how the body's physiological response affects one's ability to act in accordance with one's objectives at the moment of truth, so to speak. I resolved to not let that happen again, and based off a previously mentioned quote from a cheesy movie (Ghost Dog) that I nonetheless found quite thought provoking, I read the book from which it was derived, Hagakure, and essentially built my life's guiding philosophy around the idea that I'm a dead man walking and had best get used to the idea.

To this day, I still maintain the almost daily habit of meditating on the various ways my end might come and, with my mind clear and focused, imagine myself not only dealing with the pain but pushing through to achieve my objective in spite of it. This could range from accomplishing a mission under fire to saving a cat from a burning building to using every last bit of willpower I've got to wave my middle finger with a grin on my face as I get burned alive ISIS style. Any situation I can imagine myself getting into, I've mediated my way through and conquered within my mind many times with the purpose of being psychologically prepared to take proper action when it actually matters. On one hand, I believe I've reached the point where I can honestly say it doesn't bother me. The downside is that I've reached it to the point that I find it almost impossible to relate to other people and what I consider to be their make believe problems. Hard to take the trivial matters of society seriously when you're not intimidated by their potential negative consequences.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
13-03-2016, 08:41 AM
(12-03-2016 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It doesn't happen very often, but whenever I think about death, it frightens me to the point where I just freeze up and can't do anything for a while. The idea that this short life is it, that I will lose consciousness one day and never regain it, not in one year, not in ten years, not in a billion years... it frightens me so much. As I'm writing this post I'm close to tears because I'm so afraid. I don't want this to be it. This is too short. This isn't enough. Fuck, fuck, fuck, getting a minor panic attack. Sadcryface

I'm truly sorry that you feel like this. I don't know what to say or do to make you feel better. If I could, I would.

This is probably one of the reasons why religtardology has such a strong hold over mankind. It gives hope that there is a life beyond death.

I was reading somewhere that, once upon a time, Man did not fear death. He accepted it as part of life. Then, christardology came along and created heaven and hell and a god that was powerful and vengeful. If one didn't do his bidding, he sent you to hell - not just for a short period - but for eternity. Little wonder then that Man became fearful of dying.

Christards have damaged Man so much.

I'm sorry that I can't help.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
13-03-2016, 09:11 AM
I still get anxiety attacks when I think about dying. Its awful, I have to find ways to distract my thoughts to get past it.

I know and accept its going to happen, but it doesnt make thinking about it any easier and honestly it pisses me off that people think I shouldnt be scared of it.

So I understand.
13-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Your all invited to my funeral whenever it happens guys and gals. I won't be there myself but nevertheless your all welcome!!!

Existential Nihilism is my philosophy Vosur. The universe does not care for how you feel or the life you wish to lead and that doesn't have to be a scary thing. In fact for me personally the "void" of returning to that stage of before I was born (Non existence) is actually quite liberating.

Fuck everything, do what you want, say what you want, be what you want (if you can take the consequences these actions may bring)

You can't fight death, you can't put it off ultimately, so you may as well make peace with it and try to accept it. Accept it and let go.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
13-03-2016, 01:45 PM
(13-03-2016 09:17 AM)bemore Wrote:  Your all invited to my funeral whenever it happens guys and gals. I won't be there myself but nevertheless your all welcome!!!

Existential Nihilism is my philosophy Vosur. The universe does not care for how you feel or the life you wish to lead and that doesn't have to be a scary thing. In fact for me personally the "void" of returning to that stage of before I was born (Non existence) is actually quite liberating.

Fuck everything, do what you want, say what you want, be what you want (if you can take the consequences these actions may bring)

You can't fight death, you can't put it off ultimately, so you may as well make peace with it and try to accept it. Accept it and let go.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-03-2016, 03:15 PM
(12-03-2016 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It doesn't happen very often, but whenever I think about death, it frightens me to the point where I just freeze up and can't do anything for a while. The idea that this short life is it, that I will lose consciousness one day and never regain it, not in one year, not in ten years, not in a billion years... it frightens me so much. As I'm writing this post I'm close to tears because I'm so afraid. I don't want this to be it. This is too short. This isn't enough. Fuck, fuck, fuck, getting a minor panic attack. Sadcryface

Maybe you like life too much? Big Grin

Death reminds us just how small we are in relationship to the universe and in relationship to time. Embrace how utterly insignificant we all are, Alexander the Great, Michael Jackson, George Washington, Kanye West, none of them will be remembered after our sun goes nova or we go extinct.

It's the burden of having enough intelligence to understand what death is, but we also understand our place in the cosmos, a gift and a curse simultaneously. Thumbsup

[Image: 6a00d8341bf7f753ef01a73d939281970d-pi]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
15-03-2016, 03:24 PM
It's unreasonable to be "at peace with death". That would be rather like being "at peace with combat". Sane people struggle with that. (I didn't have any problems, but then I never claimed to be sane.)

Death may be life's biggest inconvenience, but there's no getting away from it. When you accept that you may be on your way to a more peaceful attitude about it. Don't sweat the things you cannot change, make the most of the things you can.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-03-2016, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 03:50 PM by Banjo.)
The irony of "How will I be at peace with death" is astonishing. Big Grin

[Just realised. This is post 7000 for me. Never thought I'd live so long!"

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post