How can I ever be at peace with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: How can I ever be at peace with death?
(12-03-2016 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It doesn't happen very often, but whenever I think about death, it frightens me to the point where I just freeze up and can't do anything for a while. The idea that this short life is it, that I will lose consciousness one day and never regain it, not in one year, not in ten years, not in a billion years... it frightens me so much. As I'm writing this post I'm close to tears because I'm so afraid. I don't want this to be it. This is too short. This isn't enough. Fuck, fuck, fuck, getting a minor panic attack. Sadcryface

My favorite quote when I lapse into a fear of death:

Quote:I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

― Mark Twain

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 03:51 PM
(15-03-2016 03:24 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's unreasonable to be "at peace with death". That would be rather like being "at peace with combat". Sane people struggle with that. (I didn't have any problems, but then I never claimed to be sane.)

Death may be life's biggest inconvenience, but there's no getting away from it. When you accept that you may be on your way to a more peaceful attitude about it. Don't sweat the things you cannot change, make the most of the things you can.

The peace comes with having a purpose. I sleep better on deployment when it's hot as fuck with camel spiders running around and occasional indirect fire alarm clocks than I do at home, where I feel like I'm just waiting for the next arbitrary, unnecessary, pointless problem to present itself in a life that has no real challenges.

'Murican Canadian
15-03-2016, 04:10 PM
(15-03-2016 03:51 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The peace comes with having a purpose. I sleep better on deployment when it's hot as fuck with camel spiders running around and occasional indirect fire alarm clocks than I do at home, where I feel like I'm just waiting for the next arbitrary, unnecessary, pointless problem to present itself in a life that has no real challenges.
I used to sleep on the bow of the boat and look up, just so I could see buckets of rain pissing down on me. It's truly a wonderful thing, because you realize you're not drowning, you're just weathering away.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
15-03-2016, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 06:40 PM by carol.)
I do not know if this would be useful, but what caused me to lose most of my fear of death was to go out and do challenging things that scared me. The more I forced myself to face fears the less frightened I was-
(with a few exceptions, because I caused myself to develop a fear of heights that still persists...I was hiking down the grand canyon and slipped and fell down a slope over the edge and started sliding down- I still have a fear of heights which I have to overcome every time I go on mountain hikes.)
When I came closer to death a few times it lost most of the power it seemed to have. For me, facing down the fears, and making myself do things to overcome fear works. When I feel scared I get mad at myself and just do it. For me, fear of death was just fear of the unknown and of pain...I have been sick enough to almost die several times so far, and put myself in some places which were dangerous, which brought me close a few times...and do not feel afraid as much as stupid, annoyed and saddened by it.

If you could do a few things that scare you a bit, not to the point that you would get physcally hurt, but enough to face down any emotional fear about it (but not be as stupid about it, I have tended to be a bit reckless, and so you will be smarter than I am), it may work for you. Also, working up a sweat helps me too- biking, a stairmaster- anything that gets me out of breath and sweating.
18-03-2016, 12:35 PM
(12-03-2016 02:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Be at peace with it? I fucking embrace it. The alternative scares the shit outta me.

Me too. I had a girlfriend in high school [50 plus years ago] who was a religious nut. She said the good thing about death was that you got to be with Jesus for eternity. That idea freaked me out. I always thought the Biblical Jesus was fucking boring and spending eternity with him was an unbearable thought. In fact, being conscious for eternity is an unbearable thought. At some point, not very far into it, the boredom would crush me. I do hope this life is it and I'm sure it is. I've had a wonderful life with a family I love. I've met some great people including some "internet" friends that I'll probably never meet in person yet they are good friends. I've owned some of the finest horses ever born. But, eventually I want the door to close on my life before it gets dull and it will get dull.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
18-03-2016, 04:16 PM
How can I ever be at peace with death?
Yeah, it sucks that life is short, and you only get one crack at it.

But remember, that you won't know you are dead, you won't remember or miss your life... Consider the fact that you didn't exist at all for nearly 14 billion years until you were conceived and born, it wasn't all that bad really...

It's not easy to imagine none existence... But I'm sure you won't be thinking "fuck this shit, I wish I was alive."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
18-03-2016, 08:13 PM
It's a mighty short trip
from the cradle to the crypt,
so you better get it while you can.
-Steve Goodman

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-03-2016, 11:04 PM
(15-03-2016 03:24 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's unreasonable to be "at peace with death". That would be rather like being "at peace with combat". Sane people struggle with that. (I didn't have any problems, but then I never claimed to be sane.)

Death may be life's biggest inconvenience, but there's no getting away from it. When you accept that you may be on your way to a more peaceful attitude about it. Don't sweat the things you cannot change, make the most of the things you can.

[Emphasis added -- Thump]

Accepting the inevitable is one form of peace. Is it unreasonable to accept the inevitable?

I don't think you really thought this post through before you hit "send". Your first sentence and your last sentence say things which are diametrically opposed.
19-03-2016, 05:09 AM
I plan on going transhumanist and upload my consciousness into a gigolo sex robot, so I've never really given much thought to death. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-03-2016, 06:32 AM
(19-03-2016 05:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I plan on going transhumanist and upload my consciousness into a gigolo sex robot, so I've never really given much thought to death. Drinking Beverage
Yeah but you could end up being bought by a 400lb woman with boils and sores and that would suck, also you could be bought as a novelty for a gay sex orgy fine if you are gay but not so good if you're straight.