How can I make my post better?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: How can I make my post better?
(06-02-2014 09:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 08:36 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Let go of the self doubt, be yourself warts and all grammar Nazis be-damned.
ignore the like+ count, its mostly long-time members buffing each other out of habit.

That said, just don't quote unsubstantiated facts as fact.

Never knew I made claims that were wrong damn i feel like ive done something wrongSadcryface

Haha I was worried you may take that as specific to you.
It was meant as a generalisation, as far as I know your not guilty of it.

But about beer , yes the can't drink bit is outrageous!!!
Although with Merican gun laws, maybe drunk teens with AR15's is not so smart.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
When I read the title "How can I make my POST better?" I thought maybe you had a rough draft and wanted us to correct your grammar. *d'oh!*

Anyhow, just pretend you're old enough to drink beer and apparently post more redheads. Big Grin

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post
07-02-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 12:51 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(06-02-2014 08:44 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 08:26 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Beer. More beer! It makes one smarter and sexier...

I'm only a 17 year old american citizen i can't drink beer.

My superhuman ability allowed me to drink beer at about 13..... *ba dump psh*
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
My 2 cents:
  • Obviously posting in the right section and proper grammar is amazing.
  • Use BB code to "spice" up a post. Also, use pretty pictures to keep the reader's attention.
  • Walls of text are hit and miss. Try to organize your thoughts, present them as listed here, and use spoilers for extra/unneeded information, so you don't bombard people.
  • Preview your post and read it. If you find yourself bored or think it might bore someone - chances are it will.
  • A touch of humor is always nice (when appropriate).
  • Use examples, something people will relate to or find humorous, but at the same time gets your point across.
    ~I got a plus rep for this example, so I'm assuming it's good Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
]
(07-02-2014 12:48 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 08:44 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I'm only a 17 year old american citizen i can't drink beer.

My superhuman ability allowed me to drink beer at about 13..... *ba dump psh*

I got you a theme song Druid

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
(06-02-2014 08:44 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  ...
I'm only a 17 year old american citizen i can't drink beer.

So you are after an analysis of your posts? OK...

First, 'better' is a perceptive value of the beholder.
The first rule of presenting (and getting your thoughts across) is that you need to know and understand your audience.
One would think that the audience here is too diverse to fully accommodate all preferences and perceptions but in truth, your internet audience is a sad, spotty, male living in his mum's basement... write for him.

Second, a critique of the above post:
"I'm..." -- Too much reliance on first person comes across as opinionated. But on the other extreme, overuse of third person e.g. Girly is Girly's personal Jesus, is just fucking weird!

"I'm only..." -- Self-deprecation usually comes across as endearing. But again, overuse can be eye-rolling as in "get a backbone!".

"... a 17 year old ..." -- Allowances are often made for youth particularly if it comes with humility and deference to your superiors / elders. This thread is a good tactic, therefore.

"... american citizen ..." -- Obviously this loses you a few points. Best not to mention this again.

"... i ..." Despite your youth, and allowances made thereof, there is simply no excuse for laziness. How hard would it have been to write "so I"?

"... can't drink beer." -- Can not, may not, will not, shall not or should not? This is a worthy debate topic.

(06-02-2014 08:36 PM)sporehux Wrote:  ...
ignore the like+ count, its mostly long-time members buffing each other out of habit.

Ignore sporehux.

The like+ count is an indicator of whether a person is a debater (usually low count) or a community-ist (usually high count).
Likes can be given as an appreciation of effort (i.e. I don't agree with what you said but I like how you said it) or of content or just to encourage newbies or simple as an acknowledgement that one has read someone's post.

Having a Likes Given to Likes Received ratio of around 1:3 is an indicator that you are a deranged Western Australian.

Yes

07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
[quote='Im_Ryan' pid='488235' dateline='1391801774']
My 2 cents:
  • Obviously posting in the right section and proper grammar is amazing.
  • Use BB code to "spice" up a post. Also, use pretty pictures to keep the reader's attention.
  • Walls of text are hit and miss. Try to organize your thoughts, present them as listed here, and use spoilers for extra/unneeded information, so you don't bombard people.
  • Preview your post and read it. If you find yourself bored or think it might bore someone - chances are it will.
  • A touch of humor is always nice (when appropriate).
  • Use examples, something people will relate to or find humorous, but at the same time gets your point across.
    ~I got a plus rep for this example, so I'm assuming it's good Tongue
[/quote]

[quote='DLJ' pid='488264' dateline='1391803455']

So you are after an analysis of your posts? OK...

First, 'better' is a perceptive value of the beholder.
The first rule of presenting (and getting your thoughts across) is that you need to know and understand your audience.
One would think that the audience here is too diverse to fully accommodate all preferences and perceptions but in truth, your internet audience is a sad, spotty, male living in his mum's basement... write for him.

Second, a critique of the above post:
"I'm..." -- Too much reliance on first person comes across as opinionated. But on the other extreme, overuse of third person e.g. Girly is Girly's personal Jesus, is just fucking weird!

"I'm only..." -- Self-deprecation usually comes across as endearing. But again, overuse can be eye-rolling as in "get a backbone!".

"... a 17 year old ..." -- Allowances are often made for youth particularly if it comes with humility and deference to your superiors / elders. This thread is a good tactic, therefore.

"... american citizen ..." -- Obviously this loses you a few points. Best not to mention this again.

"... i ..." Despite your youth, and allowances made thereof, there is simply no excuse for laziness. How hard would it have been to write "so I"?

"... can't drink beer." -- Can not, may not, will not, shall not or should not? This is a worthy debate topic.

I'd like to thank you two for the advice. I will try my best to use each of these tactics. The hardest one is going into less complicated terms, I am so used to naming thing scientifically I am starting to lose my ability to speak in layman terms (only in zoology and genetics), But I have worked hard for good things before. So again arigatou gozaimasuTongue(means thank you in japanese)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
07-02-2014, 02:54 PM
(07-02-2014 02:42 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The hardest one is going into less complicated terms, I am so used to naming thing scientifically I am starting to lose my ability to speak in layman terms (only in zoology and genetics), But I have worked hard for good things before. So again arigatou gozaimasuTongue(means thank you in japanese)

Noooooooooooooo ! Scientific name *is* less complicated. Maybe include it too in brackets...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Anytime Thumbsup

Though, remember what I said about previewing? Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
(07-02-2014 01:38 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  ]
(07-02-2014 12:48 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  My superhuman ability allowed me to drink beer at about 13..... *ba dump psh*

I got you a theme song Druid
This is my new favourite song!
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post