How can I resist the urge to be a dick?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 07:20 PM
(12-01-2017 07:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would ask myself why I was getting satisfaction from being a dick, what need was it fulfilling in me. Maybe it's less about the urge to be a dick and more about something else going on with you. Maybe examine that, deal with that, and your desire to be a dick will go away.

I swear I have no idea why I am a dick. I have been this way all my life. I used to get really mad at people when they pointed out that I'm a dick. I don't get mad about anymore because I have realized that they are right.

I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 07:21 PM
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's just a matter of shifting intent. If you do it for self-gratification and satisfaction then you're just being a dick, if you do the exact same thing for entertainment value then you're just fooling around. Don't resist the urge, embrace your inner dickness and channel it for your amusement instead. Thumbsup

I might be biased though what with being an unrepentant incorrigible dick and all.

You are a master at being a dick and getting rep'd for it. You have a honed skill set.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
12-01-2017, 07:24 PM
(12-01-2017 07:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Excellent advise but what do I do in real life?

stick a pin in your pants pocket and poke yourself hard whenever the urge comes.

Admittedly in the beginning you'll be poking yourself after you're a dick...

but soon you'll pause and be able to do it before.

iIt could solve your problem or make you a masochist.

Damned that doesn't sound good. I was thinking of some encouraging words from you.
12-01-2017, 07:25 PM
RE: How can I resist the urge to be a dick?
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would ask myself why I was getting satisfaction from being a dick, what need was it fulfilling in me. Maybe it's less about the urge to be a dick and more about something else going on with you. Maybe examine that, deal with that, and your desire to be a dick will go away.

I swear I have no idea why I am a dick. I have been this way all my life. I used to get really mad at people when they pointed out that I'm a dick. I don't get mad about anymore because I have realized that they are right.

I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.

You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is) but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.

It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2017, 07:28 PM
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

Maybe it's a self-esteem issue. I dunno, I don't know you well enough. I'm just going by past experiences of dealing with people who are internally unhappy and as such, enjoy making others miserable. I would think it's somewhat of a release valve to try to bring other people who may appear happier down to your level.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
(12-01-2017 07:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's just a matter of shifting intent. If you do it for self-gratification and satisfaction then you're just being a dick, if you do the exact same thing for entertainment value then you're just fooling around. Don't resist the urge, embrace your inner dickness and channel it for your amusement instead. Thumbsup

I might be biased though what with being an unrepentant incorrigible dick and all.

You are a master at being a dick and getting rep'd for it. You have a honed skill set.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-01-2017, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 07:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

I find it least distressing to consider that well in advance.

(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.

First and foremost, do they deserve it because they're being a dick? Those yield the most personal amusement. And second, the goal is not to anger, the goal is always to have yourself a good hearty laugh at their expense.

#sigh
12-01-2017, 07:44 PM
(12-01-2017 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is)
I don't have anger issues. I get angry if someone does something really bad but it's no more than other people.

Quote:but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.
It is an impulse

Quote:It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?
I do have low empathy. I had a personality profile done for a job and it pointed that out.
12-01-2017, 07:47 PM
(12-01-2017 07:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Maybe it's a self-esteem issue. I dunno, I don't know you well enough. I'm just going by past experiences of dealing with people who are internally unhappy and as such, enjoy making others miserable. I would think it's somewhat of a release valve to try to bring other people who may appear happier down to your level.
You may be onto something. It does feel like a release valve.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
12-01-2017, 07:52 PM
(12-01-2017 07:44 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is)
I don't have anger issues. I get angry if someone does something really bad but it's no more than other people.

Quote:but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.
It is an impulse

Quote:It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?
I do have low empathy. I had a personality profile done for a job and it pointed that out.

I think you just don't have enough fun. You know, kinda like Chas.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post