How can I resist the urge to be a dick?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 07:20 PM
(12-01-2017 07:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would ask myself why I was getting satisfaction from being a dick, what need was it fulfilling in me. Maybe it's less about the urge to be a dick and more about something else going on with you. Maybe examine that, deal with that, and your desire to be a dick will go away.

I swear I have no idea why I am a dick. I have been this way all my life. I used to get really mad at people when they pointed out that I'm a dick. I don't get mad about anymore because I have realized that they are right.

I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 07:21 PM
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's just a matter of shifting intent. If you do it for self-gratification and satisfaction then you're just being a dick, if you do the exact same thing for entertainment value then you're just fooling around. Don't resist the urge, embrace your inner dickness and channel it for your amusement instead. Thumbsup

I might be biased though what with being an unrepentant incorrigible dick and all.

You are a master at being a dick and getting rep'd for it. You have a honed skill set.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
12-01-2017, 07:24 PM
(12-01-2017 07:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Excellent advise but what do I do in real life?

stick a pin in your pants pocket and poke yourself hard whenever the urge comes.

Admittedly in the beginning you'll be poking yourself after you're a dick...

but soon you'll pause and be able to do it before.

iIt could solve your problem or make you a masochist.

Damned that doesn't sound good. I was thinking of some encouraging words from you.
12-01-2017, 07:25 PM
RE: How can I resist the urge to be a dick?
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would ask myself why I was getting satisfaction from being a dick, what need was it fulfilling in me. Maybe it's less about the urge to be a dick and more about something else going on with you. Maybe examine that, deal with that, and your desire to be a dick will go away.

I swear I have no idea why I am a dick. I have been this way all my life. I used to get really mad at people when they pointed out that I'm a dick. I don't get mad about anymore because I have realized that they are right.

I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.

You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is) but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.

It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2017, 07:28 PM
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

Maybe it's a self-esteem issue. I dunno, I don't know you well enough. I'm just going by past experiences of dealing with people who are internally unhappy and as such, enjoy making others miserable. I would think it's somewhat of a release valve to try to bring other people who may appear happier down to your level.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
(12-01-2017 07:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's just a matter of shifting intent. If you do it for self-gratification and satisfaction then you're just being a dick, if you do the exact same thing for entertainment value then you're just fooling around. Don't resist the urge, embrace your inner dickness and channel it for your amusement instead. Thumbsup

I might be biased though what with being an unrepentant incorrigible dick and all.

You are a master at being a dick and getting rep'd for it. You have a honed skill set.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-01-2017, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 07:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I do have a little bit of good in me. It's not much but it's there. For example, if I am a dick to someone and they cry, I feel bad about it.

I find it least distressing to consider that well in advance.

(12-01-2017 07:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  But, if it just makes them angry, I get energized by it. It's addicting to be a dick.

First and foremost, do they deserve it because they're being a dick? Those yield the most personal amusement. And second, the goal is not to anger, the goal is always to have yourself a good hearty laugh at their expense.

#sigh
12-01-2017, 07:44 PM
(12-01-2017 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is)
I don't have anger issues. I get angry if someone does something really bad but it's no more than other people.

Quote:but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.
It is an impulse

Quote:It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?
I do have low empathy. I had a personality profile done for a job and it pointed that out.
12-01-2017, 07:47 PM
(12-01-2017 07:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Maybe it's a self-esteem issue. I dunno, I don't know you well enough. I'm just going by past experiences of dealing with people who are internally unhappy and as such, enjoy making others miserable. I would think it's somewhat of a release valve to try to bring other people who may appear happier down to your level.
You may be onto something. It does feel like a release valve.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
12-01-2017, 07:52 PM
(12-01-2017 07:44 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You might want to look into anger management. I know anger isn't your issue (or maybe it is)
I don't have anger issues. I get angry if someone does something really bad but it's no more than other people.

Quote:but it's more than that. It can help with impulse control -- which can help you not be a dick.
It is an impulse

Quote:It's also about empathy and considering how the other person feels when you are being a dick to them?
I do have low empathy. I had a personality profile done for a job and it pointed that out.

I think you just don't have enough fun. You know, kinda like Chas.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post