How can an infinite being place himself in a finite space?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
RE: How can an infinite being place himself in a finite space?
(04-11-2012 03:58 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 09:09 PM)Beren Wrote:  If the universe is a simulation on God's computer, he could just stop the simulation, then copy and paste Jesus from when he was still alive.
You do realize copying unlimited anything in a computer would fill up it's memory and hard drive, causing it to freeze up.
I forgot to mention that it's a magic computer. That should've been obvious, because it was already holding the first copy without hanging.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Beren's post
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
(04-11-2012 09:30 PM)Beren Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:58 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  You do realize copying unlimited anything in a computer would fill up it's memory and hard drive, causing it to freeze up.
I forgot to mention that it's a magic computer. That should've been obvious, because it was already holding the first copy without hanging.

Fucking magic, how does that work?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
(04-11-2012 09:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 09:30 PM)Beren Wrote:  I forgot to mention that it's a magic computer. That should've been obvious, because it was already holding the first copy without hanging.

Fucking magic, how does that work?
In mysterious ways, of course.
07-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Carefully. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
08-11-2012, 05:41 PM
(29-10-2012 03:08 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Just one of the arguments I have come across in the atheist community that seems really interesting. It argues that if A God Is infinite it can't, by definition, fit himself, or even a part of himself into a finite space.

Most people conceive God as an infinite being that has no beginning and end. If a being such as this exits, then it shouldn't be able to interact in the universe because the universe is a finite, granted its expanding, area. Now, not all believe God is infinite, so this argument does not apply, but for the sake of this post, lets say that a particular theist believes in an infinite God, and miracles.

In order for God to interact within the universe, he must enter into the universe to interact with it . We have never observed anything interacting with anything that has not been part of the universe. For miracles to have occurred, God had interact with matter inside the universe so he had to come into the universe to do so.

This brings up the question, How can an infinite being occupy a finite space? The easiest answer is that since God is all-powerful, there is no trouble doing it, but that means that God can do impossible, self contradictory things which leads to the answer on why God can't lift the rock...etc.

I can't really describe it all that well, but I hope you get what I am trying to say. It is possible that the universe could exist forever. The universe might have began at the big bang, or their might have been multiple big bangs. If the big bang was the beginning, then the universe could still go on to positive infinity.

For all of those that want to point to set theory, it's one and two are not set points, they can be expanded as long as the numbers you are adding in can fit between such distances.
You can travel in a circle that is within a finite space for infinity. Infinite distance and infinite time.

Also, isn't the concept that goes is infinite only considering time?
08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
(29-10-2012 03:08 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Just one of the arguments I have come across in the atheist community that seems really interesting. It argues that if A God Is infinite it can't, by definition, fit himself, or even a part of himself into a finite space.

Most people conceive God as an infinite being that has no beginning and end. If a being such as this exits, then it shouldn't be able to interact in the universe because the universe is a finite, granted its expanding, area. Now, not all believe God is infinite, so this argument does not apply, but for the sake of this post, lets say that a particular theist believes in an infinite God, and miracles.

In order for God to interact within the universe, he must enter into the universe to interact with it . We have never observed anything interacting with anything that has not been part of the universe. For miracles to have occurred, God had interact with matter inside the universe so he had to come into the universe to do so.

This brings up the question, How can an infinite being occupy a finite space? The easiest answer is that since God is all-powerful, there is no trouble doing it, but that means that God can do impossible, self contradictory things which leads to the answer on why God can't lift the rock...etc.

I can't really describe it all that well, but I hope you get what I am trying to say.

For all of those that want to point to set theory, it's one and two are not set points, they can be expanded as long as the numbers you are adding in can fit between such distances.
No that I am defending God by any means but ...

Has finite space been proven factual?

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
08-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey, Free.

My interpretation is that the going rate is yes. Multiverse theory, which seems to be gaining a lot of traction, suggests there are many universes and that they look like soap bubbles, with new universes budding off of them all the time. I gotta tell you, that idea fucks my mind because it basically means that space-time itself is an object. That which lies between the universes (assuming that "between" even applies seeing as how it's not space-time) is so incomprehensibly unfathomable to me that it melts the portion of my brain that controls intelligence and all I can do is dip bread in the cheeze fondue that oozes out of my ear.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
(08-11-2012 07:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Free.

My interpretation is that the going rate is yes. Multiverse theory, which seems to be gaining a lot of traction, suggests there are many universes and that they look like soap bubbles, with new universes budding off of them all the time. I gotta tell you, that idea fucks my mind because it basically means that space-time itself is an object. That which lies between the universes (assuming that "between" even applies seeing as how it's not space-time) is so incomprehensibly unfathomable to me that it melts the portion of my brain that controls intelligence and all I can do is dip bread in the cheeze fondue that oozes out of my ear.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I understand. When I am in that same situation as you, I pig out on chocolate by sucking it into my nose through a straw.

I need somebody to explain to me why infinite space is not the most plausible truth. I mean, since we can't see the end of it, then why do we think it has an end?

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lets end the space program....because Bible Shadow Fox 23 485 29-07-2014 09:25 PM
Last Post: Airportkid
  Why Creationism Has No Place In Science Class WindyCityJazz 16 335 11-03-2014 09:07 AM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  I've just realized why I came here in the first place undergroundp 28 680 25-02-2014 06:52 AM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  "Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of JokerFace 28 775 29-01-2014 01:24 AM
Last Post: natachan
  God left this place a long time ago Buddy Christ 7 1,160 30-03-2013 07:50 PM
Last Post: Full Circle
  The theist wagering thread .. place your bets Bucky Ball 33 1,119 02-03-2013 05:50 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Infinite Regress Ghost 31 936 06-02-2013 03:00 PM
Last Post: fstratzero