How can anyone take religion seriously?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
RE: How can anyone take religion seriously?
(12-02-2013 02:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Essentially I feel that all religions may contain smidgens of inexplicable truths much of which have been debased by theologians in their egocentricity.This is simply an intuitive feeling and one that I feel may transcend accrued scientific method. Just my opinion...................
As a scientist, Mr.Woof, I can't deny the possibility. Religions came from somewhere and for some reasons. I don't know, I wasn't there at the time.

All I can go by is my experience since I was born, and the logic I usually employ when I am trying to interpret my experience.

As I have said many times before: yes, there may be a god, there may be many gods, we might be the creations of an advanced alien species, the possibilities are wide open.

However, I apply probabilities to these speculations, based on my experience and I do find it most likely that we are the product of physical processes.

Life may exist on other planets, may exist on countless number of planets in this gigantic universe we know very little about.

However, existing, organized religions, as they are documented (see list in the OP) seem downright silly to me.

Can I disprove any of them?

Of course not.

But, I still have to go by my observations and my logic -- unless I decide to relinquish my autonomy as a thinking, honest, open minded human being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
RE: How can anyone take religion seriously?
(12-02-2013 02:38 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 02:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Essentially I feel that all religions may contain smidgens of inexplicable truths much of which have been debased by theologians in their egocentricity.This is simply an intuitive feeling and one that I feel may transcend accrued scientific method. Just my opinion...................
As a scientist, Mr.Woof, I can't deny the possibility. Religions came from somewhere and for some reasons. I don't know, I wasn't there at the time.

All I can go by is my experience since I was born, and the logic I usually employ when I am trying to interpret my experience.

As I have said many times before: yes, there may be a god, there may be many gods, we might be the creations of an advanced alien species, the possibilities are wide open.

However, I apply probabilities to these speculations, based on my experience and I do find it most likely that we are the product of physical processes.

Life may exist on other planets, may exist on countless number of planets in this gigantic universe we know very little about.

However, existing, organized religions, as they are documented (see list in the OP) seem downright silly to me.

Can I disprove any of them?

Of course not.

But, I still have to go by my observations and my logic -- unless I decide to relinquish my autonomy as a thinking, honest, open minded human being.
As for hunches, intuitions,emotion etc I have rather questioned a lot of things that 'don't quite meet the eye'.
Generally speaking I will later fob such off, as coincidence, over reaction or whatever????

Many things are possible and I am simply muddling through doing a pretty bad job of trying to be a reasonably reasonable person.

Adjourning for breakfast.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply