How can get over being angry by what my parents think?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 12:05 PM
I get upset when my dad or step mom talks about god taking care of you and that he can calm emotions. I think they are crazy for believing this stuff. I keep reminding myself it's all a delusion and try my best not to get caught up in it. I got over the active part of the religion but not the emotional part. By active I mean being active in the church. Like being on a worship team, helping with church activities etc. How can I just let my parents believe what they want and believe what I want? I don't believe in what they say is true and I always tell myself that what they say doesn't apply to me because I no longer believe. I think I'm in the anger stage of leaving this religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: How can get over being angry by what my parents think?
Just ignore them. That's what I do. When my mom says pray for this person, I just ignore that and ask what I can do to help out--does that person need help walking dogs/doing errands/going to appts., etc.? If your parents want to engage in magical thinking and delusion--that is how they want to live their life. It's much easier to just live your life enjoying your new found atheism than to worry about others who insist on living a delusion.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Exactly as Jenny says. When your mom starts blathering on about god or some such shit say "that's nice, mom" and change the subject to something important like the weather.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-12-2015, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 12:26 PM by Brian37.)
(08-12-2015 12:05 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I get upset when my dad or step mom talks about god taking care of you and that he can calm emotions. I think they are crazy for believing this stuff. I keep reminding myself it's all a delusion and try my best not to get caught up in it. I got over the active part of the religion but not the emotional part. By active I mean being active in the church. Like being on a worship team, helping with church activities etc. How can I just let my parents believe what they want and believe what I want? I don't believe in what they say is true and I always tell myself that what they say doesn't apply to me because I no longer believe. I think I'm in the anger stage of leaving this religion.

I have only cut one family member out of my life, and it wasn't just because they believed. It was because they sucked the life out of me on every topic. The final straw is that he got involved with a family matter with an aunt and uncle about taking care of my cat, and didn't want them doing it and physically threatened me over something he wasn't involved in. He just was too much doomsday for me.

My other family members we simply don't talk about it. My adoptive mom is Catholic but she doesn't attend church and she is a social liberal, and she is my biggest supporter even about listening to my online debates.

You don't have to make it a big deal. You don't have to be a doormat either. If they bring it up, and you are uncomfortable, simply tell them you love them and are the same person but maybe discussing it isn't the best thing to do.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
08-12-2015, 12:28 PM
How can I prevent myself from not slipping back into that delusional religion? Thank you for all your help. I will try the advice.
08-12-2015, 12:29 PM
(08-12-2015 12:28 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  How can I prevent myself from not slipping back into that delusional religion? Thank you for all your help. I will try the advice.

By educating yourself by reading scholarly books like the Ehrman one I mentioned. Watching atheist/christian debates.
08-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Also--have you read the entire Bible? Or just the pieces they give you in church? If you read the entire Bible, you will be able to see that it is nothing more than a fairy tale.
08-12-2015, 12:33 PM
It's hard for me to read the whole bible because I have no interest in it. But I do know that bible God did a ton of killing and it's hard to worship someone who killed innocent people over something stupid.
08-12-2015, 12:34 PM
What parts of the bible you recommend? Maybe I could start from there.
08-12-2015, 12:47 PM
(08-12-2015 12:34 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  What parts of the bible you recommend? Maybe I could start from there.

I recommend reading the whole thing. Tongue

I would start with Genesis.