How can military Chaplains live with themselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
RE: How can military Chaplains live with themselves?
Come on, man. Calm down.

You suggested that I don't have experience with chaplains. Well, I was in the army. So yeah, I do. So if you're going to tell my what my life experience is, get it wrong, and then cry foul when you get called out on it, I don't got no sympathy for ya.

I asked a simple question. Instead of answering it, you tried to devalue both the question and me. So don't call me an asshole and play the martyr when you're the one who was in the wrong.

Your example WAS anecdotal. That wasn't an opinion of mine, it was a statement of fact. Furthermore, I didn't ask if people had a hard time getting information from priests, I asked if anyone knew how chaplains saw this dilemma.

So tell you what. If no one is interested in talking about how the actual chaplains view the issue, so be it. I'll bow out of the conversation. If someone is willing to bring some knowledge, fantastic. We'll all learn something and have something factual to discuss.

People who question my good will don't deserve it,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Wank wank wank. Sometimes you have interesting things to say and sometimes all I read is wank wank wank. Anyways I'm done with talking to you for the moment.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Sure. Sorry to disturb your slumber, your majesty.
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

(04-11-2011 12:38 PM)Ghost Wrote:  You suggested that I don't have experience with chaplains. Well, I was in the army. So yeah, I do.

So, how would your chaplain acquaintances would have answered my question?

Can you guess, Ghost?

I am curious.
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Wank wank wank.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
05-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey, Zatamon.

No I can't guess. Nor do I want to guess. I want to know. That's why I asked if anyone knew for fact.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
05-11-2011, 02:55 AM
(04-11-2011 11:13 AM)Ghost Wrote:  If that's your experience, fine. But that's anecdotal, not factual. I know many ministers and priests and I don't know a single one that would duck a question about anything.

From my experience, I know more about YHWH than they do. Sure it's a fucking anecdote. If you know the Pope, and you want me to set him straight so we can take over the Vatican, we can do that too.

What I don't understand is the attitude. Every judgement call is a moral one, and if I'm taking sides here, I'm with the evil clown.

As an atheist, I love everybody; but if intolerance of ignorance is a not prerequisite, then we ain't atheists. I know the questions to ask to produce a duck - I also know the meaning of love - and ya don't make somebody deny their identity.

As for you, Zat... tormenting monkeys is ethical. I'm moral; I'm not saying I agree with this assessment, I'm saying they made a value call based on their morality - or they are asking themselves the same question.

It ain't moral to kill my cockroaches - so I only do it when they are making assholes of themselves - as it seems it is ethical to kill cockroaches. Am I wrong?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
05-11-2011, 06:44 AM

(05-11-2011 02:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  As for you, Zat... tormenting monkeys is ethical. I'm moral; I'm not saying I agree with this assessment, I'm saying they made a value call based on their morality - or they are asking themselves the same question.

I don't care about 'ethical'.

Death camps were ethical for some monsters.

You can call anything ethical if you so choose.

I have a VERY simple rule I follow (can't help it -- I am a simpleton):

Pleasure is GOOD, pain is BAD.

It is for me and it is for every living creature.

Period.

I judge people based on how close they come to this basic principle.

I have a right to use my own yard-stick and this is it. Smile
06-11-2011, 06:25 PM
(05-11-2011 06:44 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(05-11-2011 02:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  As for you, Zat... tormenting monkeys is ethical. I'm moral; I'm not saying I agree with this assessment, I'm saying they made a value call based on their morality - or they are asking themselves the same question.

I don't care about 'ethical'.

Death camps were ethical for some monsters.

You can call anything ethical if you so choose.

I have a VERY simple rule I follow (can't help it -- I am a simpleton):

Pleasure is GOOD, pain is BAD.

It is for me and it is for every living creature.

Period.

I judge people based on how close they come to this basic principle.

I have a right to use my own yard-stick and this is it. Smile

Which is your ethical standard based on your morality. How can this deviant respond?

Pain? Like today at the grocery store? Two times I was waiting for someone to decide what they wanted to do. Two times there was apology and brief conversation - I was obviously in pain (I'm old, that shit happens) but it was just as obvious that I am a patient, full of love kinda creature.

You might not agree, but I call that "documented evidence that perception of pain is in error." No big.

Them fucks at Nuremberg prove that ethical standard based upon individual morality can be in error. I have researched this topic - what would I have done? Kreigsmarine, as a submariner. I would not have "shot Hitler" as I assume from baseline - that I would have been the same kinda nobody back then that I am now.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-11-2011, 06:59 PM

(06-11-2011 06:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You might not agree, but I call that "documented evidence that perception of pain is in error".

Cantor, I venture to say that most people, most of the time, are actually in pain (physical and/or emotional) when they think they are, and not just imagining it.

There are the exceptions, of course, but we are talking about the big picture here, baseline, average, whatever you want to call it.

The sick person who can not afford a doctor; a mother who can not feed her children; the protestor who was beaten to a pulp by the police; the very bright boy who can not afford to go to school; the homeless person on a winter sidewalk; the father whose sons were taken away to war; the young woman innocently imprisoned and then raped by the guards; the cormorant drowning in an oil spill.

...and I have not even gone to the third world (all in the US so far) for examples.

I could go on for hours but I am sure you know what I mean. Smile