How can military Chaplains live with themselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2011, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 08:07 PM by houseofcantor.)
RE: How can military Chaplains live with themselves?
(06-11-2011 06:59 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(06-11-2011 06:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You might not agree, but I call that "documented evidence that perception of pain is in error".

Cantor, I venture to say that most people, most of the time, are actually in pain (physical and/or emotional) when they think they are, and not just imagining it.

And thinking about my Gwynnies beats the pain of dying that intravenous morphine couldn't quite reach. I'm not ignorant in these areas, I'm deviant. Big Grin

I cannot - as a function of integrity - lie to you and say "I prefer pleasure to pain." I can tell you the truth with a form of the order of operations:

Suicide is immoral. Life gets to point where I can't deal, I'll commit suicide. Zero-state -1 negative.

I have an understanding of evil. I have been certified by my society as unspecified psychopath. There is no contradiction in this.

Of course I know what your saying. Your agenda of honour is +1 positive. Wink
(06-11-2011 06:59 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  The sick person who can not afford a doctor; a mother who can not feed her children; the protestor who was beaten to a pulp by the police; the very bright boy who can not afford to go to school; the homeless person on a winter sidewalk;the cormorant drowning in an oil spill

I've been to these places. The last is a function of love. As far as I know, science tells us animals don't suffer. It is love that we suffer for the animals - and I got that outta scripture. Wink

I simply absolutely disagree with "life without pain," It is function of our bodies to communicate distress through pain. Ethics is not the solution to pain...

Faith is.

(You keep barking like a big dog... get me barking back. Big Grin Didn't really wanna "go there" on an atheist forum Big Grin)

Nah, I ain't pimping no gospel. I have a different understanding of a few words. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2011, 05:41 AM

(06-11-2011 07:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I simply absolutely disagree with "life without pain,"

I don't know about you, Cantor, but I intend to minimize pain in my own life and in the life of any other living creature I can help.

I know, I am weird that way! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
07-11-2011, 06:09 AM
(07-11-2011 05:41 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(06-11-2011 07:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I simply absolutely disagree with "life without pain,"

I don't know about you, Cantor, but I intend to minimize pain in my own life and in the life of any other living creature I can help.

I know, I am weird that way! Big Grin
You're not weird. I'm weird. Minimizing the pain in other living creatures gets iffy with the quickness. I'm not in evolutionary biology, so I never hadda worry too much about monkeys...

Dogs? Fuck no. Dogs are people too. Cats? Sometimes. Fish? Depends how hungry I am...

Where does one draw the line? Guy on another thread mentioned spiders... I don't think I intentionally killed any of them fuckers. Chase the widders out of the house; same thing with scorpions. Scorpion stings me, it might hafta die... never had that happen. They seem pretty sensible about this "top of the food-chain" thing I got going on. Cockroaches ain't got no sense. Mine get in my food, they get kilt; I'm figuring I'm "selecting against stupidity" for the roach...

I don't think cockroaches are big on pain. I suffer for them because of my morality, and I love; so I hate to kill anything. I also cannot help but think "choosing to kill" is a moral decision. Like I said, it gets iffy. Interacting with sensible types like you is how I learn to present myself with more science and less if.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Speaking of Chaplains.

Last week, a high ranking, full bird Chaplain was coming through. We were told that he was coming to "speak with the troops." Not that I wanted to talk to him anyways, but we awaited his arrival. When he came, he engaged our full bird Colonel in small talk for 5 minutes and left. WAY TO GO THERE Mr. Chaplain!
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 03:12 PM

(09-11-2011 12:06 PM)danalog Wrote:  Speaking of Chaplains.

Last week, a high ranking, full bird Chaplain was coming through. We were told that he was coming to "speak with the troops." Not that I wanted to talk to him anyways, but we awaited his arrival. When he came, he engaged our full bird Colonel in small talk for 5 minutes and left. WAY TO GO THERE Mr. Chaplain!

So you never had the chance to ask him how god would approve of all that killing that happens in wars?

What do you think he would have said, if asked?

Just curious...
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
(09-11-2011 03:12 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 12:06 PM)danalog Wrote:  Speaking of Chaplains.

So you never had the chance to ask him how god would approve of all that killing that happens in wars?

What do you think he would have said, if asked?

Just curious...

If he even gave us the time of day instead of schmoozing our Colonel, he'd most likely shake hands and put in a plug about the services that chaplains offer. Proselytizing is not authorized in the workcenter and that includes chaplains. Having said that, it would have been very tasteless and unprofessional to ask him such a question in front of others.

Having a closed door conversation with him is a different story. I haven't interacted with Chaplains much (kinda comes with being an atheist). But based off what I've seen, Christian chaplains are just as diverse as the various Christian denominations themselves. In addition, some have personal career agendas while others truly care about the troops.

Can't really predict what they'd say if asked that question. You're guess is as good as mine. But I'm sure it wouldn't be "God disapproves. You must conscientiously object and leave the service, or else risk going to hell."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes danalog's post