How can people be so different?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 07:53 AM
RE: How can people be so different?
I got some very interesting and insightful answers but one question I asked was only cursorily touched on (by a very few posters) and it is the question of how people's attitude could be changed if critical thinking was taught in the education system.

On second thought, this question is so important, that I decided to ask it again in a separate thread of its own.

Please take a look.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 09:00 AM
(06-02-2013 04:31 PM)Zat Wrote:  In the evolutionary sense we have the same computer hardware in our heads. The programming however is vastly different.

Wrong. The hardware is not the same at all. That would mean that the brain doesn't evolve, and that there are no spontaneous deviations either.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-02-2013, 09:18 AM
(06-02-2013 10:17 PM)Zat Wrote:  What I am asking is the following:

- Why don't many of us see the gaping holes and contradictions in our own opinions?
- Why don't many of us ask those critical-thinking-questions I listed earlier?
- Why don't we seek to understand each others' opinions and try to reach a consensus, instead of blind opposition as it often happens?

Well, I guess some people are too stupid or arrogant to recognize the truth? Confused

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
(07-02-2013 09:18 AM)Chaos Wrote:  Well, I guess some people are too stupid or arrogant to recognize the truth? Confused
And still others - too intelligent and arrogant to do it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey, Zat.

Critical thinking helps us see the contradictions in our ideologies and constantly return to the discourse that creates ideological knowledge. What we can never escape is ideology itself.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
They say that a baby can pick up the feelings of its mother whilst developing in the womb, maybe thats a factor in development. When you leave your mother and are born into the world you react to your environment. So many different things can shape you differently on this planet (socially, morally, politically, religiously) dependent on where you are born.

I think there comes a point and I think maybe this is what Zat could possibly be hinting at as well where you take all these things collectively, that you begin to recognise/acknowledge what shapes you and try to push beyond the same thoughts patterns and in some way think for yourself.

You question the question Consider

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 09:50 AM by Peterkin.)
(07-02-2013 09:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  The hardware is not the same at all. That would mean that the brain doesn't evolve, and that there are no spontaneous deviations either.
In fact, there has been no noticeable evolutionary change to the human brain for 300,000 years. That famed Neanderthal clone could grow up to be a backhoe operator, dentist or minister of finance. Individual deviations are most commonly pathological and non-heritable. All the functional hardware is remarkably similar at birth; a quite narrow intelligence scale is created by genetic variation, then expanded to its adulthood spread by prenatal health, air and water quality, nutrition, childhood illness, early socialization, stimulation, opportunity, culture and other environmental factors.

Quote: bemore: you begin to recognise/acknowledge what shapes you and try to push
beyond the same thoughts patterns and in some way think for yourself.
Ideally, yes. That's one reason people participate in forums. But i think a far more common reason is seeking a platform for what we already know, or believe, and wish to convince others, rather than being instructed or convinced.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
07-02-2013, 10:27 AM
(07-02-2013 09:46 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Individual deviations are most commonly pathological and non-heritable. All the functional hardware is remarkably similar at birth; a quite narrow intelligence scale is created by genetic variation
Still not the same hardware. However small the differences look to you, they make a huge difference, especially when coupled with chemical balances/imbalances which are also not "software".

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 10:48 AM by Zat.)
Jared Diamond, in his magnificent book: "The Third Chimpanzee" describes the last totally isolated civilization on the planet that still lived with stone-age technology. After the discovery, the adoption of modern technology and culture was extremely fast:

Quote:New Guinea material culture was until recently primitive (that is, stone age) for historical reasons, but New Guineans are fully modern humans. New Guineans whose fathers lived in the Stone Age now pilot aeroplanes, operate computers, and govern a modern state. If we could carry ourselves back 40,000 years in a time machine, I expect that we would find Cro-Magnons to be equally modern people, capable of learning to fly a jet plane.

For all practical purposes, it is the same hardware. However, you are right about chemical imbalances, but that makes a noticeable difference only in the minority of the cases (as far as I know).
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 11:04 AM by Chaos.)
(07-02-2013 10:35 AM)Zat Wrote:  Jared Diamond, in his magnificent book: "The Third Chimpanzee" describes the last totally isolated civilization on the planet that still lived with stone-age technology. After the discovery, the adoption of modern technology and culture was extremely fast:

Quote:New Guinea material culture was until recently primitive (that is, stone age) for historical reasons, but New Guineans are fully modern humans. New Guineans whose fathers lived in the Stone Age now pilot aeroplanes, operate computers, and govern a modern state. If we could carry ourselves back 40,000 years in a time machine, I expect that we would find Cro-Magnons to be equally modern people, capable of learning to fly a jet plane.

For all practical purposes, it is the same hardware.

Brain is a really complex organ, the difference doesn't consist only in its shape or size.
The potential for some tasks might be the same but the cognitive capacity for understanding complex concepts is obviously different from a person to another.
I don't think it is solely a matter of education and culture. Personality is given by the hardware mostly, the same goes for intelligence.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Being Afraid of People? BrokenQuill92 21 908 24-09-2013 07:22 AM
Last Post: MillyJak
  My opinion about people who change of religion viocjit 9 601 01-07-2013 02:21 AM
Last Post: Thanh
  Homeless people. earmuffs 57 2,226 11-05-2013 08:23 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  Nazi alert and other people's reactions Luminon 94 3,841 06-02-2013 11:22 AM
Last Post: Zat
  The treatment of Gay people HailMeNow 34 1,534 23-01-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: GodlessnFree
  Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots? namiloveyou 62 3,378 12-01-2013 12:19 PM
Last Post: Luminon
Star Do you judge people more by what they admire, or by what they despise? PoolBoyG 48 2,123 20-11-2012 01:03 PM
Last Post: Stark Raving