How can people be so different?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
RE: How can people be so different?
(07-02-2013 07:53 AM)Zat Wrote:  I got some very interesting and insightful answers but one question I asked was only cursorily touched on (by a very few posters) and it is the question of how people's attitude could be changed if critical thinking was taught in the education system.

On second thought, this question is so important, that I decided to ask it again in a separate thread of its own.

Please take a look.
Not everyone is capable of or interested in critical thinking. Our education system has a hard enough time cranking out people that can read and write, do you really think they can come up with a program to teach critical thinking?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-02-2013, 11:46 AM

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
07-02-2013, 12:10 PM
(07-02-2013 11:46 AM)Luminon Wrote:  If you don't believe me, try to argue with your wife.

PPPPFFFFTTTTT! Confused

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 12:19 PM by Zat.)
(07-02-2013 11:30 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Our education system has a hard enough time cranking out people that can read and write, do you really think they can come up with a program to teach critical thinking?
Critical thinking ability, techniques, awareness are FAR more important to the survival of our species (nearing extinction for lack of the same) than reading, writing, etc could ever be.

As I told Luminon before -- there is no use blaming only the system and the leaders.

Citizens allow them to exist and they consistently vote/act AGAINST their own survival interest because they can't critically evaluate the well known facts and the available options.
07-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Okay, so we...as humans are..in your estimation...fucked.
Got it.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Please, please tell us what the right answer is.

You ask for input but not really for input, you want us to guess what you think the right answer is.

Save us the trouble, tell us the answer oh wise and wonderful wizard of knowledge.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
No need for sarcasm. It will suffice if you post your opinion and I will post mine. Maybe, with an open mind, we can learn from each other. Smile
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Didn't realize I used the sarcasm font.

07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
There's a special font and nobody told me?

Anyway, memetic epidemic, eccentric wiring, education system that "cranks out" the barely literate fodder of industrial societies, or whatever - all humans could benefit from training in critical thought in their formative years and all societies would benefit from a reasoning citizenry. But that improvement to the populace would come out of the privilege of elites, who do, always have and will use all and every means to prevent any such outcome. So, yeah, of-bloody-course we're fucked.*

(Not all to the same degree. William Gibson compares the fuckedness quotient of Monday-morning pedestrians, and finds Vancouver markedly lower than New York.)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
(07-02-2013 12:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 11:46 AM)Luminon Wrote:  If you don't believe me, try to argue with your wife.
PPPPFFFFTTTTT! Confused
That was a fine example of idiosyncratic meme - educative purpose I say! Wink Look, this individual suffers a mild case of inappropriate humor and occasional failure of autocensorship. However, a thorough examination might reveal a dirty, filthy mind. The procedure of cleaning a dirty mind is performed by... well, the autocenshorship is back online, nevermind Tongue

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!