How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
RE: How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?
(01-04-2012 03:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Saying a god, (which one?) "created" the building blocks, (the Great Watchmaker winding up the universe... "Deus ex Machina"), is just as nonsensical as is the rest of creationism. Which, (EXACTLY), "building blocks" did you think she created, and when, and how is it they could not have arisen by natural forces ?

No one claims the Theory of Evolution is a "fact". Science is a method. The steps of that method do not include the word "fact". There are theories, and there is supporting evidence for them . When and if there is evidence for some other theory, science will look at it. There is no evidence for creationism.
Evolution is as close to a "fact" as one gets in science; like plate tectonics, or molecular theory.

Agree. There are MOUNTAINS of supporting evidence.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 03:49 PM by Hooded50.)
Evolution is not fact. Evolution is speculation. Considering all of the frauds it has perpetrated, it's even a bad fairy tale.
@ BuckyBall: There are MOUNTAINS of PROBLEMS with evolution, both biological and cosmological. You claim there is no evidence for creationism. For that statement alone, I'd like to see your "MOUNTAINS" of evidence?
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
(01-04-2012 03:44 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  Evolution is not fact. Evolution is speculation. Considering all of the frauds it has perpetrated, it's even a bad fairy tale.
@ BuckyBall: There are MOUNTAINS of PROBLEMS with evolution, both biological and cosmological. You claim there is no evidence for creationism. For that statement alone, I'd like to see your "MOUNTAINS" of evidence?
I suggest you learn about science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
(01-04-2012 03:44 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  Evolution is not fact. Evolution is speculation. Considering all of the frauds it has perpetrated, it's even a bad fairy tale.
@ BuckyBall: There are MOUNTAINS of PROBLEMS with evolution, both biological and cosmological.

Again, wrong.

There really isn't anything else to be said.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Change of name required there, I think...
Hooded50
To:
Blinkered50

02-04-2012, 07:59 AM
(01-04-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 02:09 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  Many Atheists ignore the fact that, of the Christians who believe evolution, they believe that God created the basic building blocks, and not that they came about as a result of non-direction. Many also claim that evolution is "fact", when such is not a proven statement.

Saying a god, (which one?) "created" the building blocks, (the Great Watchmaker winding up the universe... "Deus ex Machina"), is just as nonsensical as is the rest of creationism. Which, (EXACTLY), "building blocks" did you think she created, and when, and how is it they could not have arisen by natural forces ?

No one claims the Theory of Evolution is a "fact". Science is a method. The steps of that method do not include the word "fact". There are theories, and there is supporting evidence for them . When and if there is evidence for some other theory, science will look at it. There is no evidence for creationism.

You probably already know this but I still wanted to point it out. The Theory of Evolution may not be considered fact (close enough), but scientists are saying it is a fact that evolution took place. I say this not to refute you Bucky but for the creationist that can't seem to understand nor do they try to find out what a theory really is.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
They will keep moving the goal posts until there is nothing left to stand on.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-04-2012, 06:49 AM
One of the significant steps I took towards an atheist viewpoint was to read "Creation Or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?[1]". My father was moved by this book to take on open view as to how we came to be here while maintaining his theism. My mother was relatively unmoved by the content therein. My mother asked me at a family dinner the other week about thoughts I had previously expressed about the book while I was still a theist, which were that although it made a sound case for evolution it seemed to have failed to meet its objective in arguing why both should be accepted. In particular, it seemed to assume that the case for a christian god did not need to be made, and simply proposed a possible way that the two ideas could be married up without picking a definitive one. The author claimed to believe that two people had been "chosen" as a literal Adam and Eve and that the bible was essentially true from there on in, although seemed to indicate that more apocryphal explanations of Genesis could also be argued without rejecting theism.
My take was that there seemed to be no reason to believe in both evolution and theism based on the argument of the book, but instead it was only able to argue that the two could be crammed together to coexist and that plenty of people seem to have made that work for themselves - plenty of smart people, too.
After taking in information from a range of different sources over probably another year or two I lost the argument with myself that it was reasonable to still consider theism a topic worthy of my belief.

[1] http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ptov...edir_esc=y
26-04-2012, 01:26 AM
(25-02-2012 04:06 AM)electricnipples Wrote:  Evolution proved that it took millions of years for the universe/life to form with no person helping.
How can you believe that a god created everything in 7 days knowing that we know for a fact it took million of years for everything to be what it is now?

Evolution never proved any thing of the sort. Palentological, cosmological, and geological evidence verified the age of the planet and life on it over the epochs.

1) suppose God does not take the form of Yahweh
2) suppose Evolution by natural selection is an integral feature of life forms It created to allow them to adapt and survive on a planet in flux.
3) suppose that you do not take the Bible seriously or disregard conflicting information in it.

Then religion becomes workable.

Or

1) The bible is presumed inerrant and any scientific research that conflicts with it is disregarded as ignorance of the wisdom of God.

Either way works for believers.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
27-04-2012, 09:01 PM
You...you want to see evidence of no evidence...? Do you even read what you type before you post it?