How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 04:19 AM
RE: How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?
It's also a "fact" in young earth creationist circles:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread but as was stated earlier, it depends on one's theology. Many Christians don't hold Genesis 1 and 2 to be literal descriptions of what happened. I think the heart of the matter that the OP is aiming at is if Genesis 1&2 are metaphorical, what impact does that have on the rest of the Christian theology? Many Evangelicals (including those who accept evolution) hold the concept of original sin, which is based off of a literal interpretation of Adam and Eve existing in the Garden of Eden, granted Original Sin is not a ubiquitous concept throughout Christendom, most Christians that we deal with do believe in that concept. Also, Jesus believed in a six day creation so does being a Christian who accepts evolution in essence mean that you are calling Jesus a liar? Most Christians never think that deeply on the issue but rather accept evolution and live according to their personal theology and are completely fine with it.
[+] 1 user Likes Sovereign's post
27-06-2012, 08:21 AM
1) Evolution does not disprove god. In fact, evolution makes an LC-type creator god (machine intelligence) more likely.
2) Genesis as metaphor.
3) Evolution is simply not important to many believers. They have their "Jesus loves me and I'm special" core mentality, and just parrot the creationists, figuring if Pastor says evolution is evil, well, then, it must be evil.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 08:36 AM
(28-04-2012 04:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's also a "fact" in young earth creationist circles:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! No not the banana man, and his trusty sidekick Kirk.........Then of course there is Sye Ten', Kent Hovind (in jail) his son Eric Hovind.......its all about the $$$ for those guys!

[Image: Ray_Comfort_sketches_3_by_GuineaPigDan.png]
27-06-2012, 08:42 AM
(27-06-2012 08:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  1) Evolution does not disprove god. In fact, evolution makes an LC-type creator god (machine intelligence) more likely.
2) Genesis as metaphor.
3) Evolution is simply not important to many believers. They have their "Jesus loves me and I'm special" core mentality, and just parrot the creationists, figuring if Pastor says evolution is evil, well, then, it must be evil.

I love this - "They have their "Jesus loves me and I'm special" core mentality, and just parrot the creationists, figuring if Pastor says evolution is evil, well, then, it must be evil."

Very well stated.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-06-2012, 08:58 AM
This topic is what I see as the major flaw of liberal Christianity. It literally does not make any sense when you try to mend accepting the scientific findings of modern times with believe in God's divine intervention via biblical actions and Jesus.

I'm a bit surprised Christopher Hitchens hasn't been brought into the debate because he has a great point against this view:

Along with the point of that video, that any Christian accepting of evolution means God just sat twiddling his thumbs, MAYBE controlling evolution, until he finally decided it was time to directly intervene. If you accept evolution, there is ultimately no reason for Jesus to be sacrificed. If there is no Adam and Eve, therefore, no original sin, what is the point of Jesus dying for your sins. What did he save you from? All I can see is he saved humanity from the Jewish believe where you just die peacefully into a threat of eternal torture because of something the ultimate ancestors who didn't exist, did wrong. I fail to see what a personal relationship with a 2000 year old baby can do for humanity.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
27-06-2012, 12:21 PM
(01-04-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is no evidence for creationism.

Well, I think you would agree that there is significant scientific evidence to show the universe diriving from a singularity, also showing that the universe has not always existed or been even close to what it is now.
That itself is evidence, not proof, of intent which would seem to lead to evidence of creation. You can derive your own conclusion from that evidence and choose to scrap all other possible conclusions for what ever reason that suits you, or you can keep the mind open to other possible conclusions given emperical evidence.

But yes, there is evidence for creationism. You may have meant to say there is not proof for creationism.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
27-06-2012, 12:28 PM
(27-06-2012 12:21 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  But yes, there is evidence for creationism. You may have meant to say there is not proof for creationism.
What kind of evidence for Creationism is there?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
27-06-2012, 12:42 PM
(27-06-2012 12:21 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  

Well, I think you would agree that there is significant scientific evidence to show the universe diriving from a singularity, also showing that the universe has not always existed or been even close to what it is now.

That's entirely accurate.

It shows that our current universe hasn't always existed. We have no idea if there was a universe before ours.

This gives credence to the Big Crunch Theory.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
27-06-2012, 01:51 PM
(27-06-2012 12:21 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  

That itself is evidence, not proof, of intent which would seem to lead to evidence of creation. You can derive your own conclusion from that evidence and choose to scrap all other possible conclusions for what ever reason that suits you, or you can keep the mind open to other possible conclusions given emperical evidence.

But yes, there is evidence for creationism. You may have meant to say there is not proof for creationism.
No, most of us mean there is no credible evidence for creationism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Evidence Against (?) Evolution RedJamaX 8 522 12-07-2014 07:12 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  9 Unscientific Excuses to Ignore Evolution. Metazoa Zeke 13 838 16-06-2014 04:03 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Scientist only want evolution to be true for money? Metazoa Zeke 34 741 23-03-2014 03:32 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  How to talk about evolution to a creationist Metazoa Zeke 2 301 16-03-2014 02:46 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Creationism/Evolution Drich 130 2,728 21-02-2014 03:55 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  A creationsist's idea of a "blow to evolution" Raptor Jesus 21 1,069 15-01-2014 08:38 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Is it time for all religions to accept evolution? DLJ 11 405 24-12-2013 06:11 AM
Last Post: Vosur