How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2012, 04:06 AM
How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?
Evolution proved that it took millions of years for the universe/life to form with no person helping.
How can you believe that a god created everything in 7 days knowing that we know for a fact it took million of years for everything to be what it is now?

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."-Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2012, 04:56 AM
RE: How can people still be religious knowing Evolution is a fact?
Simple dude, it's called "god of the gaps". Evolution is accepted by the catholics and the anglican church so their gods have retreated to the gap of the start of the universe and Genesis has become metaphor. Their hole-y books have become frameworks (guidelines) rather than standards (rule books).

Alternatively (muslims, YECs etc.) there is denial / cognitive dissonance (baby dinosaurs on the ark) so .... god still dun it.
They know "in their hearts" that they are right because facts and "troof" is what they believe and not something that is evidence-based.... scientific troof is not the same as spiritual troof.
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-02-2012, 11:20 AM
They think God did it. Which boggles me as the Bible, the first foundation of everday Christianity today, mentions nothing of it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with DLJ, the god of the gaps argument holds a space for theists when looking at scientific facts or anything else that doesn't fit in with their theology.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Debating a pastor once and he asked me, "How can you not see God's presence in DNA?"

I guess if you can see God's presence in burnt toast you can see him in anything you want.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
27-02-2012, 09:56 AM
(25-02-2012 04:06 AM)electricnipples Wrote:  Evolution proved that it took millions of years for the universe/life to form with no person helping.
How can you believe that a god created everything in 7 days knowing that we know for a fact it took million of years for everything to be what it is now?

You speak as if you've definitively destroyed Christianity with evolution. I suggest you brush up on your theology and accepted Christian beliefs before you make generalized statements.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
27-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Some Christians deny evolution altogether. Or deny parts of it- the debate over micro and macro evolution. The young earth creationists, the literal Bible believers, etc. They deny evolution is fact; actually they even harp on the name, "Evolutionary Theory". "See, it's just a theory, it's not a fact!"

Others rely on the prime mover argument- the universe can only exist because something made it exist, and that something is God.

Some simply ignore it altogether, trusting that it has no bearing on the existence of God and Jesus.

Others are like KC above, believing that it's a metaphor.

I was taught that since Adam and Eve God's plan was to bring Jesus into the world to clear away sin. Adam and Eve's original sin lead to the result of the fallen world in which we live today. Without the creation story, original sin doesn't exist and so the "fallen world" doesn't exist. We are who we are "created" to be, not a fallen version of who we should have been. KC would agree with that last part too- but we hold a different view on what that ultimately means.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
27-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Simple. They reject evolutionary biology. To them it's not fact.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
27-02-2012, 04:04 PM
(25-02-2012 04:06 AM)electricnipples Wrote:  Evolution proved that it took millions of years for the universe/life to form with no person helping.
Unfortunately, human brain is a powerful computer and it can run two contradictory opinions at once. The guy who was head of the Human Genome Project is a firm believer, despite of working on firsthand evidence that this belief is false.
Then there are cases like some geologist who at the same time wrote two documents, one scientific papers dating rocks million years old, and articles for a creationistic magazine.
We can do that, in cases like one woman's left brain hemisphere didn't like some clothes and her right hemisphere liked them. Or that one man's brain half believed in God, but the pesky left hemisphere didn't.
If you're interested in names, stuff like that was from some podcasts I don't remember which anymore and you can google it up.

But as it was already written, most of believers probably don't go that far to actually look at evidence or think about things. Belief itself is satisfying enough and people by themselves won't even read their own material (even if it's God's word), much less the opposing material, they'll just say goddidit. Lazines, I suppose.

28-02-2012, 12:41 PM
(27-02-2012 09:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

You speak as if you've definitively destroyed Christianity with evolution. I suggest you brush up on your theology and accepted Christian beliefs before you make generalized statements.

There are sects of the Christian religion which can reconcile the two different beliefs, sure. But when you take the explanation offered in the literal interpretation of the Bible and place it side to side with the fact of how things came to be, can you really make the argument that the Bible is accurate?

You can even take the predominant theories which attempt to reconcile the two based on the Christian bias that their understanding is still right, aside from the fact of what we see in the Geologic record is in direct opposition to this, (for example, claiming that Genesis is Metaphorical and was only ever meant to show that God created things, not necessarily how her created them; aside from the fact it goes into great detail to show how God created things, and even does so twice and even those two description aren't cohesive in their story of "how) and you'd still be wrong.

I'll admit that you can have Christian beliefs which allow for the acceptance of Evolution. Sure. Christianity, as a philosophical belief system will allow for that. But if those same Christian wish to use the Bible, as a whole, to defend their stance, then they have to admit that the Bible is flawed. If you are one of the Christians who believes that your faith is based on Christ and not the Bible, which is at least a little more respectable, you still have to wonder where your belief is derived from, since the basis for the belief in the very book which you then try to reject because it's not convenient to use when faced with science...... It's a conundrum.

I'm not sure exactly which way you are going to come at this, but none of the Bible was written as a science book for the learned. If you want to claim that it is only a guide for the faithful to find the philosophical truths that it teaches..... Sure. I'll take that as a response. But don't try and tell me that it's a factual account of History.