How can the universe be uncaused?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 02:39 PM
How can the universe be uncaused?
I view this thread as an opportunity for an interactive education on my part. I believe that the universe must be caused by something that is not part of the physical universe because the universe (the result) cannot be its own cause. It's logically impossible. Yet I am interested on how you would explain the universe came to be and why something that is not part of the physical universe is unnecessary. My responses will primarily consist of questions, so this thread is focused primarily on the atheistic explanations for the origin of the universe. Thus I will not respond to critiques theistic beliefs regarding the origin of the universe as am I only interested in how you came to your conclusions about the origins of the universe. Let the education begin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TrueReason's post
22-08-2012, 02:44 PM
RE: How can the universe be uncaused?
To give you a short answer: We don't know (yet).

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 9 users Like Vosur's post
22-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Holy crap, I was posting my question to you in the other thread as you were posting this. Devine intervention? Lol, just messin with ya.

My answer is simple. I don't know. Not knowing doesn't justify me filling in my gap of knowledge with something made up. So I accept that until I see solid evidence of whether the universe can come to be with, or without a cause, I just won't know.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
22-08-2012, 02:49 PM
(22-08-2012 02:39 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I believe that the universe must be caused by something that is not part of the physical universe because the universe (the result) cannot be its own cause. It's logically impossible.

We've already had this discussion in your introductory thread.

"God must be caused by something that is not part of God because God (the result) cannot be its own cause. It's logically impossible."

There you go. Disappear in a puff of your own logical smoke as you try and apply different criteria to the universe as you apply to your god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 7 users Like fstratzero's post
22-08-2012, 03:18 PM
So your argument relies on the God of the Gaps? Why is it that you find it logical to assume the existence of a supernatural entity in order to explain something natural? Why add an extra, unnecessary, unprovable variable?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-08-2012, 03:20 PM
(22-08-2012 02:49 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 02:39 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I believe that the universe must be caused by something that is not part of the physical universe because the universe (the result) cannot be its own cause. It's logically impossible.

We've already had this discussion in your introductory thread.

"God must be caused by something that is not part of God because God (the result) cannot be its own cause. It's logically impossible."

There you go. Disappear in a puff of your own logical smoke as you try and apply different criteria to the universe as you apply to your god.

I don't believe that there was a god that caused the physical universe, but it's not enough to claim it's logically impossible. That's the whole definition of the power of the monotheistic god...It defies logic. It is not bound by the laws of nature, if that's how it decides to act. We have to have a better refutation than just, "God is logically impossible."

You'll have to do better to make him disappear in a puff of smoke.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-08-2012, 03:26 PM
It's not with out cause. It's just the methods by which a universe that comes into existence you are refusing.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
22-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Gwynnie did it. Heart

Cause I ain't responsible for no universe. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Again, just to remind everyone. This thread is about what you believe is the origin of the universe. I gave you my beliefs just to give a context to the question and just a quick background of my beliefs. This is why I haven't responded to those of you have posted criticisms of my view. I came to learn. Those that have posted relevant posts, I will watch the videos and come back with questions.
[+] 1 user Likes TrueReason's post