How can the universe be uncaused?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 04:34 PM
RE: How can the universe be uncaused?
(22-08-2012 04:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The Big Crunch hypothesis is unlikely. It is more far more probable that the Universe will be disrupted by entropy or that it will be ripped apart because of its rapidly increasing expansion.

However unlikely it is, it is still more likely than God. Yes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2012 04:42 PM by Red Celt.)
(22-08-2012 04:32 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Another from "nothing" idea. Also I have to stress the universe is not uncaused, but has a cause, according to science.

Your link is broken. Right, OK. It was broken for me, too. Looks like you can't link a start time in MyCode. No
22-08-2012, 04:39 PM
(22-08-2012 04:32 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Another from "nothing" idea. Also I have to stress the universe is not uncaused, but has a cause, according to science.

Correct. Thank you for mentioning that.

The statement, "according to science as we currently understand it, the universe has a cause." is correct.

The statement, "the universe must have a cause." is not correct.

The difference between the two is small in words, but vast in meaning.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
22-08-2012, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2012 04:51 PM by fstratzero.)
Another question if the universe was caused by god. How can the causer its self be uncaused?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
22-08-2012, 04:58 PM
(22-08-2012 04:34 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 04:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The Big Crunch hypothesis is unlikely. It is more far more probable that the Universe will be disrupted by entropy or that it will be ripped apart because of its rapidly increasing expansion.

However unlikely it is, it is still more likely than God. Yes

Dealing with infinity, anything is possible with no contradictions. Drooling

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-08-2012, 05:00 PM
You can say the thread is so and so, but you made a claim initially. A thread is a live event that can change by the direction of the topics.

Regardless, the idea that a universe can't just create itself is logically impossible how? The Buddhist belief is that the universe has always existed, may always exist as well.

What if I said the universe was created by a God using parts of a Frost Giant to create the universe? Would that be logical possible? People have; others still do to this day in Scandinavian countries.

What makes a scientific hypothesis that isn't yet pinpointed to any one correct theory any more strong? It has a look at what the process after the universe's creations have been and how energy and matter interact. Follow those patterns and you will find the source to the extent a living being can.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-08-2012, 05:08 PM
[Image: physicists.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 05:10 PM
(22-08-2012 03:39 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Again, just to remind everyone. This thread is about what you believe is the origin of the universe. I gave you my beliefs just to give a context to the question and just a quick background of my beliefs. This is why I haven't responded to those of you have posted criticisms of my view. I came to learn. Those that have posted relevant posts, I will watch the videos and come back with questions.

Wow, this sounds rational. That's refreshing. Even here in a forum populated with atheists, the ratio of rational:irrational is too small.

Causality requires time (effect must follow cause), so we assume that the beginning of time was un-caused.

Even though we can't understand how an event can happen un-caused, if every event had a cause, we'd have an infinite regress of causal events. Therefore it had to happen at some point, and your religious belief (or lack of it) will usually dictate where you think that regress cuts off. Theists assume the first cause is God, and atheists assume it's the Big Bang.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
22-08-2012, 05:19 PM
(22-08-2012 03:39 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Again, just to remind everyone. This thread is about what you believe is the origin of the universe. I gave you my beliefs just to give a context to the question and just a quick background of my beliefs. This is why I haven't responded to those of you have posted criticisms of my view. I came to learn. Those that have posted relevant posts, I will watch the videos and come back with questions.

I like you, because you like to learn. Smile

I hope that is sincere and actual. I hope you are looking for real answers.

So many good videos and names posted already, for you. Makes me smile Smile

I see your response in another thread, I need a computer to discuss more, so later.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
22-08-2012, 05:53 PM
(22-08-2012 03:39 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Again, just to remind everyone. This thread is about what you believe is the origin of the universe.

God's a suicide bomber and everything else is shrapnel. ... Or we're just fucking making it all up as we go along. ... I vacillate between the two.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post