How can we Atheists provide an alternative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: How can we Atheists provide an alternative?
Wait just a fucking minute... TGluegon... you live in KC? Ohmy What the fuck? You guys got atheist Meetup groups out the ass up there! Sunday is science day at Union Station - hell any day is - they have Science City there!! The parks, museums, theaters, music venues, art galleries, the Nelson-Atkins!! KC is a great city offering a lot to the community - you need to look around more, man!!

An atheist buddy of mine hangs out at The Rime Buddhist Center on W Pennway, under the overpass. Buddhists don't give a shit about lack of belief and he enjoys the Dharma talks given by their Lama.... Lama Chuck. I shit you not. My friend also likes the meditation time & instruction they provide, he also appreciates the community things they do.

With what the city offers, the sky is the limit ... and of course, there's always Crossroads district on First Fridays. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
(07-04-2013 02:28 PM)kim Wrote:  Wait just a fucking minute... TGluegon... you live in KC?

Why would anyone want to live inside a Calvanist? Big Grin

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
07-04-2013, 03:07 PM
(02-04-2013 09:58 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I swear, the more Harris talks the less I care for him. He's dangerous cutting close to 'science explains the how, but religion explains the why'. First guns, now spirituality.

No one says that you can't detach yourself from reality for entertainment of comfort. Just don't make the mistake of replacing aspects of reality with fantasy. And no fantasy can ever approach the awe and dread that the universe has to offer.

I didn't like him when he first spoke. The only thing I agree with him on is his hypothesis on free will. Other than that, I have no idea why people prop him up on the same level as greater intellectuals like Hitchens, Dawkins, etc.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
(02-04-2013 08:19 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  In a Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennet round table discussion, Sam Harris made the point that science doesn't really tackle, all too well, the "spiritual" aspects of the human experience. Now there's nothing about the concept that love, relief (etc...) is nothing more than a bunch of endorphines getting dumped in amongst our neurons that would cheapen the way I feel those emotions, but for some it would. First loves, first time a person is accepted by a large group of friendly people; there simply MUST be more to it than that for them. I'm an athiest, but even I think to take an awe inspiring, life changing moment and reduce it to a measured, clinical calculation takes something away from it. I don't know what that "it" is; just feels like somethings missing. That all being said, I guess I'm asking is there a way to meld the scientific, and the spiritual? If all the organized religions of the world were to disappear tommorrow, a new one would pop up the day after, and I doubt science could fill the void!
Suggestions/Thought?

Personally I think since atheism doesn't provide anything other than an answer to the god question, the search and research process of filling the voids is the fun part.

Thinking about that question has lead me to research ethics and psychology. I've come to blend some ethical systems together, and understand my emotions and self much better.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
If I end up calling this guy GlueGun, it's gonna be all your fault, Kimmy. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
(07-04-2013 04:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If I end up calling this guy GlueGun, it's gonna be all your fault, Kimmy. Angel

Hey, in my head, he answers to it so... mmyea, no biggie. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
(07-04-2013 02:28 PM)kim Wrote:  Wait just a fucking minute... TGluegon... you live in KC? Ohmy What the fuck? You guys got atheist Meetup groups out the ass up there! Sunday is science day at Union Station - hell any day is - they have Science City there!! The parks, museums, theaters, music venues, art galleries, the Nelson-Atkins!! KC is a great city offering a lot to the community - you need to look around more, man!!

An atheist buddy of mine hangs out at The Rime Buddhist Center on W Pennway, under the overpass. Buddhists don't give a shit about lack of belief and he enjoys the Dharma talks given by their Lama.... Lama Chuck. I shit you not. My friend also likes the meditation time & instruction they provide, he also appreciates the community things they do.

With what the city offers, the sky is the limit ... and of course, there's always Crossroads district on First Fridays. Wink

In another thread talking to an atheist from Texarkana, or possibly the other guy from the bible-belt, I explained that moving to KC at 14 was GREAT. And that if I hadn't, & still lived near Little Rock, AR I might still be mired in all that fear! Climbing out of the indoctrination of a christian academy grade school was like trying to escape quicksand. And I told him just how absent life in & around KC is from "loud", preachy christians. But that doesn't help him any, except maybe to implant something to daydream about while he languishes in that shit. There may very well be NO PLACE FOR HIM TO GO AND DISCUSS HIS PROBLEMS without being told to go to church!!!!!! The fucking high school counselers, & shrinks probably go to Sunday service. Even the "liberal" christians can get nasty; I KNOW!! And I reiterate; my heart goes out to any folks of reason stuck in "the South". I don't have the money to move 'em up here, or pay a senator to deport his tormenters. He needs an alternative other than "make enough money to move the fuck outta there". Or his discoveries, and search for knowledge might never be allowed to take place in the open. Always having to take place in the dark, like he's some skulking predator. I NO LONGER NEED "church", because I know people who are awesome, & there are alot of "reasonable" people HERE. Sorry southern fella, all I got for ya is this forum. Love the forum, but every once in awhile that guy needs a kiss, hug, a handshake, or to tell a joke to someone who hasn't got a cross all the way up their ass!

07-04-2013, 05:48 PM
And by "alternative" I guess I mean increasing secular & educational places, like I've got to hang out at, for those who don't, like him!!!! There are christians everywhere, but they're "dug in like alabama ticks" Smile.......anyone who gets that movie quote gets extra credit Wink in the SouthEast U.S. ! MILLIONS of people who (without being dragged there as children) might choose ________ instead of church if christianity's black prescense wasn't so prevalent there.. And, ofcourse, over time these gee-bus loving freaks might start disappearing.

07-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:In a Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennet round table discussion, Sam Harris made the point that science doesn't really tackle, all too well, the "spiritual" aspects of the human experience. Now there's nothing about the concept that love, relief (etc...)
Wait, so this is the quote people are using to say he's thinking "spiritual" feelings and woo are a thing? I didn't watch that one, but when I read that, having read his books and shit, I interpret as him saying "science hasn't looked at it deeply enough to fully explain all aspects to the satisfaction of all parties involved," not as "woo woo exists and we need woo woo!" The latter seems like a view he wouldn't espouse, to me. This is the same guy who says morality can be viewed scientifically; so I really doubt he's saying science CAN'T explain emotions. Again, I didn't see the thing, I'm taking just this tidbit and comparing it to things I did see and read by him.

And in any case, even if he meant it couldn't, you don't have to agree with him. I certainly don't agree with him on a lot of shit. What scientists study have a lot to do with funding and such, so it is not surprising that there are areas with less studies done on them. Especially in a place where a lot of people are "religious" or "spiritual;" they aren't going to fund scientists to debunk their woo and spiritual feelings. They don't want to hear that it's chemicals in their brain; they want to hear that it's gods or spirits, whatever the fuck spirits are.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 11:16 PM
(02-04-2013 09:58 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I swear, the more Harris talks the less I care for him. He's dangerous cutting close to 'science explains the how, but religion explains the why'. First guns, now spirituality.

No one says that you can't detach yourself from reality for entertainment of comfort. Just don't make the mistake of replacing aspects of reality with fantasy. And no fantasy can ever approach the awe and dread that the universe has to offer.

I find myself agreeing completely. Although I like Sam Harris' aggressive stance against religion, especially his refreshing confrontation of Islam, I care very little for his opinion on the subject of spirituality.

Christopher Hitchens, in his book "god is Not Great, How Religion Poisons Everything" goes into great detail concerning the hypocrisy of eastern religions, as well as their extremely unhealthy obsession with meditation. Meditation is not unhealthy normally, but most things are when taken to extremes.

I don't like the concept of spirituality. It just seems like another awful explanation of how to make humans happy. We are already engaged in round one with religion, we hardly need a round 2 with spirituality.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.