How can we be sure it's real?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-07-2015, 05:44 AM
RE: How can we be sure it's real?
(28-07-2015 03:40 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 03:21 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Obiwan: Luke feel the force and be one with the delusion.

Han Solo the atheist: Hokie religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid Smile

Says the guy with a faked "blaster" made out of a Mauser broomhandle with a funny looking scope on it..... Yep --that's really what it is. A 110 year old German pistol.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-07-2015, 07:01 AM
(28-07-2015 02:34 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Something that exists is objectively verifiable. Objective verification implies consistency. This is a fundamental principle that will be used as a guide for this thread.

I exist. If I go all over the world and meet the people of the world, I will be described as an handsome, negro man that's 179 cm tall with the name BlackMason. Everyone that has met me all over the world will describe me very consistently because I am objectively verifiable because I exist.

God doesn't exist because he is not objectively verifiable. The lack of consistency with his description is also sufficient to conclude that he doesn't exist. Christians say his name is Jehovah. Muslims say that they serve the same God as the Christians but his name is Allah and doesn't have a Son as the Christians claim. That's inconsistency which undermines objective verification. Further, the description of God changes dramatically depending on geography. Change your continent and you'll get different claims to his description.

If God was objectively verifiable then there would be no question as to which religion we should follow. There'd be no question as to which denomination within that religion we should be under. There would be unanimous agreement the world over. This would be the outcome if God existed because he would be objectively verifiable.

I anticipate that some will disagree with what I've said. They may say that objective verification is not necessary. To those people I say, you present an epistemological conundrum. Without objective verification you can't claim to know something because how would you know that you know it? Objective reality is the confirmation that we know something and that our knowledge is true.

Because of this, it is rational to conclude that God doesn't exist.

Yes. Everything that you have lined out here is very strong evidence that God is purely imaginary. That's why I like to ask theists how I can reliably distinguish what they are calling God from something they are just imagining. It rarely goes beyond two exchanges before they flee. It is all manner of fun.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
29-07-2015, 09:48 AM
(28-07-2015 11:54 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 02:34 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Without objective verification you can't claim to know something because how would you know that you know it?
Yes, I can IF the Holy Ghost testifies to me.
It's like this: I know that I have to go home right now but I do not know why. I go home and I find my mother laying on the floor. Because I knew I had to go home my mother's life was saved.
How did I know that it was very urgent to go back home?
Do you know?

The space between one's ears is apparently this one's final frontier.

Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-07-2015, 10:03 AM
(28-07-2015 02:34 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Without objective verification you can't claim to know something because how would you know that you know it?
It's like this: I know that I have to go home right now but I do not know why. I go home and I find my mother laying on the floor. Because I knew I had to go home my mother's life was saved.
Do you know?

It's nothing a little Imodium won't cure.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
29-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Do you know?

Prove that this "Holy Ghost" isn't more than your imagination.

Did this Holy Spirit tell you that Joseph Smith was correct when he said that there were ancient Jewish civilizations in North America and the Garden of Eden was in Missouri?

Can you possibly understand the concept of providing some type of evidence for your assertions?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Your question is backwards. You are very handsome. God does not exist.

I am not being flippant. I believe you are handsome. I believe there is no evidence for the supernatural.

I also think white racists gettting a sun tan is hilariously funny.

(28-07-2015 02:34 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Something that exists is objectively verifiable. Objective verification implies consistency. This is a fundamental principle that will be used as a guide for this thread.

I exist. If I go all over the world and meet the people of the world, I will be described as an handsome, negro man that's 179 cm tall with the name BlackMason. Everyone that has met me all over the world will describe me very consistently because I am objectively verifiable because I exist.

God doesn't exist because he is not objectively verifiable. The lack of consistency with his description is also sufficient to conclude that he doesn't exist. Christians say his name is Jehovah. Muslims say that they serve the same God as the Christians but his name is Allah and doesn't have a Son as the Christians claim. That's inconsistency which undermines objective verification. Further, the description of God changes dramatically depending on geography. Change your continent and you'll get different claims to his description.

If God was objectively verifiable then there would be no question as to which religion we should follow. There'd be no question as to which denomination within that religion we should be under. There would be unanimous agreement the world over. This would be the outcome if God existed because he would be objectively verifiable.

I anticipate that some will disagree with what I've said. They may say that objective verification is not necessary. To those people I say, you present an epistemological conundrum. Without objective verification you can't claim to know something because how would you know that you know it? Objective reality is the confirmation that we know something and that our knowledge is true.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-07-2015, 12:11 PM
(29-07-2015 12:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ---

Laugh out load

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Some stars that lie outside the observable universe are not objectively verifiable. Does this mean they do not exist? Of course not. Just because something is not objectively verifiable doesn't mean it can't exist. This kind of thinking is errant and should be abandoned.
29-07-2015, 01:37 PM
(29-07-2015 12:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Your question is backwards. You are very handsome. God does not exist.

I am not being flippant. I believe you are handsome. I believe there is no evidence for the supernatural.

George Carlin noted - it's even funnier when otherwise healthy people give themselves skin cancer trying to look healthier.......

So yeah -- a white supremacist who gets skin cancer from tanning would be ironic and a bit of a chuckle.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-07-2015, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2015 01:55 PM by BlackMason.)

You again. Are you cured of your racism?

The Holy Ghost could be a figment of your imagination. You could hear a voice in your head that doesn't belong to you which could be a sign of mental illness. Someone standing next to you when the Holy Ghost testified to you would likely not conclude anything about the Holy Ghost.

(29-07-2015 01:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Some stars that lie outside the observable universe are not objectively verifiable. Does this mean they do not exist? Of course not. Just because something is not objectively verifiable doesn't mean it can't exist. This kind of thinking is errant and should be abandoned.

No, you misunderstand. One can't begin to make a confident statement that those stars exist. It is possible that they do exits though. Stating that they do exits is an argument from ignorance. To say that the stars exist is a knowledge claim. So we're back to the epistemological conundrum if they can't be objectively verified. Existence is a knowledge claim. Objective verification is the means by which we corroborate knowledge.

Sorry bro, you're the one in the wrong here.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."