How can you deny evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2010, 06:49 PM
How can you deny evolution?
This is something I always wondered. It's just so easy to prove.

I mean, lets have a simple evidence: Domestic animals, more specifically the dog.

I mean, the King Charles Spaniel subspecies of domestic dog is less than 300 years old, and we know for sure it didn't pop out of the air or randomly arrive in a litter of St Bernard puppies.

What are creationists thinking?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
RE: How can you deny evolution?
They don't deny micro evolution like what you describe. What they dispute is that there is a common ancestor between, for example, a frog and a human. Denying that species evolve when we can see the type of breeding you suggest or viruses and bacteria becoming resistant to vaccines and anti-biotics would be an interesting argument to watch. That is not their focus, though. What creationists dispute is the idea that we all evolved from single cell organisms and then turned into invertebrates, then mammals, etc.

Thinking about it, though, I don't see why micro-evolution like in viruses and dogs doesn't contradict the bible either. If God created all species then how is that humans can create more? Doesn't really make sense, does it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Aye, but if it only took 4000 years for us to make as many sub species as we did from wild animals, then why is it so unbelievable that nature would do a much better job in a little under 4000 million years?

Also I thought the idea of men making anything to be blasphemous. I was told thats why we call 2 types of dog different "breeds" while a grey and white wolf are different "species"

11-09-2010, 02:32 AM
1.) You can deny anything that you don't agree with. A very good example is the 'Flat Earth Society' who claim that the earth is flat like the bible says and claim that all pictures and videos from space were actually made in a movie special effects studio.

2.) Evolution threatens the security blanket of many religious people. They want to know that they are special, they are being loved and cared for, they will live forever (that is why we have a soul) and they will go to a better place after they leave this world. Evolution removes the part about being them being special and threatens the rest of these beliefs.

3.) Evolution goes against the child indoctrination they were subjected to, which has been shown to be extremely effective in turning innocent minds into life-long believers with a small percentage of deserters, or should I say, those who learn to accept evidence and proof.
11-09-2010, 03:14 AM

Very nice summary, No J.!!
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:1.) You can deny anything that you don't agree with. A very good example is the 'Flat Earth Society' who claim that the earth is flat like the bible says and claim that all pictures and videos from space were actually made in a movie special effects studio.

This doesn't detract from your point but just as a point of interest, the Flat Earth Society is actually satirical. They don't believe the Earth is flat, they are just poking fun at Creationists.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I've presented examples of evolution that we have witnessed. Of course, we have never seen any radical change, since we haven't been around that long. But we have seen huge leaps and bounds. The Italian Wall Lizards, for example, or as you mentioned, dogs. The idea isn't crazy to them that these little changes happen. I think what they fail to truly realize is that's all evolution says, little changes happen. No respected biologist claims that evolution occurs in huge leaps and bounds. It's all just little baby steps. They accept that these little baby steps can happen, they just don't seem to get that lots of little baby steps can go a long way.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

I would say one of the main reasons why they deny evolution is because the don't actually know what evolution says, and they have no desire to learn what it actually is. Instead we get the laughable excuses (Comfort's "Banana" spiel) No animal as every turned into another fallacy (Dogs don't give birth to cats), No transitional forms (the "Crocoduck). Hell, even when you give them an example of Evolution happening in the present (Nylonase, for example) there are always excuses. The common one of gotten with Nylonase is "all the elements of nylon already exists, therefore it isn't Evolution"
In the end, though it isn't hard to see where the real science is.. Evolution has gotten into the classroom through the peer review process, Creationism refuses to go through peer review, tries to strong arm it's way in via the law, and still fails..
11-09-2010, 09:29 AM

I just don't think people can fathom what 4 billion years means. It is such a long time frame that it seems unreasonable to the human mind. We are used to thinking on human time scales. Go back more than a few thousand years and the intervals lose meaning to us. I think that is why the concept of a fixed, few thousand year old world is so enticing and satisfying to so many.
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't think it's hard for the human brain to wonder into greatness.

Personally I've gotten lost many times in thinking of huge scales. I spent what seemed like a couple of minutes thinking about what lies outside of our universe, but my clock says I was stuck in thought for 4 hours xD
Afternoon well spent though, I got some interesting insights into myself and possibilities.

But ya I see what you mean with that. Sometimes I think of things that are just too large to fathom, like so much that I actually get pretty frightened xD

yes, I rambling again.