How can you deny evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2010, 08:22 AM
RE: How can you deny evolution?
The dog breed argument misses the point. Creationist don't deny you can breed certain traits in and out of a species, or that a species itself can evolve to compensate for certain traits. So, for example, a virus building up a resistance to a vaccine, a roach building up a resistance to a poison, etc.

What creationists object to is the belief that a horse and a fish have some kind of common ancestor; the idea that one species can turn into a completely different species. So, the King Charles Spaniel example does not address their issue at all.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 09:54 AM

"How can you deny Evolution?"

Easily. I take a good long look at the monotheistic Abrahamic faiths, particularly terrorists of Islam. Tongue Sad
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 11:01 AM
(07-11-2010 05:07 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  Well i must say this is brilliant examples FOR DESIGN
Let me explain why

Did the King Charles Spaniel slowly evolve naturally over time and then people went wow thats a cool dog I want it.

No Man bred it picking out the dogs with the bit they wanted so they had the breed they wanted.

So this shows evolution needing an Intelligent being AKA a designer

No, it shows that evolution can be influenced by outside agents, which is something that we knew already. It does not show that evolution must be influenced by outside agents.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM

(07-11-2010 11:01 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(07-11-2010 05:07 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  Well i must say this is brilliant examples FOR DESIGN
Let me explain why

Did the King Charles Spaniel slowly evolve naturally over time and then people went wow thats a cool dog I want it.

No Man bred it picking out the dogs with the bit they wanted so they had the breed they wanted.

No, it shows that evolution can be influenced by outside agents, which is something that we knew already. It does not show that evolution must be influenced by outside agents.

I am not saying that there must be a designer for evolution to work I am simply saying that this argument, which i have heard many times, is a horrible one and not a good way to open this discussion.
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Let me explain why
This post contadicts
(07-11-2010 11:45 PM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  I am not saying that there must be a designer for evolution to work I am simply saying that this argument, which i have heard many times, is a horrible one and not a good way to open this discussion.

this post. So far I don't see any of your arguments having any valid basis.
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
(07-11-2010 11:45 PM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  I am not saying that there must be a designer for evolution to work I am simply saying that this argument, which i have heard many times, is a horrible one and not a good way to open this discussion.

It seems to me that that's exactly what you said.

(07-11-2010 05:07 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  So this shows evolution needing an Intelligent being AKA a designer

But whatever.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Emperor Paradox > When I, or any atheist for that matter, debate with theists, we are expected to at least understand the topic. That topic being the bible, god, religion, etc. I don't think you understand evolution, as evidenced by your previous statements on the subject. May I suggest reading "The Greatest Show on Earth"? It will give you a far better understanding of evolution, and leave you far better equipped to debate the topic. (Though once you've read it, there will be little left to debate. For example, after just an hour or two of reading, your "dog argument" will be explained as false in terms that no thinking person can refute).

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-11-2010, 02:28 AM
(08-11-2010 04:45 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  For example, after just an hour or two of reading, your "dog argument" will be explained as false in terms that no thinking person can refute).

Will Emperor Paradox buy the book and prove that he can think? Will reality reveal itself and enlighten him? And what about the diabolical Mister X?
Tune in tomorrow for another episode of 'The Proof is Out There."
09-11-2010, 07:48 AM
LOL@No J.

I have a few JWs that visit me every couple weeks in an attempt to save me. (I guess they added a few spots in heaven). I suggested the book to them and they said that they just couldn't read it because if they read every book atheists suggested to them they'd go broke buying them. This past saturday they came by, and I handed them a brand new copy. I said that since they were kind enough to provide me with so much literature about their beliefs, I felt it only right to return the favor by giving them some literature that explained something I believe is true.
It was weird though. A few minutes after they left, I could smell something burning nearby, and could hear some strange chanting, as though a strange group were performing some sort of burning ritual......Oh well. Hope they enjoyed the book as much as I did!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Ah, yes. Those who have learned the least are the most qualified to teach.