How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2017, 11:24 PM
How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
This is a very interesting question.

For someone who's delusional, how to tell the difference and find reality?

What sorts of thinking do you do? What kind of research do you do? What kind of experiments and experiences do you try out to verify if something is real or not?

I don't know good ways to it but I guess, one should identify the sources of delusions, get to the root of it and evaluate.

Existentialistically speaking, one may evaluate if delusions are practical, positive or not... and whether to live with it or change it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinker's post
13-06-2017, 12:34 AM
RE: How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
Ultimately, it's impossible. If you are fully delusional, then you inhabit an alternate version of reality from which you can't escape. This applies to everyone in the end.

You can spot partial delusion however within whatever reality you're in by looking for inconsistency. The most basic method is to ask other people if they experience the same things you do. If you're the only one who "sees" something, then it's fair to assume it's not part of the reality. Things which don't fit well with past experience and the rules of the reality as you know them are also good candidates.

Do you have any more specific examples in mind?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Robvalue's post
13-06-2017, 01:04 AM
I talk to other humans. I ask them if my thinking makes sense.

Most of the time it does, but those times when it doesn't, they just tell me, "Darrell, you're ful of shit."

And then I listen.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-06-2017, 01:32 AM
(12-06-2017 11:24 PM)Thinker Wrote:  ...
What sorts of thinking do you do?

It depends on whether there's a detectable problem manifesting in one or more incidents.

If not, I wouldn't know.

I would use a variety or root cause analysis (RCA) techniques.

Incidents/problems are usually caused by some kind of change of state. Therefore, I'd analyse the change log to determine what recent changes had been implemented... most likely chemical changes. In other words, what I had been smoking or drinking.

Smokin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
13-06-2017, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 04:48 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(12-06-2017 11:24 PM)Thinker Wrote:  For someone who's delusional, how to tell the difference and find reality?

We are all delusional every night when we sleep and dream. We think our dreams are actually happening to us in reality -- as long as we are asleep at least. Rarely do we concurrently challenge those delusions, because we lack the necessary brain-chemistry and brain-activation for critical thinking, and for access to orienting memories and external infomation.

Some people have similar problems in waking because their brains don't work right. They dream when they are awake, and repeatedly confuse the two sources of input. They can take certain medications which help, and they can rely on others who don't have the same problems, but it's a continual struggle for them.

As for mass-delusions like religions or political parties which have become fact-free, it's difficult for normal people to escape. Critical thinking skills and reliable information are required, but such people typically reject both.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-06-2017, 05:30 AM
If your ol' lady is yelling at you for leaving the seat up on the toilet, nobody programmed the coffee pot, so there's no coffee, and the damned dog shit on the front porch - again - that's reality.

If you find yourself in Tahiti getting a blowjob from a supermodel, and it appears your dick has grown an inch or so overnight - do we really have to explain to you that you're delusional????
Smartass

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-06-2017, 05:40 AM
What advantage do I gain from distinguishing between the two if the delusions are more entertaining?

'Murican Canadian
13-06-2017, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 06:05 AM by jennybee.)
A delusion is maintaining an event or incident as fact, when all other evidence says otherwise and being unwilling or unable to step back and view things rationally.

Reality is sifting through information, weighing evidence, then thinking rationally to form an opinion. Reality is checking magic in at the door and looking for a more plausible explanation for said occurrence or event.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-06-2017, 06:48 AM
We use our senses to provide us with observations. We rely to some extent on the experiences and observations of others together with our personal experiences, knowledge and reasoning skills to determine if these observations are valid.

The more that our observations are confirmed by others and are aligned with our experiences, then they provide us with a reality that seems to work pretty well.

Where observations are not confirmed by others and they are at odds with our experience then they MAY be delusional. As jennybee has stated very succinctly, where such potentially delusional observations are maintained despite objective evidence being at odds with them, then the stronger the likelihood that such observations ARE delusional.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
13-06-2017, 06:52 AM
I can't. I just come to TTA and ask.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post