How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
(13-06-2017 05:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  What advantage do I gain from distinguishing between the two if the delusions are more entertaining?

I guess that depends on the delusion. The delusion that one can fly, for instance, could be a little detrimental to one's health, no matter how entertained you might be before hitting the ground.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-06-2017, 07:40 AM
(13-06-2017 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I can't. I just come to TTA and ask.

But, Bucky, my most dearest, how do you know *TTA* isn't a figment of your imagination? Figments, figments all the way down [Image: 43.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
13-06-2017, 09:09 AM
(13-06-2017 07:40 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I can't. I just come to TTA and ask.

But, Bucky, my most dearest, how do you know *TTA* isn't a figment of your imagination? Figments, figments all the way down [Image: 43.gif]

See. That just goes to show ya. I thought they were filaments.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-06-2017, 09:25 AM
(13-06-2017 07:14 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I guess that depends on the delusion. The delusion that one can fly, for instance, could be a little detrimental to one's health, no matter how entertained you might be before hitting the ground.

In one of his books, Dr. Allan Hobson recounted the case of one of his mental patients trying to fly through the window in a door. He ended up with his face badly lacerated.

So it does happen.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-06-2017, 09:33 AM
(13-06-2017 09:25 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 07:14 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I guess that depends on the delusion. The delusion that one can fly, for instance, could be a little detrimental to one's health, no matter how entertained you might be before hitting the ground.

In one of his books, Dr. Allan Hobson recounted the case of one of his mental patients trying to fly through the window in a door. He ended up with his face badly lacerated.

So it does happen.

Yeah. Reality does have an annoying way of sorting out what is and isn't real.
Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-06-2017, 09:54 AM
(13-06-2017 09:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  See. That just goes to show ya. I thought they were filaments.

Might very well be! Maybe the Divine Infinite Cosmic Knitter has finally decided the pull the plug thread of this yarn ball of a Universe we live in Gasp

[Image: yarn.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Reality is the most persistent delusion. At least that's what I run with.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-06-2017, 10:49 AM
(12-06-2017 11:24 PM)Thinker Wrote:  This is a very interesting question.

For someone who's delusional, how to tell the difference and find reality?

What sorts of thinking do you do? What kind of research do you do? What kind of experiments and experiences do you try out to verify if something is real or not?

I don't know good ways to it but I guess, one should identify the sources of delusions, get to the root of it and evaluate.

Existentialistically speaking, one may evaluate if delusions are practical, positive or not... and whether to live with it or change it.

Well, as long as I have the capacity to reason, I can identify the relationship between the contents of my consciousness and reality. I did just this when I escaped from the delusion of religion. So it is possible provided one has a functioning brain. Generally speaking, if I'm perceiving something then it is real. If I perceive the tree in my yard I don't need any more evidence than this. By what means would I be aware of it if not by my senses?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
13-06-2017, 01:49 PM
(13-06-2017 10:49 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Generally speaking, if I'm perceiving something then it is real.

What about mirages, hallucinations, dreams, magician's illusions, etc.? All of these things are perceived as real by the person experiencing them at the time of said experience. I think that's the point of the OP's question. You can't always trust your perceptions, so how do you know when you can and when you can't?
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
13-06-2017, 01:55 PM
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

-- Philip K. Dick, How To Build A Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post