How christian of them.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: How christian of them.....
(26-10-2013 08:43 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  Oh The Blaze! I subscribe to Beck's Big Bulletin of Bullshit (well the free email version) simply for the lulz. It's way out there without having the slimy, cat-died-under-the-floor-boards-and-we-can't-get-it-out quality that pervades World Nut Daily.

Also good is Tony Perkins (of FRC fame) daily missive. Never dismiss an email which begins with "Dear Praying Friends".

-- Max

Actually I caught the article on MSN first. It was later in the day that I thought about posting it so I googled it and this was the first one that came up. The article seemed pretty much the same.

Can't say I know anything about Ze Blaze.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2013, 09:23 PM
(26-10-2013 08:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 08:43 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  Oh The Blaze! I subscribe to Beck's Big Bulletin of Bullshit (well the free email version) simply for the lulz. It's way out there without having the slimy, cat-died-under-the-floor-boards-and-we-can't-get-it-out quality that pervades World Nut Daily.

Also good is Tony Perkins (of FRC fame) daily missive. Never dismiss an email which begins with "Dear Praying Friends".

-- Max

Actually I caught the article on MSN first. It was later in the day that I thought about posting it so I googled it and this was the first one that came up. The article seemed pretty much the same.

If it's advertisements about THE AMAZING FREE ENERGY DEVICE THE ELECTRICITY COMPANIES DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT! you want then you'd best scoot on over and subscribe.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
26-10-2013, 09:27 PM
(26-10-2013 09:23 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 08:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Actually I caught the article on MSN first. It was later in the day that I thought about posting it so I googled it and this was the first one that came up. The article seemed pretty much the same.

If it's advertisements about THE AMAZING FREE ENERGY DEVICE THE ELECTRICITY COMPANIES DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT! you want then you'd best scoot on over and subscribe.

-- Max

Yes. Because spurious adverts aren't prevalent on any other news source. Dodgy

I kid, I'm sure it's a shit site. But then, what isn't these days?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-10-2013, 09:51 PM
When Christians do charity work it has nothing to do with the poor, but rather with pleasing their god. If that sounds crazy, know it's in Christian theology, which states that an act of charity done in a state of sin is worthless in the eyes of god.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
26-10-2013, 10:04 PM
(26-10-2013 09:51 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  When Christians do charity work it has nothing to do with the poor, but rather with pleasing their god. If that sounds crazy, know it's in Christian theology, which states that an act of charity done in a state of sin is worthless in the eyes of god.

I dunno. I've done quite a bit of soup kitchen type work growing up in the church. To be honest, I liked it because it felt good to help other people. Looking back, I never once was actually thinking about god, heaven or hell when I was doing the work. What I saw was the gratitude in the eyes of the needy, and what I felt was pure empathy.

Don't be so quick to denigrate people helping people, regardless of the "organization" they are affiliated with. Because in the end, that's what it is and should be: people helping people.

Most christians aren't dishonest assholes with an agenda, they're just good folks who haven't taken the time to really think things through. The tragedy is the instant vileness they've been brainwashed to react with when their worldview is challenged.

I think this is what the atheists wanting to participate with the soup kitchen were wanting to get across, that we're all just good people wanting to lend a hand. And I think that it's a good reminder of how religion can make good people act horribly, even at the cost of service to the poor, in order to keep their blinders intact.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-10-2013, 09:39 AM
They ought to start a soup kitchen of their own, wait for christians to offer help and come back with '(insert fictional character ) would be so pissed off'...
I'm really lame sometimes. But i wonder if they were expecting it when they approached the kitchen, or testing them or something. I would kinda expect that response if I were them.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
27-10-2013, 10:27 AM
That's really appalling, and this Lou Landrum is a horrible person.

Of course, I can simply be a bad christian.
27-10-2013, 10:29 AM
(27-10-2013 10:27 AM)Othmar Wrote:  That's really appalling, and this Lou Landrum is a horrible person.

Of course, I can simply be a bad christian.

By default, religious people don't piss me off. But when they use it to discriminate and treat other people like shit, I think it makes them pieces of shit. So if you don't use it to discriminate and you can see why it's an asshole thing to do.... well... looks good on ya. Thumbsup

Relevant link: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
27-10-2013, 10:41 AM
This from the comic strip.

Their attitude is more like "I'm Jewish and this shit is awesome! I don't give a raging crap if you're joining or not. In fact, you're not allowed in. All this awesome shit is mine."

Pretty close to calvinism if you ask me. Angel

~ Umberto Eco
27-10-2013, 03:52 PM
(26-10-2013 10:04 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 09:51 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  When Christians do charity work it has nothing to do with the poor, but rather with pleasing their god. If that sounds crazy, know it's in Christian theology, which states that an act of charity done in a state of sin is worthless in the eyes of god.

I dunno. I've done quite a bit of soup kitchen type work growing up in the church. To be honest, I liked it because it felt good to help other people. Looking back, I never once was actually thinking about god, heaven or hell when I was doing the work. What I saw was the gratitude in the eyes of the needy, and what I felt was pure empathy.

Don't be so quick to denigrate people helping people, regardless of the "organization" they are affiliated with. Because in the end, that's what it is and should be: people helping people.

Most christians aren't dishonest assholes with an agenda, they're just good folks who haven't taken the time to really think things through. The tragedy is the instant vileness they've been brainwashed to react with when their worldview is challenged.

I think this is what the atheists wanting to participate with the soup kitchen were wanting to get across, that we're all just good people wanting to lend a hand. And I think that it's a good reminder of how religion can make good people act horribly, even at the cost of service to the poor, in order to keep their blinders intact.

I was only speaking of Christian doctrine. If someone wants to help others for the sake of those people, that's a good thing. I doubt highly that most Christians are thinking of doctrine when they help others.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
[+] 1 user Likes Crimson Flyboy's post