How come I'm not an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 10:34 AM
RE: How come I'm not an atheist?
(10-05-2017 09:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheists don't "believe" no god exists, any more than anyone "believes" no Sparkly Pink Unicorns exist. The notion is simply dismissed, as undefined and preposterous. There is no reason to take a position on something that is undefined and incoherent. The absence of something is not a something.

I believe no Sparkly Pink Unicorns exist.

I mean everyone knows they aren't sparkly, they are shiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
10-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Hi Welcome Back Smile

I think everyone's philosophy of life is different. I also think there are gradations to any philosophy of life. It could be that you're just not quite there yet in terms of atheism--it's not easy to just let beliefs that you were raised with just go. Darrel Ray calls it "The God Virus" in his book for a reason. Wink

It could also be that you are happy living in the gray. It's what's most comfortable for you. I think if you are comfortable there, stay there, while continuing to educate yourself on science, the history of religion, logic and reason. The best way to continue to shape your world view is through education and research.
10-05-2017, 01:49 PM
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 06:10 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You are an atheist.

The title should be ....
"Why I don't understand the definition of atheism ?"

This.

You just said " I don't believe that a god does exist", so congrats, you are an atheist. The part about not believing a god doesn't exist is irrelevant.

And technically everyone is agnostic, because nobody knows if there is any god or not.

All of this

Do you believe a god exists ?
If the answer is NO, then you are an atheist.

I invite others to continue quoting this, until the message is understood.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-05-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 02:38 PM by jennybee.)
(10-05-2017 01:49 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  This.

You just said " I don't believe that a god does exist", so congrats, you are an atheist. The part about not believing a god doesn't exist is irrelevant.

And technically everyone is agnostic, because nobody knows if there is any god or not.

All of this

I think we all understand it Wink But there's a difference between understanding it and shoving it down someone's throat. Some people take a little longer than others to make the complete leap and call themselves an atheist. Religious brainwashing runs deep. While on the surface, yes, I agree with you--you don't believe in gods, you're an atheist. However, psychologically speaking, getting yourself to a place where you can comfortably say "Hey, I'm an atheist" is another thing entirely. For some people, calling themselves agnostic feels right *to them* as they try to further figure things out.

I considered myself agnostic as a stopping point as I made my way from xtian to atheist. It was a very confusing time for me with the world I once knew becoming completely shattered. I was caught in the middle between what I was conditioned to believe to be true by people I loved and trusted and the world of science and rational thought. It can be hard to undo that if you've been as highly conditioned as I was. Agnostic was a safe place for me to land before I went full on atheist.

I personally prefer to support people who identify as agnostic (as opposed to quibbling over what *they* decide to identify with) and help them find the tools they need to possibly make another leap onto atheism.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
10-05-2017, 02:38 PM
(10-05-2017 02:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I personally prefer to support people who identify as agnostic (as opposed to quibbling over what *they* decide to identify with) and help them find the tools they need to possibly make another leap onto atheism.
Yeah that is pretty much my position as well.

In truth no total stranger has ever been impertinent enough in the roughly two decades I've been an unbeliever, to ask me about my personal metaphysical beliefs. Frankly, no one seems to give a fig, and that seems about right to me.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
10-05-2017, 03:04 PM
(10-05-2017 04:13 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I'm an agnostic: I don't believe that a god does exist, and I don't believe that a god doesn't exist,

Agnosticism is not about belief; it's about knowledge.
Atheism is about belief.

To be agnostic is to maintain that you don't know that God exists or does not exist. What you believe is something else again.

I submit that, at any given point in time, you either do believe -- in which case you are a theistic agnostic -- or you do not believe -- in which case you are an atheistic agnostic. And your state of belief may change with circumstances; nonetheless, it is always there.

Mikey? Is that you? Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
10-05-2017, 04:52 PM
How come I'm not an atheist?
(10-05-2017 04:13 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I'm an agnostic: I don't believe that a god does exist [...] Anyway, that's what my question is all about actually: why am I an agnostic and not an atheist?

Since you have no belief in a god, you are an atheist. You can call yourself whatever you like. You can call yourself an aardvark if you want, but that pesky lack of belief drops you into the atheist category. Sorry to disappoint.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
(10-05-2017 02:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:49 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All of this

I think we all understand it Wink But there's a difference between understanding it and shoving it down someone's throat. Some people take a little longer than others to make the complete leap and call themselves an atheist. Religious brainwashing runs deep. While on the surface, yes, I agree with you--you don't believe in gods, you're an atheist. However, psychologically speaking, getting yourself to a place where you can comfortably say "Hey, I'm an atheist" is another thing entirely. For some people, calling themselves agnostic feels right *to them* as they try to further figure things out.

I considered myself agnostic as a stopping point as I made my way from xtian to atheist. It was a very confusing time for me with the world I once knew becoming completely shattered. I was caught in the middle between what I was conditioned to believe to be true by people I loved and trusted and the world of science and rational thought. It can be hard to undo that if you've been as highly conditioned as I was. Agnostic was a safe place for me to land before I went full on atheist.

I personally prefer to support people who identify as agnostic (as opposed to quibbling over what *they* decide to identify with) and help them find the tools they need to possibly make another leap onto atheism.

its easy to call myself an atheist. There is no deity thing. Its not so easy to deny any and all observations to maintain a disbelief in anything.
10-05-2017, 06:50 PM
(10-05-2017 02:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:49 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All of this

I was never even a real theist and it took me several years to feel comfortable identifying as an atheist, I referred to myself as an agnostic from probably 12-22. Atheist somehow felt like a much more confrontational term, and Christians reacted much more strongly to it, so it was simply easier to identify as agnostic. I realize now I was an atheist all along, it just wasn't something I could proclaim easily, especially to my somewhat religious family.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like MustangManda's post
11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
(10-05-2017 04:52 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Since you have no belief in a god, you are an atheist. You can call yourself whatever you like. You can call yourself an aardvark if you want, but that pesky lack of belief drops you into the atheist category. Sorry to disappoint.

But is he an aardvark atheist, or an aardvark agnostic? Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post