How come I'm not an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2017, 04:31 AM
RE: How come I'm not an atheist?
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  And technically everyone is agnostic, because nobody knows if there is any god or not.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with this. I know for sure, 100% that God or gods do not exist. For this reason alone, I'm defined as an atheist.

I'm not an agnostic in any way, shape or form, as I totally reject the notion that supernatural entities exist, and/or any possibility that they do.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
13-05-2017, 05:50 AM
(13-05-2017 04:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  And technically everyone is agnostic, because nobody knows if there is any god or not.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with this. I know for sure, 100% that God or gods do not exist. For this reason alone, I'm defined as an atheist.

I'm not an agnostic in any way, shape or form, as I totally reject the notion that supernatural entities exist, and/or any possibility that they do.
You are an agnostic in one way, shape or form: you can't make a credible knowledge claim that either proves or disproves anything unfalsifiable, including invisible beings and realms, which of course, includes gods. That said, whether or not you admit to agnosticism on a technicality, as I do, I'm sure we both put exactly the same probability on us being wrong in our disbelief in any deities.
13-05-2017, 06:25 AM
(13-05-2017 05:50 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 04:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with this. I know for sure, 100% that God or gods do not exist. For this reason alone, I'm defined as an atheist.

You are an agnostic in one way, shape or form: you can't make a credible knowledge claim that either proves or disproves anything unfalsifiable, including invisible beings and realms, which of course, includes gods. That said, whether or not you admit to agnosticism on a technicality, as I do, I'm sure we both put exactly the same probability on us being wrong in our disbelief in any deities.

I suppose the agnostic label is more of a philosophical technical term, not really a practical term. If you grant that a god could exist, then you are technically agnostic, but it's a functionally useless position because a god has to be defined clearly enough to be falsifiable. I don't think there is a clear, falsifiable definition of any god, so it just saves time to say- nope! I don't believe it!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-05-2017, 06:34 AM
(12-05-2017 10:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 08:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ...
The top ten arguments for a god are:

And where the fuck have you been?

I was beginning to doubt your existence.

That's like an aGWoGist. Not, believe in your non-existence... I'm not an antiGWoGist.

Maybe I'm an agnwogstic?

Ohmy

I am, and have been, so freaking busy I can't think. New home, new job, finishing my second master's, working on professional credentials blah blah blah...and getting back into the gym (beams) has taken every moment of my sad lil life. Kidding..I am loving it. I am 1/4 the way through this Strategic HR Management capstone class, then roll into my MBA final class and I will be done in Aug. I miss you guys though and miss debating philosophies with those who wander into our lil web. I will be back in full force soon. Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
13-05-2017, 12:41 PM
(13-05-2017 06:25 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I suppose the agnostic label is more of a philosophical technical term, not really a practical term. If you grant that a god could exist, then you are technically agnostic, but it's a functionally useless position because a god has to be defined clearly enough to be falsifiable. I don't think there is a clear, falsifiable definition of any god, so it just saves time to say- nope! I don't believe it!
I only labor the point to get out in front of the usual theist trope that we atheists are "arrogantly" claiming that we "know" there is no god. We are doing no such thing, it isn't a question of making a knowledge claim that no one can support one way or the other. It is a question of whether belief should be afforded to the unsubstantiated or not, and whether there is any supporting evidence in the first place.

I bear down on this because it addresses the theist taboo that the fantastical wild claims of the various theisms are remotely believable or worthy of belief. That is what they always try to deflect from with their "arrogance" charge (not to mention their charges of callow hedonism and will to licentiousness, warrantless anger / bitterness, and all the other crap they find convenient to believe without the slightest justification, because it allows them to avoid the fact that we have a deeply considered and logical position that is not reactionary but in fact is quite organic.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
13-05-2017, 12:56 PM
(12-05-2017 06:08 AM)Naielis Wrote:  What's important here is how we actually arrive at truth or whether we can at all.

While I agree, that's a bit tangential don't you think? ... As is this post come to think of it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-05-2017, 02:26 PM
(10-05-2017 04:13 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I'm an agnostic...

As others have said, don't get hung up on the labels. You can call yourself whatever you like so long as it's reasonably consistent with reality. Some of that's down to respecting other people's self expression but mostly it's because the labels don't mean much. That's because even your average cabbage plant has a worldview that's too complex to sum up in a single word.

For example, I identify as an agnostic atheist for those that are concerned about the label. I can't conclusively demonstrate that god doesn't exist but I have no good reason to believe. That works well enough for most generic undefined possible deities. The moment we start talking about specific deities such as Pele, Odin or the God of the Bible I get a fair it more gnostic about the non-existence of such absurdities.

So feel free to use whatever label seems to suit, just don't call yourself late for dinner.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
13-05-2017, 02:40 PM
(13-05-2017 02:26 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  That's because even your average cabbage plant has a worldview that's too complex to sum up in a single word.

Is there something you're not sharing with the group, AncientPlant? Gasp

I'd assume it could be summed up in about three words: Don't eat me.

[Image: 3521704231_801b05e6ef.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
13-05-2017, 05:02 PM
(13-05-2017 02:40 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 02:26 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  That's because even your average cabbage plant has a worldview that's too complex to sum up in a single word.

Is there something you're not sharing with the group, AncientPlant? Gasp

No cabbages in my ancestry. That's a filthy rumor. Dodgy

Quote:I'd assume it could be summed up in about three words: Don't eat me.

And as I said, more than one word. You'd be surprised at how they chatter about sunlight, rain and a healthy dose of sheep manure. Oh and bees, but let's not go there. No

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
13-05-2017, 05:39 PM
(13-05-2017 05:02 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  No cabbages in my ancestry. That's a filthy rumor. Dodgy

And you'll crucify anyone who tries petalling peddling such tall kales tales, eh? Angel

Quote:And as I said, more than one word.

Dodgy Nobody likes a pedant

Quote: You'd be surprised at how they chatter about sunlight, rain and a healthy dose of sheep manure. Oh and bees, but let's not go there. No

Hehe, that reminds me of the very first story I wrote for an English class in uni, about a maple tree that wanted to be a truffle, because it had some jays with marital problems nesting in its head and it just wanted some peace and quiet. Ended up being turned into a piece of seaweed (well, lakeweed, technically;-)) by the local wizard, the jays got another tree to nest in (away from ravishing single jay-girls) and everyone floated and flew and flourished happily ever after. Yes

Ah, such innocent times...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user