How comfortable are you talking about it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: How comfortable are you talking about it?
(15-11-2014 07:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 08:50 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Many of the people that I come in contact with are other moms of my kids.

Is there something you wanna tell us? Big Grin

Drooling some of those mommas are hawt!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
15-11-2014, 01:46 PM
(14-11-2014 08:39 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Whenever it gets brought up, I always feel really nervous when I am in public places like school and the topic of religion or atheism gets brought up. So much that I find it very difficult to speak what I really want too. I am not really sure why, I think it just has to do with my fear of conflict with others, but does this happen with anyone else here?

How do you deal with that? Recently I got one of those pure agnostics that claim they don't care if there is an afterlife and will "find out when they get there" people. Whom also mentioned that his problem with atheists is that "a lot of them say no one should be allowed to have religion:".

Yeah, one of those Emmy award winners! I wanted to tell him off about that Amazing atheist style but I held back some and said something else then what I should had. Basically that every group has people like that instead of taking the sensible road of that is not true because of X and so forth and then point out the fact that Agnostics are also atheists.

Also, what do you think is a good balance between confrontation and non confrontational approaches to these people?

I'm not particularly comfortable when religion gets brought up mostly because I am not quite as well equipped to deal with people as most are.

That said; I find I am quite comfortable on the topic overall and have no problems stating my beliefs and lack thereof, especially if I am in an atmosphere I am comfortable in.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-11-2014, 02:12 PM
I just switch into a general "fuck you all you cunts and bastards!" mood.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
15-11-2014, 02:25 PM
If you could only hear the conversations I have in my head. My clever, rapier-like wit devastates any and all theists, my words ripping them new orifices, my knowledge beating them to a pulp and utterly destroying their beliefs.

Back in reality, I avoid the subject or deflect when someone else brings it up. There are too many people who are older relatives (and I respect them too much to "destroy" their beliefs), or clients, or others with whom I have a business relationship. I would have to be seriously addled to speak about religion with these people if I intend to continue the relationships.

And......... I tend to get in such a rolling boil over the subject I end up sputtering and spouting off such deep insights as, "Oh yeah? Well, you're a doody-head!"

Instead, I grace you all with my presence and find kindred spirits who understand. Lucky you. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
15-11-2014, 03:43 PM
I'll talk about it openly with anyone.
I'll also walk away without a word if it feels like it could become hostile.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Doesn't bother me to talk about it. I dont like the debate thing, but I'll discuss with anyone. Anyone who is negative to me because I'm an atheist isnt worth the time or energy to worry about.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
15-11-2014, 11:47 PM
If it's any consolation, I tend to get really uncomfortable mentioning the fact that I'm a Catholic, especially a Traditionalist Catholic. Then again I live in Toronto and I often hang out downtown at the various independent music venues which tend to be pretty liberal. It's also really difficult to hide since people invariably ask what I do and I say that I'm a student. They then ask where I go to school. And eventually I tell them I''m going to a private Catholic University so they tend to find out.

It can get awkward sometimes. This Thursday I was at the Cameron House (a Great place to go for Music and a Pint (and smoke weed with the band for those who smoke)) and some girls were dancing and so I asked one girl if she wanted to do a cool dance. And so I swing danced with this girl for the last song of the night and everyone in the pub was really impressed (I gotta say knowing how to swing dance is great for picking up chicks, so far I've gotten 2 Facebook friends and a phone number after maybe 5 occasions and 3 of those I was wearing a banana costume so I don't know if they should count). Anyways I went out to finish my cigar and one of the guys out smoking asked me where I learned to dance.

I said I learned at University

He asked If I joined a dance club

I said no, I go to a very conservative Catholic University and so we learned to dance differently.

He then joked well you don't have to be modest here. We then shared an awkward laugh but that basically ended the conversation.

I know its not quite what you guys face since for some of you it can be outright persecution but I always feel that although I'm having pleasant enough conversation I know that if it went into deeper territory, I'm probably going to be at odds with everyone there.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 3 users Like TarzanSmith's post
16-11-2014, 12:36 AM
I can barely debate theist on the internet :/ . It causes me too much mental anguish too hear the dribble that people are so often want to say. I avoid the topic as much as possible.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
16-11-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm comfortable talking about my former theist life, and now atheist life. I'm comfortable talking about how I also wrestle still with missing pieces of my former theist life. Having said that, I don't bring it up, or initiate dialogue, but if someone wishes to discuss religion, I'm game.

Relating to being confrontational, that's not my style in general. I don't need to spar with someone over religion, as having been a theist myself, I understand the various reasons that people follow faith. Most often, those reasons have little to do with logic, so to debate theists is somewhat of a waste of time, but then again...there were atheists who helped me find truth when I was a theist, so your efforts to discuss theism vs. atheism with a theist, might very well not be in vain.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
16-11-2014, 01:37 AM
I don't go looking to discuss religion, but sometimes people can't bloody well leave it alone. If people ask directly I don't shy away, but mostly I leave it at that. If they try to cause shit with me or say something dumb though ("Atheists believe in God, they just don't want to admit it so they can SIN more!") then I do my best to be the pigeon to their statue.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post