How comfortable are you talking about it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2014, 02:15 AM
RE: How comfortable are you talking about it?
I rarely bring it up. I'm not uncomfortable even around the nuttiest people. If they ask me my beliefs I'll happily lay it on them. If they don't ask, I don't care enough to bring it up.

And for me agnosticism is a broad label that involves applying scientific skepticism towards everything. Atheism is the stance I lean towards based on that skepticism. But neither of those really define who I am.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
16-11-2014, 04:02 AM
With the knowledge I've gained on the subject of religion over the last 2 years I've grown comfortable identifying as an atheist and discussing it openly. In fact I readily look to bring it up but I'm a smug asshole who loves telling religious nutters how stupid and wrong they are.
16-11-2014, 04:10 AM
Being a Brit I naturally assume everyone else is an atheist as well. Even in southern Germany though where people are more religious the conversation never came up. Although that may be because my German was never good enough to join in. There was once a conversation at lunch time about Judaism (we had Jewish bosses).
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
16-11-2014, 05:37 AM
How comfortable?

Fuck 'em!

That's how comfortable.

There is pleasure to be found in the icy silence of a taxi driver after you've enquired as to how they reconcile their beliefs with the growing body of knowledge that points to the non-existence of their Allah, their Moses, their Noah and their Jesus.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
16-11-2014, 06:59 AM
It depends on how they want to talk about it, a former friend was a Christian bully that just wanted to throw his apologist stereotypes about atheism in my face, note that I said he's a FORMER friend.

After putting up with a Christian bully, I think a good approach might be to have Tyrion Lannister's approach to it and laugh about it if put on the spot:

[Image: 635b72a892ad73bfc2cab27b7165b4cca0464c7d...0dbf05.jpg]

Though I love to discuss how fucked up Christianity is, philosophy, etc. if someone's mind isn't locked into groupthink theism.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-11-2014, 07:14 AM
For me, it varies a lot with the circumstances. If I'm talking to people I know well and the topic is "my beliefs", I'm quite comfortable. I'm probably least comfortable in a mostly Christian group that is currently discussing atheism in a negative light. I don't generally get into those conversations IRL, but I do in Facebook. The lack of face-to-face conversation makes those types of conversations easier. Still, I find myself trying to pick the most friendly angle to the topic to get them to realize that they're likely either misrepresenting the other side or they're taking the words of a few "extremists" and presenting them as the thoughts of all atheists.

If I don't take an extra nice approach, a lot of them will declare me "militant" and then go into full-scripted attack mode. All discussion is done at that point.
16-11-2014, 07:26 AM
(16-11-2014 07:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If I don't take an extra nice approach, a lot of them will declare me "militant" and then go into full-scripted attack mode. All discussion is done at that point.

I guess the only thing to do in that situation is break out the heavy calibre knife and fork and go for the kids.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-11-2014, 09:03 AM
I also live as though Valhalla exists even though I know it doesn't, and will freely discuss my 'belief' in it as if it's fact and everyone should know it. Makes things more interesting.

'Murican Canadian
16-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Re: RE: How comfortable are you talking about it?
(15-11-2014 11:47 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  If it's any consolation, I tend to get really uncomfortable mentioning the fact that I'm a Catholic, especially a Traditionalist Catholic. Then again I live in Toronto...

When I was Catholic, it wasn't quite the same. I wouldn't say Traditionalist, though. But It's fairly normal being a Catholic frog in Nova Scotia. Smile
16-11-2014, 12:06 PM
If it's someone I know, very uncomfortable because the run-ins with them in the future would be very awkward. If its someone I do not know and figure there's a chance I won't see them again then I will be more than ready to unload on them.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze