How comfortable are you talking about it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: How comfortable are you talking about it?
(19-11-2014 02:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  It's extremely rare for me to have an opportunity to talk about it. There are very few places I feel like I can be open - being approached by random strangers on the street is about the only time I feel like I can state my honest opinion. I'm uncomfortable with it because I don't have the opportunity to talk about it anywhere but here. I'm also afraid to make enemies at my fairly new place of employment - I'm well aware my supervisors are Christian as well as most of my coworkers (surely there has to be at least one other atheist among them).

I am in the closet with both my family and my in-laws. There are far too many religious leaders in my family and I really don't want to be the topic of gossip, not do I want to be disowned/disinherited.

Is OK Smile I spent plenty time inna closet myself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 03:44 AM
It's really strange reading all your accounts and feelings towards this subject. Over the past year or so I think I've gathered that the US can be very hostile and uncomfortable for atheists, is that right?

In Britain it's fine tbh. Nearly all Christians I've ever met are basically pascals wager Christians. I've never met a Jew.. which is strange when I think about it. Muslims are the only ones that seem to have open days at mosques and such so that people can learn about Islam rather than read about it in the news (it turns out to be a passively-aggressive version of middle-eastern Islam)... Though nearly all British muslims I've met are really nice people, with a good sense of humour! All the Sikhs (they claim to be Sikhs) I've met actually spend most of their time ridiculing Islam and Christianity. These are just my experiences though.

I do feel uncomfortable when discussing it with others that I haven't met before because usually they all stand up for the religious side of the argument and don't listen to a word you say because in Britain the infantile presumption is that Religious people = Peaceful people. So if you are debating a religious person you're a "hater" or "spreading hate". Lol.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
19-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Quote:"Over the past year or so I think I've gathered that the US can be very hostile and uncomfortable for atheists, is that right?"

Depends on your region, as well as your family. It's my impression that religion is not a big deal in the northeast, pacific, and most large cities. In most areas, however, being publicly atheist is political suicide.

I live in the southeast - "hostile and uncomfortable" would be adequate descriptors.

A Pascal's wager Christian is not a "true" Christian and needs to get "right" with god.

Atheist is one of those words that are half whispered in polite society, with that slight pause before the word. It'd be less scandalous for me to have an affair or an "illegitimate" child.

I was encouraged to marry a Baptist, Methodist, or Presbyterian. I was forbade to marry a Hindu, a wife-beating Muslim, a polygamous Mormon, and most definitely not an atheist who would surely be a sociopath. Jew was debatable as they are gods chosen people. Many in my family don't even consider Catholics to be Christians because they engage in idolatry and don't have a personal relationship with Christ, as they pray to Mary, saints, and have to go through a priest. But atheism?! The outright rejection of our creator?! My family would take it as a rejection of themselves and in turn reject me from the family. My brother was kicked out at 18 for not going to church one Sunday morning, after staying up late the night before working late delivering pizzas. He had to live out of his truck until he had enough money for an apartment in the ghetto. He is also in the closet - he didn't become an atheist until age 32 in 2013.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
19-11-2014, 05:42 AM
(19-11-2014 05:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My brother was kicked out at 18 for not going to church one Sunday morning, after staying up late the night before working late delivering pizzas. He had to live out of his truck until he had enough money for an apartment in the ghetto.

Jesus... that's pretty fucken savage. That parents would do this kinda shit to their own kids... it's fucken crazy. You need religion for that I guess...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-11-2014, 05:47 AM
(19-11-2014 05:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 05:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My brother was kicked out at 18 for not going to church one Sunday morning, after staying up late the night before working late delivering pizzas. He had to live out of his truck until he had enough money for an apartment in the ghetto.

Jesus... that's pretty fucken savage. That parents would do this kinda shit to their own kids... it's fucken crazy. You need religion for that I guess...

And this is how anti-theists are born.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
19-11-2014, 06:39 AM
(19-11-2014 05:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
Quote:"Over the past year or so I think I've gathered that the US can be very hostile and uncomfortable for atheists, is that right?"

Depends on your region, as well as your family. It's my impression that religion is not a big deal in the northeast, pacific, and most large cities. In most areas, however, being publicly atheist is political suicide.

I live in the southeast - "hostile and uncomfortable" would be adequate descriptors.

A Pascal's wager Christian is not a "true" Christian and needs to get "right" with god.

Atheist is one of those words that are half whispered in polite society, with that slight pause before the word. It'd be less scandalous for me to have an affair or an "illegitimate" child.

I was encouraged to marry a Baptist, Methodist, or Presbyterian. I was forbade to marry a Hindu, a wife-beating Muslim, a polygamous Mormon, and most definitely not an atheist who would surely be a sociopath. Jew was debatable as they are gods chosen people. Many in my family don't even consider Catholics to be Christians because they engage in idolatry and don't have a personal relationship with Christ, as they pray to Mary, saints, and have to go through a priest. But atheism?! The outright rejection of our creator?! My family would take it as a rejection of themselves and in turn reject me from the family. My brother was kicked out at 18 for not going to church one Sunday morning, after staying up late the night before working late delivering pizzas. He had to live out of his truck until he had enough money for an apartment in the ghetto. He is also in the closet - he didn't become an atheist until age 32 in 2013.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, pascal wage christian is not really a christian haha, says so much about England!

Awful story Sad Luckily my whole family have always been non-religious, I think my mum and dad would do the "i don't know" thing... we're Irish descendants so most of us were labeled catholics and baptized and such but I think only my grandad in my whole family goes to church. He's never mentioned it once to me in his whole life though.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
19-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Not comfortable at all. I am surrounded by lots of religious people. Most all of my friends and family are super catholic. My kids go to catholic school. I have a big fear of being given the cold shoulder by my friends and family if I speak out.
19-11-2014, 09:35 AM
If someone asks, I am completely open about it.
19-11-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't really discuss religion with anyone. But then I don't really interact with a lot of people so that makes it easier to just not engage.

For a while I belonged to a breast cancer support group but stopped attending functions because I was so tired of hearing the God talk. One of the long-standing members was married to a preacher of some flavor or another and another of the founding members couldn't say two sentences in a row without referencing God. I have a real issue being thankful to their god when it follows that their god gave us the cancer in the first place. I was so heavily outnumbered by the religious that I just drifted away. It wasn't the venue to battle belief.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-11-2014, 12:02 PM
(16-11-2014 06:59 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It depends on how they want to talk about it, a former friend was a Christian bully that just wanted to throw his apologist stereotypes about atheism in my face, note that I said he's a FORMER friend.

After putting up with a Christian bully, I think a good approach might be to have Tyrion Lannister's approach to it and laugh about it if put on the spot:

[Image: 635b72a892ad73bfc2cab27b7165b4cca0464c7d...0dbf05.jpg]

Though I love to discuss how fucked up Christianity is, philosophy, etc. if someone's mind isn't locked into groupthink theism.

Bacchus? I would worship Bacchus or Dionysus, if someone told me they worshiped him I would be enthralled to talk about it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson