How conservative Christianity is committing suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
How conservative Christianity is committing suicide
LostLegend asked about liberal Christianity committing suicide. Now, I'm going to ask about conservative Christianity.

Foremost in my thoughts on the subject is this story about Franklin Graham. Short version: The heir to Billy Graham's organization was pissed off at a recent Wells Fargo ad in which they acknowledged that the LGBT community might actually be part of their potential clientele. He called on Christians everywhere to boycott Wells Fargo, Tiffany's, and any other businesses that even think of having LGBT clients in their ads, and led the charge by transferring all of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's funds out of Wells Fargo and to another bank... which, it just so happens, is a big supporter of the Miami Gay Pride parade.

Oops.

Criticize Graham's starting premise (hatred of the Other) all you want... the FUNNY part of his goof was that if he'd just asked a few questions rather than simply embrace the new bank unquestioningly, he would have at least avoided the "oops" part. Is it just me, or is there something inherently suicidal about an institution insulting, decrying, alienating, and ostracizing all members who engage in honest inquiry over blind faith? When you keep throwing away your best and brightest, pretty soon all that's left is a box of dim bulbs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
11-06-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: How conservative Christianity is committing suicide
I think its only a matter of time before they will be pushed out of existence, conservative Christianity is very much self destructive, the way thing are progressing in society they would have to boycott everything, even going outside to satisfy their insanity. But I think that is the eventual fate of Christianity overall eventually, at least the way we see it today in the States. Please correct me if im wrong but I don't see any other Christian groups really speaking out much against what "conservative" Christians are saying which implies to me that they are at best apathetic, and at worst agreeing with them.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
(11-06-2015 12:03 PM)Worom Wrote:  I think its only a matter of time before they will be pushed out of existence, conservative Christianity is very much self destructive, the way thing are progressing in society they would have to boycott everything, even going outside to satisfy their insanity. But I think that is the eventual fate of Christianity overall eventually, at least the way we see it today in the States. Please correct me if im wrong but I don't see any other Christian groups really speaking out much against what "conservative" Christians are saying which implies to me that they are at best apathetic, and at worst agreeing with them.

Oh, liberal Christianity will willingly denounce them (or at least disagree and distance themselves from them) from the pulpit microphone.

But the problem is that it is just a pulpit and just a microphone. Society at large doesn't notice that. Not when the other side is using megachurches and nationwide broadcasts. And liberal Christianity isn't willing to upgrade past the pulpit and the microphone. They're quite content to let conservative Christians retain the national spotlight unchallenged.
11-06-2015, 12:24 PM
While I said in the other thread that I don't think liberal Christianity is committing suicide, I can't say the same for Christian fundamentalism. It is super unpopular with millennials. I wouldn't be surprised if Christian fundamentalism is regarded as the lunatic fringe within the next two to three generations.

It is punctuated, if not defined by a strict refusal to compromise. As time goes on, society is becoming more tolerant and understanding of different people, and no matter what spin the fundies put on it, they can't stop from making themselves look like hateful bigots. In fact, their "best" argument is to claim that everyone else is bigoted against Christianity. They come off as hateful, petulant, children willing to pop their ball rather than share it.

Good riddance.
[+] 10 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Here's another example: http://www.albertmohler.com/2015/06/10/w...e-to-hide/

Summary: Billy Graham started a conservative Christian magazine back in the day to counter damn dirty liberal Christian magazines. A former editor came out not in support of gay marriage, but staying the church should support and encourage people in gay unions like they world a heterosexual marriage.

The interesting bit: The current editor wrote saying the guy was completely wrong but basically finished saying that as Christians they should all still be approaching each other in love on this question and with due respect. It was this that is driving conservatives crazy.

In other words conservative Christians are not only split over gay marriage but at driving themselves apart on questions of just how ruthlessly they should go after their own members who don't hold the line.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-06-2015, 10:40 AM
My guess is that because BB&T is headquartered in North Carolina he, or his financial people assumed B&T would not be gay friendly. After all, NC just passed legislation yesterday that would allow magistrates to not marry ANY couple (not just gays) based on their religious convictions, so NC should is throwing gay-unfriendly vives...

Both actions show the intolerance of fundies. And both Franklin Graham and the NC legislature will end up with egg on their faces that they themselves threw. Yeah, they are lashing out like a wounded animal and hastening their own demise.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
12-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Well opposed to others as I said I disagree with this evaluation because I do see it still strengthening a base. There may be less growing into the mindset but it's an idea that is internally steadfast to people that doesn't crack due to inconsistent desires.

Unless I'm just not grasping at all what you people think committing suicide means and what I think it means. I never viewed it as, simply.. losing numbers because of it's ideas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Fundamentalist number will decline with new generations where "tolerance" is the societal norm, but from my perspective they have the majority in their corner. Most might not come out and publicly agree or support the fundamentalist position but I believe the majority share in their bigotry. Most are just smart enough not to publicly admit their agreement and just keep their homophobic slurs in house.
12-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Y'know... I bet he would actually praise the bank if they created some sort of program for the prison to help the murderers, rapists, thieves, and child molesters with their finances... like a form of faith and forgiveness for those that have committed crimes.

However, if the bank indirectly supports a man placing his dong in an non-female orifice, it's all HELLNAWWWW!!!

All sin is a sin in God's eyes unless you're gay.

Facepalm

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]