How could Putin lose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 12:58 AM
How could Putin lose?
I was thinking lately that on the international scene, Putin is having a field day. With the Brexit, the Europeen Union, already weakenned and struggling to recover from the 2007 financial crisis, is losing influence, vigor and prestige. In the US, the election of Trump and than his catastrophic failure at establishing a stable and efficient presidency as severely weakenned this country on the international scene. It seems that no matters happen, Putin's regime will be making massive gains on the short term. With such weakenned Western nations, he might be able to impose his leadership on the international scene which would have some very dark consequences. How could he possibly lose on the short term? Many intellectuals have predicted the fall of the supremacy of the United States on the international scene since the end of the Cold War. With the enormous structural and leadership problem the country is accumulating are we already witnessing the beginning of the end? Personnaly, I don't like the look of the potential next hegemonic powers.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
18-07-2017, 01:03 AM
RE: How could Putin lose?
LOL I read the title and thought you were referring to some Russian election and I thought "He can't he rigged the election."

And then it occurred to me, the answer to your question also is, "He can't he rigged the election." HAHA

It's funny and it's sad Sad

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
18-07-2017, 01:15 AM
(18-07-2017 12:58 AM)epronovost Wrote:  ...
he might be able to impose his leadership on the international scene which would have some very dark consequences.

Such as...?

Unsure

18-07-2017, 01:22 AM
(18-07-2017 01:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
he might be able to impose his leadership on the international scene which would have some very dark consequences.

Such as...?

Unsure

Such as making sure that treating homosexuals like second tier citizens is good thing (Russian law against "promoting" homosexuality) or that faux democracy is way to go. But I wouldn't speak about those using the term consequences, rather I would use word example which Russia can set without being international leader. Already when I read comments on Polish right wing sites I see tone of admiration for KGB spook and his actions toward homosexuals or general approval for Putin strong man authoritarian persona.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
18-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Folks,

With the West distracted, Putin will be quietly working in Ukraine, reinforcing Sevastopol, deepening support and control with Assad in Syria, working with China over calming the Korean thing.

The biggest prize is with a weakened EU, and Russia's perennial interest in the Baltic and buffer states around Russia's Western borders. Then, there is current opportunity in the Arctic for more oil and gas.

No doubt this is Russia's time, probably the best since Stalin. Smile

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
18-07-2017, 03:44 AM
(18-07-2017 02:18 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  No doubt this is Russia's time, probably the best since Stalin. Smile

I see the smile but do you have some clue what are you talking about? Best since Stalin? Do you realize how much suffering his criminal rule brought to USSR and it's neighbors?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-07-2017, 11:04 AM
(18-07-2017 01:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Such as...?

Unsure

Here is a list of a few things Putin is actively trying to achieve.

1) Keep Assad in power in a unified Syria.

2) Make the concept of Human Rights as currently defined in the UN charter a thing of the past

3) As Szuchow mentionned it, roll back on LGBTQ rights, but you can also add women's right to this.

4) Finance, arm and stabilise numerous dictatorship in Central Asia

5) Weaken the conception of Liberal Democratie around the world for a Authoritarian Regime with a varnish of democratie.

6) de-secularisation of the civil society.

7) re-segregation of the civil society based on race and gender.

8) weakenning international institution to the profit of more or less secret alliance.

9) strengthening of the concept of corporatist governements.

10) imperialist views on baltic and even some balkanic States.

I really don't like any of those.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
20-07-2017, 03:05 PM
11) Strengthen Iran

12) Try to establish/maintain relatively high prices for oil, with consequent shot-in-the-arm to Middle Eastern theocracies

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
20-07-2017, 03:39 PM
I don't think the Russian economy is doing that well (??), it's one of the reasons he was so intent on having the sanctions lifted. They really hurt him. That's how any government falls. All the money at the top, and the base disaffected. Sound familiar ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-07-2017, 03:49 PM
It is not Trump that ruined the US outside the borders of your continent. That is the doing of a continually, horribly stupid and shortsighted foreign policy over several presidents since the late 60's, early 70's. Trump is just the icing on the cake.
That foreign policy ensured the cooperation between the most unlikely allies you can imagine; Russia, China and Iran. The only similarity they have is a deep, deep dislike of the US of A and its actions. A sentiment that, maybe much to your surprise, is predominant throughout much of the world by the way.
Will that have some very dark consequences? Oh yes, it will. Mainly for you as a nation, since you are running out of allies/friends that you need not buy and the line of nations that would turn their backs on you in a heartbeat grows, the last to do so very publically was the Philippines. Maybe not a big deal, but a sure sign.

Yes, he wants to keep Assad in power. Why? In order to avoid having yet another extremist muslim state at his borders. States that have been created by the generous help of the US of A, again during the late 60's and early 70's up till quite recently. And Assad is an ally to Iran and so we go back to the aforementioned highly unlikely alliance. Having it as an ally, create a military/naval base there and have access to the Mediterranean no doubt is a reason too.
Does he have imperialistic views in regard to the Baltics? We over here sure do hope not, since we'd be on the receiving end, but looking at the strategic situation, one can see he might just be forced to act. Why? Since NATO, under guess who's leadership, is tightening the noose around Russia, which is feeling more and more cornered. Lobbying heavily in the Scandinavian countries, NATO/the US is working to deprive Russia of yet another ice free access to the Atlantic and thus the world's oceans. Vital for Russia's existence. It also just might need the Baltic and Balkan states to guard its borders, since there are more and more countries at that border that are being used as NATO/US military bases with missiles, air forces and ground troops.

The conception of liberal democracy is a term the US of all should use least. There are numerous examples of the US bringing "democracy" to countries around the world and we know what happened to those...... about the same thing as what happened to many former allies, discarded after the US no longer had any use for them.

So all in all one might come to the conclusion the US is stepping into the very mess it created. And now it points the finger at all those bad, ungrateful and disobedient nations for turning their backs.... Blaming the usual bogies.

You folks probably still think of the US as the guardian of the world, bringing democracy, peace and prosperity. Well, the last time that happened was in 44-45, but after that the US has grown into the neighbourhood bully, especially in recent decades.

Is Putin an all out good guy and saviour??
Not in the least!! He has some pretty disturbing and unnerving ideas and many of us on this side of the Large Pond still look nervously eastward. But many of us do not look with trust westward either anymore.

I find it ironic that from the 10 points DLJ mentioned 8, maybe 9 apply more to the US really. Apart from keeping Assad in power and maybe the Human Rights thing, but I am not to sure about that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Ron NL-S's post