"How could you believe that?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
RE: "How could you believe that?"
(07-12-2012 01:21 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  About the physical world, making it a claim about the physical world.

That's like saying that making the claim that sunlight is warm is a claim about the sun, but not about its physical effect felt here on Earth.
No, not really.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
(07-12-2012 01:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If it has a manifestation in the physical world, or has some impact on the physical world, then any claim made about it is a claim about some aspect of the physical world and related phenomena.

Were it a claim completely outside of all physical realities as we know it, then you could claim it to be a nonphysical and purely metaphysical claim, but you can't have it both ways that metaphysics can exist in the physical world and not subject to it, and outside of it and unimpacted by it. If you want to make that claim, then I expect to see evidence of it. And that should be doable as that claim implies it manifests itself in the physical world in a knowable way.
Ummm, that IS metaphysics. Metaphysical doesn't have to be affected by the physical but can affect the physical.

The physical has a set of determined rules and standards; metaphysics does not - which is why it can very much affect the physical without being affected.

07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
For instance, there is potential that even other universes exist. These physical realities have an impact on our own, despite being separate in some way.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421...universes/

This is preliminary and my understanding is that a new, more sensitive satellite is being commissioned to test this idea and the data.

It is a claim about our physical universe and another physical universe (or 4) with evidence.

Evolve
07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
"The physical has a set of determined rules and standards; metaphysics does not - which is why it can very much affect the physical without being affected."

Here is a claim about the knowledge of the unknowable metaphysical. If it is unknowable, how can anything about it be known? It is a concept outside of reality.

Evolve
07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
(07-12-2012 01:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  For instance, there is potential that even other universes exist. These physical realities have an impact on our own, despite being separate in some way.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421...universes/

This is preliminary and my understanding is that a new, more sensitive satellite is being commissioned to test this idea and the data.

It is a claim about our physical universe and another physical universe (or 4) with evidence.
Never argued anything like this.

Not sure what you're getting at.

07-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I like it.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
(07-12-2012 01:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "The physical has a set of determined rules and standards; metaphysics does not - which is why it can very much affect the physical without being affected."

Here is a claim about the knowledge of the unknowable metaphysical. If it is unknowable, how can anything about it be known? It is a concept outside of reality.
Thank you!

The unknowable claim that God created evolution is outside any provable evidence of physical reality; thus, making it a metaphysical claim.

07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
(07-12-2012 01:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I like it.
I liked your like.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
And how would the lack of rules allow it to interact with the physical universe but not be impacted itself? Do you have any examples where something has an impact on something else with no impact on itself?

And it is a claim about the physical world if it is a claim about something in it.

Evolve
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I like your like of the post were you say you liked my like.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post