How'd you like to see a living Mammoth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2012, 03:32 PM
RE: How'd you like to see a living Mammoth?
(20-09-2012 09:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Erxy can take care of it. He can have it as a pet. As you can see he already has a similar one to practice on.

[Image: C1F7406BE06945FB50C484281044FE.jpg]

Now we know where all that BS came from.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2012, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 04:24 PM by Janus.)
The 'rationale' put forth by proponents for cloning a mammoth is that we want to see what that extinct species looked like. But that 'rationale' is complete BS because it is redundant already. We can do that now: we can see exactly how they looked, and lived, with their brethren, in their original environment/ecosystem! And we can see that much quicker and much more conveniently than if we have to go through the tedious hit and miss process of cloning.
Much cheaper too!

With 'CGI', Computer Generated Imagery, we can see it all from our armchairs – like this. And with holographic (3D++) CGI, the next big thing in image technology, we can each have our own mammoth in our own backyard! And we won't have to travel to some far off (is)land to see it.
And the next big thing after that will be tactile holographic CGI: when you can actually touch, feel, and cuddle that mammoth in your backyard...

Cloning is sooo 20th century!
20-09-2012, 04:08 PM
(20-09-2012 04:05 PM)Janus Wrote:  The 'rationale' behind cloning is that we want to see what an extinct species looked like. But that 'rationale' is complete BS because it is redundant already. We can do that now: we can see exactly how they looked, and lived, with their brethren, in their original environment/ecosystem! And we can see that much quicker and much more conveniently than if we have to go through the tedious hit and miss process of cloning.
Much cheaper too!

With 'CGI', Computer Generated Imagery, we can see it all from our armchairs – like this. And with holographic (3D) CGI, the next big thing in image technology, we can each have our own mammoth in our own backyard! And we won't have to travel to some far off (is)land to see it.
And the next big thing after that will be tactile holographic CGI: when you can actually feel and cuddle your mammoth...

Cloning is sooo 20th century!

No, we can't. We don't know what the fur, feathers, hair, scales looked like or what color they were, for instance. You can only CGI the best guesses.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-09-2012, 04:12 PM
(20-09-2012 04:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, we can't. We don't know what the fur, feathers, hair, scales looked like or what color they were, for instance.

Yes, we can: we can grow all that, separately, in a petrie dish! Like we already do with human skin and organs from stem cells. We don't need an entire, living, breathing, damned animal to find that out.
20-09-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 04:21 PM by Chas.)
(20-09-2012 04:12 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(20-09-2012 04:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, we can't. We don't know what the fur, feathers, hair, scales looked like or what color they were, for instance.

Yes, we can: we can grow all that, separately, in a petrie dish! Like we already do with human skin and organs from stem cells. We don't need an entire, living, breathing, damned animal to find that out.

No, you can't. Embryology.

The development of the embryo is a process. There is no way to get the separate tissues other than creating the entire animal. That's the way DNA works.

Unless you're assuming we are starting from an entire corpse. Then we know what it looks like, but we are still only guessing at how it moved, what its behaviors were.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2012, 04:19 PM
(20-09-2012 04:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you can't. Embryology.

The development of the embryo is a process. There is no way to get the separate tissues other than creating the entire animal. That's the way DNA works.

So... it's all, or nothing at all. Consider I like it. Cuts down on the riff-raff. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-09-2012, 04:22 PM
And by that I mean; Jeff Goldblum's head with a fly's body.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-09-2012, 04:24 PM
(20-09-2012 04:22 PM)kim Wrote:  And by that I mean; Jeff Goldblum's head with a fly's body.

You mean he doesn't actually look like that? Shocking

20-09-2012, 04:26 PM
(20-09-2012 04:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-09-2012 04:22 PM)kim Wrote:  And by that I mean; Jeff Goldblum's head with a fly's body.

You mean he doesn't actually look like that? Shocking

Mm.. Undecided you may be on to something there.

20-09-2012, 04:27 PM
We cannot "grow all that" in a Petrie dish. For example, the process of "growing" a mammalian heart in the lab is not even finished, as an individual project, to say nothing of the countless supporting nerves, tissues, and other organs and structures, for any one, given specie, which would be required. I know of no lab that is working on "growing" feathers, for example. It would be FAR easier to do it as a "surrogate" (hopefully not rejected), pregnancy, in a closely related live animal, which might also help in the early rearing of the animal.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SC- got it right this time- Columbian Mammoth Bows and Arrows 1 87 15-05-2014 03:50 PM
Last Post: Impulse
  Living on Mars =jesse= 18 282 01-03-2014 10:01 AM
Last Post: Chas
  origin of life:what would be our approach the problem if were not living beings. minass 7 370 19-11-2012 04:03 PM
Last Post: Phaedrus
  The living turd. kingschosen 32 1,739 14-10-2012 11:32 PM
Last Post: Birdguy1979
  Could aliens be living on planets deep within black holes? GassyKitten 10 1,146 28-04-2011 12:30 AM
Last Post: nodas