How'd you like to see a living Mammoth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2012, 09:46 PM
RE: How'd you like to see a living Mammoth?
(22-09-2012 08:03 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 07:27 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I think cloning opens up some awesome possibilities. Just think of what can be observed not just through analyzing dna, but bringing a specimen to life and seeing how it behaves. Would be interesting to see how ti goes.

Absolutely! It would also be amoral to the point of immoral, in my opinion. And, in real life terms: virtualization/simulation is a million times faster and a million times cheaper... Big Grin

In what way is it immoral?

The creation of a simulation would not be terribly faster or cheaper. That's a lot of research and development.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Immoral is heavily subjective depending on how you view things. I see nothing immoral with bringing back a creature from the ice age based off of dna. Immoral would be bringing it back and then feeding it people as food. Even that would be subjective based off who we feed to it Wink
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Bringing back an individual creature knowing – condemning it to – that it will never live in its own ecosystem, will never know its siblings or any other individuals of its own species, and will never be able to procreate its own species is what a perverse, immature, and sadistic god would do.

I hate perverse, immature, and sadistic gods.
23-09-2012, 10:15 PM
(23-09-2012 09:57 PM)Janus Wrote:  Bringing back an individual creature knowing – condemning it to – that it will never live in its own ecosystem, will never know its siblings or any other individuals of its own species, and will never be able to procreate its own species is what a perverse, immature, and sadistic god would do.

You seem to be anthropomorphizing the creature. It will have never had any experiences except what it gets as it is raised.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-09-2012, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2012 08:11 AM by Janus.)
(23-09-2012 10:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2012 09:57 PM)Janus Wrote:  Bringing back an individual creature knowing – condemning it to – that it will never live in its own ecosystem, will never know its siblings or any other individuals of its own species, and will never be able to procreate its own species is what a perverse, immature, and sadistic god would do.

You seem to be anthropomorphizing the creature. It will have never had any experiences except what it gets as it is raised.

It will be completely different and completely alone for its entire life. And it will know/feel that it is.

BTW, I think 'anthropomorphizing' should be 'anthropomorphing'. And, as you see, anthropomorphing is now scientifically not only perfectly acceptable, but even recommended to do justice to animal psyche.
25-09-2012, 08:34 AM
(25-09-2012 08:00 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(23-09-2012 10:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  You seem to be anthropomorphizing the creature. It will have never had any experiences except what it gets as it is raised.

It will be completely different and completely alone for its entire life. And it will know/feel that it is.

BTW, I think 'anthropomorphizing' should be 'anthropomorphing'. And, as you see, anthropomorphing is now scientifically not only perfectly acceptable, but even recommended to do justice to animal psyche.

No, 'anthropomorphizing' is correct.
We keep pets, for instance dogs. Many are never in the company of other dogs.

25-09-2012, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2012 10:21 AM by Janus.)
(25-09-2012 08:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  We keep pets, for instance dogs. Many are never in the company of other dogs.

Yes, and that is inherently – but unconsciously – cruel and insensitive of their owners.
01-10-2012, 07:55 AM
(22-09-2012 05:10 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 08:28 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  ice age wasn't that long ago.. Not long enough for massive genetic changes. Only enough for species to go extinct. Most ice age fauna still exists today in some form.

They do? Most? Must have missed them then.
Please list, say, a dozen typical large ice age mammal species – from typical ice age ecosystems of course; not the tropics – that still exist today 'in some form' (if they are not in the 'original' form their genetic make-up has changed, obviously).
I thought you were talking about food for the mammoth.. Wasn't bringing up other extinct species.

I doubt they would be needed for the resurected mammoths survival.

If we do bring the mammoth back it will be fine for food sources. The plants don't change much.

Giving them enough genetic diversity to be reproductively viable on their own again. That will be the challenge!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss