How'd you meet your significant other?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 05:50 AM
RE: How'd you meet your significant other?
I followed her home.

I noticed her car had a busted up front driver's side fender, and I had a couple spares...

I didn't know it was a woman driving, till she got outta the car....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Unsurprisingly, I met my wife in a pub. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 8 users Like Marozz's post
05-03-2017, 06:40 AM
My wife and I met by exchanging letters about our common interest in lucid dreaming (this was before email). She lived in Pennsylvania and I lived in Texas. After I flew up a handful of times for dates, we were finally married in the summer of 1993. Then I moved up and found a job.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
05-03-2017, 06:49 AM
At work. He was working as a diesel mechanic and I was hired on to my first bookkeeping job after being a stay at home mom for several years. He had been divorced for a few months and I was going through a divorce.

He's nearly eight years younger than I am and at the time he was a pretty much a partier and a brawler. Our boss told me to stay away from him....so, of course I married him.

It's been 25 years and we are more roommates than SOs. At this point we just know no one else would have put up with either one of us this long.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 07:10 AM by Dom.)
Husband #1: we met in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich and got drunk together. We got married a year later and after 10 years he got cancer and died.

Husband #2:
I had recently bought the first PC out - a Tandy. The data were kept on a cassette recorder (and the tape kept tangling and messing up data). Then this new thing came out - a floppy drive! So I went to a "computer swap" (like a flea market with all things computer) to find out more about it. I started asking 1000 questions of the vendor who kept being distracted by customers. A guy behind me started answering the questions. We ended up going to get some coffee and before you knew, the whole day was gone. I bought a floppy (no case), went home and put it in a cigar box and hooked it up. We had exchanged phone numbers and started conversing by computer, over the phone which had to be put in a special cradle. At the end of the month my phone bill was through the roof.

So we started meeting. We lived a two hour drive apart, so soon this turned into overnighters. We grew close quickly and then we had to see if we could live together and introduce our dogs to each other - he had 2 toy poodles and I had a Saint Bernard and a Great Dane mix. Miraculously, it worked out.

A month later he moved in with me, a year later we got married. Sadly, after 30 years he got cancer and, after fighting for a year, died.

You could probably say that we were the first to date online, before the interwebs even existed.

Husband #3 will never happen, I'm done burying them. Sadcryface

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
05-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Oh the pressure!
We were "fixed up" by a friend. Our first meeting was at her drive in teller booth with me cashing my check. Turns out the wrong receipt was returned in this mutually gratifying encounter.
Boy, back in 1978! What a lucky day for me that was.

You have to be odd to be #1.
05-03-2017, 07:39 AM
(05-03-2017 07:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Husband #2:
I had recently bought the first PC out - a Tandy. The data were kept on a cassette recorder (and the tape kept tangling and messing up data). Then this new thing came out - a floppy drive! So I went to a "computer swap" (like a flea market with all things computer) to find out more about it. I started asking 1000 questions of the vendor who kept being distracted by customers. A guy behind me started answering the questions. We ended up going to get some coffee and before you knew, the whole day was gone. I bought a floppy (no case), went home and put it in a cigar box and hooked it up. We had exchanged phone numbers and started conversing by computer, over the phone which had to be put in a special cradle. At the end of the month my phone bill was through the roof.

Oh wow, a Tandy? That's old-school. That's circa Commodore PET and the Apple II, at the tail end of the 70's.

[Image: trs80-i.jpg]

^ Tandy TRS-80 ^

Fun Fact: Tape is still the go-to solution for cheap and long term data storage. It is slow, and is therefore relegated almost entirely to enterprise and government usage; but to this day IBM, Fujifilm, and SONY are decking it out for newer and higher capacity storage. The current crown is held by Fujifilm and IBM, with a tape that can hold 123 Billion (with a B) bits of data per square inch. 4 inches could store 220 million books, enough to require a bookshelf that would span the distance between Houston, Texas and Las Vegas, Nevada.

[Image: FUJI_LTO7_1511.jpg]

^ A common and commercially available 6 Terabyte cartridge. ^

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-03-2017, 08:37 AM
(05-03-2017 07:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 07:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Husband #2:

Oh wow, a Tandy? That's old-school. That's circa Commodore PET and the Apple II, at the tail end of the 70's.

[Image: trs80-i.jpg]

^ Tandy TRS-80 ^

Fun Fact: Tape is still the go-to solution for cheap and long term data storage. It is slow, and is therefore relegated almost entirely to enterprise and government usage; but to this day IBM, Fujifilm, and SONY are decking it out for newer and higher capacity storage. The current crown is held by Fujifilm and IBM, with a tape that can hold 123 Billion (with a B) bits of data per square inch. 4 inches could store 220 million books, enough to require a bookshelf that would span the distance between Houston, Texas and Las Vegas, Nevada.

[Image: FUJI_LTO7_1511.jpg]

^ A common and commercially available 6 Terabyte cartridge. ^

That's exactly what it was, a TRS-80. It was an amazing thing - and who knew how it would change the world.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-03-2017, 12:32 PM
You all have some really awesome stories.

(05-03-2017 02:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  in 1986 we got engaged and married in 1988.

Today I learned that Moms got engaged the year I was born...yet somehow is still not a day over 29. Angel

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-03-2017, 12:55 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user