How did/do you justify your belief in a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 07:56 PM
How did/do you justify your belief in a god?
For atheists this is only if you can recall, its been a decade for me and I can't even remember in the slightest how I managed to justify my belief.

For theists please don't feel shy about speaking up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2016, 08:08 PM
RE: How did/do you justify your belief in a god?
I was raised in my religion. I didn't know anything else (or any better). My family, friends, community, church all reiterated the belief in God. There was no other option.

As I grew older and left home and went out to see the world (so to speak), I realized that there was life outside my small religious community. I was exposed to so many different ways of thinking, being, cultures, religions in college and in the various places I've lived.

Despite all of this, my decision to leave religion was not an easy one mostly due to fear of what if I'm wrong and God smites me type of deal Wink But after researching and looking behind the curtain and a lot of soul (for lack of a better word) searching, I can no longer justify my beliefs. And here I am, one of those bad atheists my mother warned me about Tongue
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
18-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I grew up in a place where everyone agreed with my religion so I never had to justify it and honestly never even knew there was any other way to believe until I learned what atheism was and realized it described me better than any religion could and it lined up with other facts I had already come to accept.

If I had to say I had any justification it was only that it was all I was taught so far and it was what everyone in my family and my friends also believed in, which is a terrible reason to justify any belief.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
18-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Well, I only had belief as a child. Though I would barely even call it belief. I simply trusted that my older relatives knew what they were talking about. Once I was old enough to form my own opinions, and realized what a delusion was, I tossed that shit aside.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
18-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Theist here. It makes me feel happy and it makes sense to me.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
18-11-2016, 08:24 PM
(18-11-2016 08:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Theist here. It makes me feel happy and it makes sense to me.

Can you elaborate a little more on the sense part? Keep in mind I'm not asking you to prove your god, I just want to try and see things from your perspective.
18-11-2016, 08:25 PM
I rationalized the account in Genesis as metaphorical, other aspects of it, I put aside and didn't think too much about it.

When I decided to resolve the question of what I really believe, I came to the realization that I hadn't believed much of Christianity for a while.

The realization that I had already rationalized away major parts of it was a turning point, there was nothing but an empty husk left after I seriously examined my religion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-11-2016, 08:35 PM
When I was little, it was how I was raised. Eventually I had some stuff happen, that I've detailed elsewhere before, that convinced me to be Saved. Then eventually I grew disenchanted with both a vicious worldly minister out for his own gain and being told to just shut up and believe, and started to look at other things. Neo Pagans kept me Christian while I searched; eventually found Catholicism most closely matched my interpretation of the Bible and had history, and welcomed questions (or at least each parish I've been to has). Or to quote Aliza, " It makes me feel happy and it makes sense to me."

(18-11-2016 08:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And here I am, one of those bad atheists my mother warned me about Tongue
See, I know folks who would claim you're under Satan's spell, not for the atheism, but for the yoga. Tongue Those would be Baptists and non-denoms, not Catholics though.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
18-11-2016, 08:50 PM
(18-11-2016 08:35 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  When I was little, it was how I was raised. Eventually I had some stuff happen, that I've detailed elsewhere before, that convinced me to be Saved. Then eventually I grew disenchanted with both a vicious worldly minister out for his own gain and being told to just shut up and believe, and started to look at other things. Neo Pagans kept me Christian while I searched; eventually found Catholicism most closely matched my interpretation of the Bible and had history, and welcomed questions (or at least each parish I've been to has). Or to quote Aliza, " It makes me feel happy and it makes sense to me."

(18-11-2016 08:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And here I am, one of those bad atheists my mother warned me about Tongue
See, I know folks who would claim you're under Satan's spell, not for the atheism, but for the yoga. Tongue Those would be Baptists and non-denoms, not Catholics though.

Yeah, I've heard that from a few Christians Dodgy I usually just tell them yoga is older than Jesus Wink and was around before Genesis. So really, Adam and Eve should have been doing yoga in the Garden of Eden. Tongue
18-11-2016, 08:57 PM
(18-11-2016 08:35 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  When I was little, it was how I was raised. Eventually I had some stuff happen, that I've detailed elsewhere before, that convinced me to be Saved. Then eventually I grew disenchanted with both a vicious worldly minister out for his own gain and being told to just shut up and believe, and started to look at other things. Neo Pagans kept me Christian while I searched; eventually found Catholicism most closely matched my interpretation of the Bible and had history, and welcomed questions (or at least each parish I've been to has). Or to quote Aliza, " It makes me feel happy and it makes sense to me."

I was raised Irish Catholic. Lots of praying on rosaries and praying to dead saints. Wink I substituted my rosary for mala beads and the saints for a Ganesh statue. Obviously as an atheist, I don't pray on my mala or to Ganesh. I just use the mala for a mediation count to zen out. And Ganesh, I just think he's cute and I like the symbolism.