How did/do you justify your belief in a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 08:38 AM
RE: How did/do you justify your belief in a god?
(19-11-2016 06:31 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I like speaking metaphorically but a lot of people here seem to take things literally.

It is difficult to know when somebody is being anything other than literal until you get to know them, especially in a text-based forum where body language and intonation isn't available to supplement the message. Metaphor is fine, but it helps if you identify it or qualify your terms so we know you aren't being literal.

We also often get theists pretending to be atheist/agnostic and using imprecise language and equivocation to try to score points. That sort of posting triggers a bit of a defense mechanism.

Quote:So you were always an atheist?

I was. I don't remember ever actually believing any of it. It was no more "real" than Greek mythology or Aesop's fables; just a set of stories that sometimes had moral lessons embedded and sometimes were just stories.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Church had free cookies after Sunday school. What other reason did I need at that age?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
19-11-2016, 09:20 AM
My grandmother bribed me with toys so that I'd go with her to church. Eventually that wasn't enough, which says a lot about how much I hated going because I loved getting new toys.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
19-11-2016, 12:11 PM
(18-11-2016 11:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The atheist and the Jews don’t jump off the cliff because we both understand that gravity is a law, its effects are not going to be cancelled, and neither of us takes it personally. It’s just the way it is. Likewise, when “bad things” happen, we don’t place blame with G-d any more than we’d blame gravity for pulling us to the ground. Rather, we look at ourselves and try to understand how we screwed up and what we can do to improve in the future.

Maybe it's just me as an outlier as a catholic, but you won't find me jumping off a cliff any time soon after praying, because I know I'm going to fall to my death due to cause and effect. Though I understand what you're saying about intercessory prayer and petition and such. Very much hold a similar view on things, albeit with the belief that God may intervene in some situations.*

*But not Darwin award level crap like those snake handlers who are like "let's play with venomous snakes based off one verse in the Bible!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
19-11-2016, 12:26 PM
(19-11-2016 06:31 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(19-11-2016 06:08 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For someone with a -9 rating, this is a great question.

It was my own failures each negative reputation is justly deserved, for in each one they tell me that I need to improve how I reason with others. Metaphorically speaking at least. I like speaking metaphorically but a lot of people here seem to take things literally.

(19-11-2016 06:08 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For someone with a -9 rating, this is a great question.

I grew up knowing about the ideas of god, the devil, heaven & hell and a couple stories in the bible, but they were all taught to me as stories, as fiction. No one presented it as anything other than that.

I had nothing to justify, because there was no belief.
I was lucky to have such good parents & grandparents.

So you were always an atheist?

Yes, but I never knew such a word existed until I was in my 40's. I'm 51 now and about the same time I discovered the word atheism, I also found out there were people who believed in creationism, tide into a belief that the world was only 6,000 yrs old.

This blew me away that someone in an age of computers & cell phones could believe such things.
It was truly a shock to me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post