Poll: How did life arise in the universe?
Via some natural process
Via the product of intellect
Life has always existed.
We don't know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How did life arise in the universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2014, 08:50 AM
RE: How did life arise in the universe?
(26-10-2014 08:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  How did life arise in the universe?

Abiogenesis seems to me the most plausible answer, even if the details are still uncertain. I say this in the same way that I say that I say I think it's likely that Oswald shot Kennedy. It's the hypothesis that seems to have emerged on top of the controversy. I'm not an expert, and while I might be interested in reading up on it, I've got other things I want to study first. The question is of purely academic interest to me, and I am not the person to represent the subject. If you're interested, I suggest you go pick up a few journals on the subject. (Actual, peer-reviewed journals, not pop-science periodicals like Nat Geo.) Most university libraries will allow you free access to them. Take careful note of evidence being examined and processes being employed. I'd strongly recommend that you study the actual work, rather than limiting your inquiry to straw-manning of the subject by its detractors or even lay summaries by its proponents.

That said, I can guess from your posting this in Atheism and Theism forum and, well, from you being you, that you think the answer is God. I'm happy to agree to disagree on this point. I have neither obligation for nor interest in dissuading you from your faith.

If your question is actually a poorly-disguised attempt to engage us in some sort of apologetic argument, at least have the courage and honesty to come forward and say it. Present your argument openly and clearly, rather than slinking around to it in some sort of uncertain and insecure ambush tactic. If it's a good argument, you should be brandishing it boldly, confident that it is both persuasive and proof against critique. If it's a bad argument, your technique will be refined for it being exposed as a bad argument, and you can eliminate the flawed tool from your arsenal. Either way, you're better off.
[+] 14 users Like Reltzik's post
26-10-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2014 01:09 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
First of all, I think the question should be "How did life arise on Earth?", because that's the only instance of life we know of and that we can test. We don't know if other types of life can arise given different conditions. Not all life forms need oxygen to survive, for example.

So we are certainly very far from understanding how life arose in the Universe, unless tomorrow we get visited by science-dedicated aliens that want to help us develop our knowledge and technology, but I'm afraid that's slightly unlikely.

As far as Earth is concerned, well, for certain we don't know yet. We don't know anything for certain, and we don't think we've totally understood something when we discover the explanation behind a certain phenomenon. That's kind of why we have "theories" and not "laws" anymore.* We can explain something, but we don't know if we're only touching an aspect of it. This does not mean that Theory is less than Law, it's only a different naming for us to show some... humility towards the unknown (check the link below to understand this point, Neil explains better than I do).

But as Reltzik says, the modern most plausible answer seems to be Abiogenesis. I'm curious to see how it will develop in the next years, I'm always excited to see our knowledge expanding and improving.

———
* = Neil deGrasse Tyson, In defense of the Big Bang, from minute 3:28 to 6:23

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 6 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
26-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Let's start with the most honest answer I personally can give. "I don't know"

I know experiments have been done that show how inorganic molecules placed in a similar atmospheric environment that the earth had a billion years ago or more can cause protein chains, some of the building blocks of life, to form. So it has been shown that organic molecules can arise from inorganic molecules under certain conditions.

Given more time and more experiments, I think we will gain more knowledge about abiogenesis

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Well presumably not by the product of an intellect, otherwise you are talking about life already existing to have created the first life.

Oh, hang on. You don't mean an intellect within this universe. You mean an intellect outside the universe.

Ok. I'll bite. How do you think life originated in the universe? ... and by that I mean how do you think life originated outside the universe in order to be seeded into this universe by a creative process?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
26-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I am somewhat encouraged to see you answered "I don't know" to this poll. However I am tempering that with my knowledge of your past posts. Strictly speaking the answer is "I don't know" but we have to weigh in what we know about the universe and how it works. This allows us to draw some conclusions, tentative though they might be. On all present evidence abiogenesis seems the most likely answer to the question. In fact at the present time it is the ONLY theory that holds any weight. The other options given are implausible.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
26-10-2014, 10:32 AM
The second option is redundant because intelligence is also a natural process.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
26-10-2014, 10:49 AM
3. It is tao. [Image: meditate.gif]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-10-2014, 11:49 AM
(26-10-2014 10:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The second option is redundant because intelligence is also a natural process.

Not the way Woodie means it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-10-2014, 12:15 PM
(26-10-2014 10:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  3. It is tao. [Image: meditate.gif]

[Image: tao.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post