Poll: How did life arise in the universe?
Via some natural process
Via the product of intellect
Life has always existed.
We don't know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How did life arise in the universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: How did life arise in the universe?
(26-10-2014 09:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Let's start with the most honest answer I personally can give. "I don't know"

I know experiments have been done that show how inorganic molecules placed in a similar atmospheric environment that the earth had a billion years ago or more can cause protein chains, some of the building blocks of life, to form. So it has been shown that organic molecules can arise from inorganic molecules under certain conditions.

Given more time and more experiments, I think we will gain more knowledge about abiogenesis

You don't mean 'inorganic molecules' because those are molecules not containing carbon. You'll never get organic molecules from inorganic ones. You need carbon.

And the correct answer is E) I don't know, but abiogenesis seems the likeliest answer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rik's post
26-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Don't know about the universe but for earth, it didn't

see http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/All_Good...episode%29

Quote:Q transfers them back to Earth, about 3.5 billion years in the past. He shows Picard the sky, which is full of the anomaly. Picard then realizes that the anomaly is expanding as it moves back in time. Q then shows Picard a pool of green sludge, a pool of amino acids. They are about to combine to form the first proteins, however, the disturbance from the anomaly stops the combination as it happens. Life on Earth doesn't start, and the anomaly stopped the creation of Humanity. Figuring out the puzzle, Picard is transported back to the past Enterprise.

Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2014, 05:02 PM
If only it was that easy, Bucky... Rolleyes

And! We don't know is an unacceptable answer for this section. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-10-2014, 05:06 PM
(26-10-2014 05:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If only it was that easy, Bucky... Rolleyes

And! We don't know is an unacceptable answer for this section. Tongue

It is the only acceptable answer that does not require a qualifier such as "I think"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-10-2014, 05:07 PM
It's a combination of "we do not know" and "natural processes". I believe that life as we know it is extremely common. Once the conditions are just right for life to get started, it does so automatically. There are no extraoridnary circumstances that need to be met for the first cells or whatever to start appearing. So comets hitting the planet or the exact right god like lottery numbers to be pulled up. It just happens under the conditions when they are right. We do not know where the first cells came from on our planet or how the very first stuff all got here and started, but we know the processes of just about everything else of how it all formed and became what it is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-10-2014, 05:08 PM
How could it not?

#sigh
26-10-2014, 05:37 PM
(26-10-2014 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How could it not?

More to the point, how could it arise elsewhere? I mean, the universe is pretty much the only candidate location that we know of.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
26-10-2014, 05:46 PM
(26-10-2014 05:37 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How could it not?

More to the point, how could it arise elsewhere?

How could it not?

#sigh
26-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Can I answer both 1 and 4 to this?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post