Poll: How did life arise in the universe?
Via some natural process
Via the product of intellect
Life has always existed.
We don't know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How did life arise in the universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 11:22 PM
RE: How did life arise in the universe?
(29-10-2014 07:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 08:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Self replicating molecule prone to occasional mutation.

Uuuuuuuuh....

.... under that definition, WE'RE not alive. DNA is not, strictly-speaking, self-replicating. It needs a host of support mechanisms within a cell (including separate RNA and a variety of resource-collection functions) in order to replicate. And nothing larger than DNA, ie a cell, would count as alive, because it wouldn't be a molecule.

I was gonna say that too, but He's such an idiot troll i've not seen any point in communicating with him.

In that case, we are made up of billions of "life" but don't fit the definition of life.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-10-2014, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 03:46 AM by Mathilda.)
(29-10-2014 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 09:32 AM)natachan Wrote:  I find that an un satisfying definition. It applies to crystals, minerals, all sorts of things that are inorganic.

Life requires: metabolism, self-replication (reproduction), and internal self-regulation. Life is a combination of phenomena. As such the emergence of life was a gradual process.

crystals do not mutate.

Re-heat it just enough, let it cool again and you will get a different pattern. Both crystals, life and everything within the universe ultimately self organise by minimising free energy.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
30-10-2014, 12:07 PM
(30-10-2014 03:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  crystals do not mutate.

Re-heat it just enough, let it cool again and you will get a different pattern. Both crystals, life and everything within the universe ultimately self organise by minimising free energy.

Emergent broken symmetry: another thing ol' Heywood has never bothered looking up.

... this is my signature!
30-10-2014, 12:09 PM
(30-10-2014 03:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

And how is this reproduction with mutation?
30-10-2014, 12:11 PM
(30-10-2014 12:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 03:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Re-heat it just enough, let it cool again and you will get a different pattern. Both crystals, life and everything within the universe ultimately self organise by minimising free energy.

And how is this reproduction with mutation?

It isn't. She's speaking only to the principle of emergent order.

Do you try to misrepresent people, or does it come naturally?

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
30-10-2014, 12:25 PM
(26-10-2014 08:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  How did life arise in the universe?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but God did it and that's final. No further research is required.
30-10-2014, 12:32 PM
I am going to go with D followed by A.
30-10-2014, 12:36 PM
(30-10-2014 12:25 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 08:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  How did life arise in the universe?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but God did it and that's final. No further research is required.

I hope that's satire. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2014, 12:52 PM
(30-10-2014 12:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  And how is this reproduction with mutation?

It's trollish behaviour to pretend that I was answering a different question. You didn't specify reproduction. I was responding to this:

I explained how a crystal could change its pattern. Look at snow on the ground when the temperature never rises above freezing but the crystaline structure still slowly changes over the course of several days.
30-10-2014, 06:39 PM
(26-10-2014 09:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Let's start with the most honest answer I personally can give. "I don't know"

I know experiments have been done that show how inorganic molecules placed in a similar atmospheric environment that the earth had a billion years ago or more can cause protein chains, some of the building blocks of life, to form. So it has been shown that organic molecules can arise from inorganic molecules under certain conditions.

Given more time and more experiments, I think we will gain more knowledge about abiogenesis

Yes, I've said many times myself that "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, but religious people don't seem to get the concept that they don't get to make up their own facts. Tongue

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain