How did the Earth look 4 million years ago?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Strange question yes I know here´s my reason.
I love Transformers (except the Bayformers the only good thing about them was Peter Cullen reprising his role as Optimus Prime sure Frank Welker might have been good to if he had been given anything to do which he didn´t) and one of the g1 Transformers set into stone was the the original G1 Transformers crash landed on Earth 4 million years ago.

Now as luck would have it we got a show that takes place during that time where the original Transformers where in stasis lock.

The show was called Transformers Beast Wars and it took place on Earth 4 million years ago.

Now i know the show was aimed at children and as such scientific accuracy might not have been the highest priority.
But lets say just for fun that the guys behind the original show says you know what we´re gone redo the entire show and this time we´re going to stay as scientific (except with the size of the bots) accurate as possible to how earth was 4 million years ago from the individual beast modes to the environment.

You can read here what the individual bots chose as their alternative form:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bea...characters
(you can stop with Transmutate all the other characters below her wasn´t in Beast Wars the two faction Maximals and Predacons are referred to as MX and PR)

Now while most of the predacons took the form of dinosours, which might be very accurate in their actual look (except perhaps Dinobot who is a Velociraptor and his form lacks the feathers the species had, but since the show is from 1996, they might not have known that back in the day. Either that or they where simply riding on the back of Jurrasic Park´s success in using those particular Dinosours).

Its the Maximals where i start to have a problem, i don´t think that any of the maximal beastmodes where around 4 million years ago in their modern form just like humans wasn´t (though from what i have been able to find they got their form pretty accurate with the cgi of the time) so how would a Silver Back Gorilla, Rat, Cheetah etc etc have looked like 4 million years ago?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: How did the Earth look 4 million years ago?
I loved watching Beast Wars as a kid but recall very little.

I know they had real cheetahs in the first episode. Chetor was running and trying to talk with them and they just ignored his robo cheetah ways. I don't know historical biology, I just know beast wars Shy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-10-2012, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 06:15 PM by Erikjust.)
(20-10-2012 06:04 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I loved watching Beast Wars as a kid but recall very little.

I know they had real cheetahs in the first episode. Chetor was running and trying to talk with them and they just ignored his robo cheetah ways. I don't know historical biology, I just know beast wars Shy

You can watch the entire show on Youtube the got the entire series(warning the show hasn´t aged that well in the visual department its early CGI AND IT SHOWS).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMOGPX8-I8

Episode one pretty much shows the entire cast in their beastmodes( with some exceptions).
20-10-2012, 06:11 PM
(20-10-2012 06:00 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  Strange question yes I know here´s my reason.
I love Transformers (except the Bayformers the only good thing about them was Peter Cullen reprising his role as Optimus Prime sure Frank Welker might have been good to if he had been given anything to do which he didn´t) and one of the g1 Transformers set into stone was the the original G1 Transformers crash landed on Earth 4 million years ago.

Now as luck would have it we got a show that takes place during that time where the original Transformers where in stasis lock.

The show was called Transformers Beast Wars and it took place on Earth 4 million years ago.

Now i know the show was aimed at children and as such scientific accuracy might not have been the highest priority.
But lets say just for fun that the guys behind the original show says you know what we´re gone redo the entire show and this time we´re going to stay as scientific (except with the size of the bots) accurate as possible to how earth was 4 million years ago from the individual beast modes to the environment.

(you can stop with Transmutate all the other characters below her wasn´t in Beast Wars the two faction Maximals and Predacons are referred to as MX and PR)

Now while most of the predacons took the form of dinosours, which might be very accurate in their actual look (except perhaps Dinobot who is a Velociraptor and his form lacks the feathers the species had, but since the show is from 1996, they might not have known that back in the day. Either that or they where simply riding on the back of Jurrasic Park´s success in using those particular Dinosours).

Its the Maximals where i start to have a problem, i don´t think that any of the maximal beastmodes where around 4 million years ago in their modern form just like humans wasn´t (though from what i have been able to find they got their form pretty accurate with the cgi of the time) so how would a Silver Back Gorilla, Rat, Cheetah etc etc have looked like 4 million years ago?

4 MYA:
No dinosaurs.
Human and chimpanzee lineage had already split.
Gorillas, cheetahs, rats, looked pretty much like today. 4,000,000 years is not a lot of evolutionary time.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2012, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 06:42 PM by Erikjust.)
(20-10-2012 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  4 MYA:
No dinosaurs.
Gorillas, cheetahs, rats, looked pretty much like today. 4,000,000 years is not a lot of evolutionary time.
They used fossils in the show. Apparently the predacons scanner was strong enough to penetrate the layers of earth and rock to show the fossils of dinosaurs.

Strange that Gorillas hasn´t evolved that much i thought that they had evolved some during the 4 million years.
What about the climate? would it have been like it was today or would it have been hotter with more forest or had they already begun to recede in favor of larger open planes?
20-10-2012, 06:52 PM
(20-10-2012 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 06:00 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  Strange question yes I know here´s my reason.

4 MYA:
No dinosaurs.

You left out the fact that Atlantis was just in its infancy, cultivating the land of Antarctica and creating temporal portals in pyramids all over the world.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-10-2012, 07:18 PM
(20-10-2012 06:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
No dinosaurs.

You left out the fact that Atlantis was just in its infancy, cultivating the land of Antarctica and creating temporal portals in pyramids all over the world.

I didn't feel that something so well-known needed stating. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-10-2012, 07:45 PM
(20-10-2012 07:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 06:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You left out the fact that Atlantis was just in its infancy, cultivating the land of Antarctica and creating temporal portals in pyramids all over the world.

I didn't feel that something so well-known needed stating. Drinking Beverage

Good point. Sorry to trouble you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-10-2012, 04:30 AM
(20-10-2012 06:34 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  
No dinosaurs.
They used fossils in the show. Apparently the predacons scanner was strong enough to penetrate the layers of earth and rock to show the fossils of dinosaurs.

Strange that Gorillas hasn´t evolved that much i thought that they had evolved some during the 4 million years.
What about the climate? would it have been like it was today or would it have been hotter with more forest or had they already begun to recede in favor of larger open planes?

I don't know how much those creatures have changed in 4,000,000 years. It would be interesting to research it, but there aren't many fossils of forest dwellers as forests don't present good opportunities for fossilization.

Climate is variable and the continents change, so the climate of 4 MYA is a complicated question.

23-10-2012, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 07:12 AM by Janus.)
4 MYA the isthmus of Panama hadn't yet closed. Almost, but not quite. North and south America were still separate continents. North America had several sabre tooth 'tiger' species (IRL not related to cats). Several species of homo lived in central, east, and south Africa, and in central Asia. The 'midwest' of North America was a desert like the Sahara is now. The Sahara then was green, and had 7 big rivers. The ancestors of gorillas and homo were a couple large-boned, vegetarian nutcracker homo species. Dinos had been completely gone for 60 million years (some survived the KT extinction for a couple million years). The Himalayas were just a gently rolling countryside then, as India's tectonic plate had only just started to collide with Asia. And Madagascar was just separated from, and in the middle of the process of drifting away from the African mainland. Climates, generally, were warmer, and much more humid than today, and sea levels up to 500 feet lower. Hence continents were appreciably larger.

The world looked very different 4 MYA.
[+] 2 users Like Janus's post