How did this Forum get started?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2011, 05:58 AM

How did this Forum get started?
We take so many things for granted.

Electricity, for example.

Yet, countless centuries were spent in History without it.

This Forum was recommended to me by my wife who found it by accident.

I like it a lot.

So, who started it? When? Why? How?

On what hardware, what software? What kind of Internet connection do you need on your server?

Can anyone start a Forum? What's involved? How much does it cost?

Once started -- how do you get it going?

Is it a one-person job? How many people do you need to keep it going?

What are the rules?

Are there any regulations?

Just curious.
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2011, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 07:08 AM by DeepThought.)
RE: How did this Forum get started?
You just need a hosting account and a few people you can trust to give it attention and keep away spam bots.

Most people don't host stuff themselves though it is getting easier to do with todays technology. I'll be getting a 100mb fiber to my house soon with unlimited uploads. A hosting account and domain is fairly cheap for starting plans. Depends how much traffic you need to deal with.

This software (MyBB) is free and open source. There is quite a bit of software around like VBulletin and PHPBB.

Seth is the one responsible for starting this forum!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2011, 08:14 AM

(17-09-2011 07:05 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Seth is the one responsible for starting this forum!

Who is Seth and why did (s)he start it?

Come on guys, I want the story!

I am a sucker for stories!

Wink
17-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Seth IS TTA!! He is the one doing the podcast and the one behind the hilarious videos! He is THE GUY.
I would assume he wanted the forum and website for numerous reasons one of which I'm sure is so we could all have a place to chit chat and vent. Another I'm sure is self promotion. There's nothing wrong with that either as he needs to support the website and the podcasts and all somehow, plus I'm sure he wouldn't mind someday if he could come out fully and just use his TTA persona to make some dosh. There's nothing wrong with that either.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2011, 11:34 AM

(17-09-2011 11:21 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Seth IS TTA!!

Toronto Transit Authority?

Wink

I guess it stands for "The Thinking Atheist".

Is (s)he here, on the Forum? Could (s)he tell us the story?

OK, I looked up the TTA website and have the story. Sorry for being so dense before.
17-09-2011, 05:40 PM
creating something like this is very easy.
try searching for vbulletin and phpbb they are two of the most common forum creation tools i remember. (ignore the technical stuff, you can have them setup automatically)
you can find hosts for the site easily, some free, some for money, you get what you pay for usually.
if you want an actual website that contains forums as well, try finding a host that offers 'cpanel', many will offer it for free.
you can make a fully functioning, nice looking website with a forum and store for around $10 per month + $10 per year with little or no web design experience.
when jumping into the world of web hosting.. DO YOUR RESEARCH on the people you give your information to. the more impatient you get, the worse your experience can be.
if you have more questions about creating your own site, forums or online community of any type, feel free to private message me. please remember, i don't like you, but i'm glad to help you for free.

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
Find all posts by this user
17-09-2011, 05:58 PM

(17-09-2011 05:40 PM)dredmal Wrote:  please remember, i don't like you, but i'm glad to help you for free.

Oh well, you can't win them all!

Big Grin